+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: New EFL TV deal

New EFL TV deal

ALL midweek games to be available on Sky.
    All games not played at 3pm on a Saturday allowed to be streamed on club websites.

Will it affect City?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/44437...ip-game-on-tv/

Re: New EFL TV deal

Quote Originally Posted by BR1 Bluebird View Post
    ALL midweek games to be available on Sky.
    All games not played at 3pm on a Saturday allowed to be streamed on club websites.

Will it affect City?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/44437...ip-game-on-tv/
    Nah, we'll be in the Premier League then.

Quote Originally Posted by Mambo View Post
    Sky are doing this to try and stop the probable fairly large number of championship team supporters watching streams perhaps ?

Instead allow the clubs to stream their own games and they then charge fans to watch - a % of the money goes back to sky. Seems sensible enough - I'd pay to watch city non 3pm away games - as long as it was about a fiver.
    I think a lot of midweek Championship games are up against Champions League games on BT so makes sense for Sky to just have as many match options as they can. If you're a Championship fan and your team is away at a match you can't reach on a Tuesday or Wednesday you'll probably watch your team rather than the Champions League.

I should say those matches streamed on club websites apply only to games not on Sky. So if City are on a Friday night for Sky then it's not available. If it's moved because of a rugby international then it probably will be.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Nah, we'll be in the Premier League then.
    Deal runs until 2024. But we'll be in some sort of UEFA super league breakaway by then.

Quote Originally Posted by BR1 Bluebird View Post
    Deal runs until 2024. But we'll be in some sort of UEFA super league breakaway by then.
    Playing our 39th PL game in Beijing

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    Playing our 39th PL game in Beijing
    On the moon.

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    I can see a model in the future where Sky will televise a match - ie just the pictures and adverts - and the club can provide their own commentary. Sky charge the club x amount and the club charge x amount to pay per view.

Am I right in thinking at the moment clubs cant see a pay per view package of their own ? . In reality all you need a couple of blokes with a few HD cameras and an internet connection
    This is what will happen in the future but probably in association with the broadcasters.

I thought this was great at first but now I think itll be detrimental to attendances. Massively.

I believe the 3pm kick offs have always been unavailable to people in this country in order to protect attendances and therefore club revenue. However with attendances being a smaller percentage of club income these days with the the astronomical tv deals I can see why the bigger clubs want to open up their games to a wider fan base.

I think in the near future , Amazon , Netflix , Facebook etc will enter the market and provide subscription services to each club.

I was caught out by how much the sky commentator dramatically announcing "the return of Friday night football" would turn me off yesterday. Football every day of the week just isn't appealing.

It may be contrary to what the police want but as a fan, and as a neutral who may watch a game on TV, I would prefer midweek games to be local derbies in order to boost the odds of a good crowd. Not much worse than at least 10% off home attendance and 200 away fans. We've regionalised the league cup so can we try it with football league?