+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: football rules moodification

football rules moodification

A lot has been said recently about bringing football rules into the 21st.century.A start was made with the introduction of goal-line technology.However,in my eyes lots more needs to be done.
    The main proposal is to reduce the game to two halves of 30 minutes each,with an independent time-keeper stopping time when ball is dead and starting time when play resumes.Many supporters don't like this idea at all,but having put my stop watch on several city games in the second halves the only thing supporters will notice is they will get more football not less.
    I timed the second half of the Qpr game.The referee added on five minutes so it lasted 50 minutes.But when he blew for time my watch said 20 mins 45 secs. of actual playing time.In fact no second half I timed lasted 25 mins. So all these years we have been short changed.

Re: football rules moodification

The referees need to manage the situation properly by enforcing the existing rules, i.e. 6 seconds for a 'keeper to have the ball in his hands and cautions for undue delays. The reality is they just don't bother.
    IMHO the outcome of putting things "on the clock" will be that there will be MORE time wasting as there will be no management of it whatsoever. This may result in 30 minutes of football taking over an hour - or in the worst case as broadcasters get their agenda into the stoppages in play the nightmare of what happens in NFL where a 60 minute game takes 4 hours to complete.
    As an experiment it would be an interesting approach for dealing with the "additional time" at the end of each half.

Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post
    The referees need to manage the situation properly by enforcing the existing rules, i.e. 6 seconds for a 'keeper to have the ball in his hands and cautions for undue delays. The reality is they just don't bother.
    IMHO the outcome of putting things "on the clock" will be that there will be MORE time wasting as there will be no management of it whatsoever. This may result in 30 minutes of football taking over an hour - or in the worst case as broadcasters get their agenda into the stoppages in play the nightmare of what happens in NFL where a 60 minute game takes 4 hours to complete.
    As an experiment it would be an interesting approach for dealing with the "additional time" at the end of each half.
    This is what will happen. Does anyone think canny managers like Mourinho won't do all they can to play the rules to their own advantage? And that won't be for the benefit of the fans hoping for a good game. We'll end up having set pieces for everything, even throw ins.

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbo View Post
    A lot has been said recently about bringing football rules into the 21st.century.A start was made with the introduction of goal-line technology.However,in my eyes lots more needs to be done.
    The main proposal is to reduce the game to two halves of 30 minutes each,with an independent time-keeper stopping time when ball is dead and starting time when play resumes.Many supporters don't like this idea at all,but having put my stop watch on several city games in the second halves the only thing supporters will notice is they will get more football not less.
    I timed the second half of the Qpr game.The referee added on five minutes so it lasted 50 minutes.But when he blew for time my watch said 20 mins 45 secs. of actual playing time.In fact no second half I timed lasted 25 mins. So all these years we have been short changed.
    Lots? Don't over-exaggerate. It has always been like that, and it isn't feasible lower down the leagues. I don't see the need to have to continually improve the game. It is, in my opinion, the best sport in the world and it doesn't need radical changes.

Also, for JumpersforGoalposts, the 6 second law doesn't exist now, it is a reasonable amount of time or something like that.

1)Time keepers as in EGG, so taking it away from the Ref

2)When a player goes off injured, the player who injured him goes off as well

3)Not sure on this one, BUT, teams don't gain any advantage from an opposing player getting booked (future opponents gain by totting up bookings), so maybe 10 minute sin bins.

Having a cuppa now, back later

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post

3)Not sure on this one, BUT, teams don't gain any advantage from an opposing player getting booked (future opponents gain by totting up bookings), so maybe 10 minute sin bins.

2. Do you mean if a player is substituted due to injury, or just if he's off for treatment?

3. Teams do get an advantage, that booked opposition player has to ease off for the rest of the game. Although the point of a booking isn't to give anyone an advantage.

I quite like the idea of an independent time keeper, with a match hooter like in rugby league. Maybe you could have 20 seconds to take a free kick and 10 seconds to take a throw in or goal kick from when it was awarded or the decision is reversed, that would keep the game flowing

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    2. Do you mean if a player is substituted due to injury, or just if he's off for treatment?

3. Teams do get an advantage, that booked opposition player has to ease off for the rest of the game. Although the point of a booking isn't to give anyone an advantage.
    2) Off having treatment, if he has to be substituted, the guilty party stays off till the new player is ready to come on.

3)It's not a great advantage is it. It has been known, for different players to take out certain other players in turn, thus having 2 or 3 booked, for fouling the same player. Going off for 10 minutes would stop this (PS:---the bookings still add up to a ban)

A yellow card isn't supposed to be an advantage, it's more like a final warning/punishment.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Lots? Don't over-exaggerate. It has always been like that, and it isn't feasible lower down the leagues. I don't see the need to have to continually improve the game. It is, in my opinion, the best sport in the world and it doesn't need radical changes.

Also, for JumpersforGoalposts, the 6 second law doesn't exist now, it is a reasonable amount of time or something like that.

Spot on.

The only reason for pissing about with stuff is to justify the men in suits and their salaries.

If it's causing a problem then change it. If it ain't broke then it don't need fixing.

May I suggest fewer rules? Players generally know what a foul is so why not encourage the respect that if you foul someone you stop the game and give them a free-kick; if a player is time-wasting then ref adds on equilavent amount of time and if goalie is time-wasting persistently then he gets two yellows for it; throw-ins and free-kick taken from where the ball stopped; attacking players to have choice of playing advantage or free-kicks; no goal hanging; and jumpers for goal-posts.