+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Buying and selling shares?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Buying and selling shares?

Have anyone done this? Did you make or lose money?

Re: Buying and selling shares?

Buy low, sell high

Thank me later

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    Have anyone done this? Did you make or lose money?
    Yes. Make.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    Buy low, sell high

Thank me later
    Secret is actually to avoid buying high, and selling low.

Watch out for brokers fees or you'll get ferk all.

Only novices buy at the top of the market. Most see how share prices have risen and think they want some of that only to find the market has turned and losses accrue. Making a quick buck is not the best approach unless you have plenty of money to spare and want to gamble. Experienced investors tend to use money they can afford to lose by investing for the long term. Now is not the time to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Making a quick buck is not the best approach unless you have plenty of money to spare and want to gamble. Experienced investors tend to use money they can afford to lose by investing for the long term.
    My very limited knowledge of shares I would concur with that. The fees to trade often outweighs any of the profit made and your always going to be behind the market which is full of professionals and bots. That way you're
    Always going to buy higher than most and it's then a pure gamble.

Better to look at long term options!

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Making a quick buck is not the best approach unless you have plenty of money to spare and want to gamble. Experienced investors tend to use money they can afford to lose by investing for the long term.
    My very limited knowledge of shares I would concur with that. The fees to trade often outweighs any of the profit made and your always going to be behind the market which is full of professionals and bots. That way you're
    Always going to buy higher than most and it's then a pure gamble.

Better to look at long term options!

Read up on index trackers and get involved there. Over the long term you will outperform any managed fund.

Used to dabble a little

used a site Motley fool, listened to advice and sometimes took and sometimes went with what i fancied

made a few quid, but not enough to not work, though i know a dad from the school run who does it full time, his mrs has a great job though, so i think that helps

no never done it

chipspie

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chipspie View Post
    no never done it

chipspie
    You should buy shares in pies.

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post
    You should buy shares in pies.
    he don't share his pies lol

Quote Originally Posted by Mambo View Post
    Invest in a fund instead and let the fund manager do the work with your money.
    ^^^This.

Funds are a much better entry-level investment option that equities. Even for experienced investors funds should be the bed-rock of your portfolio. You may of course do well with an equity but the risks of losing out are much higher than with a fund.

A good option would be to invest in funds, then set up a virtual portfolio where you can see how you would have done had you put money into equities. Hargreaves Lansdown allow you to do this and have an impressive range of info to help you make your choice.

http://www.hl.co.uk/

If you buy funds invest through a broker such as Cavendish Online, Best Invest, Hargreaves Lansdown etc as these firms rebate most if not all of their commission making their money out of the annual charge levied by the fund manager which all, irrespective of who the funds are bought from, have to pay. Do your own research about charges and funds to invest in. The Hargreaves Lansdown site is particularly helpful but this is not a recommendation to use them or anyone as that is entirely down to you. Do not buy direct from the fund provider or worse still through a bank or you will be hit heavily with upfront costs. Now is not the greatest time to buy. I have been investing in equities for 40 years and have had some spectacular losses as well as some excellent gains.

Feedback

forget shares, you may as well be playing with duplo blocks, try investing in CFDs instead. Yyou effectively gamble with other people's money as the broker margin is much lower

Quote Originally Posted by TISS View Post
    forget shares, you may as well be playing with duplo blocks, try investing in CFDs instead. Yyou effectively gamble with other people's money as the broker margin is much lower
    Each to their own but this is dangerous advice to give to someone who hasn't even traded in shares before. They could end up losing a LOT of money.

Over the years dabbled a bit. Tried CFDs, very risky, made a tidy sum and lost most of it. IF you do the direct route of share or CFDs, prepare to invest time in it, otherwise you can easily throw it all down the drain.

I have opted for Managed funds. Charles Stanley Direct have a 0.25% annual charge, and then you pay anywhere from 0.5% to 0.75 on the fds AMC, so assume 1% charge. Buying and selling managed funds tends to be free with most providers.

Now is potentially a bad time as markets are up 20-30% in the last year. But people were saying the same last year, and if you listened then you would have missed out on what has been a VERY decent growth. Managed funds are more of a medium to long term growth strategy, so dont be worried if markets do fall as history shows it only takes 6 months to recoup the losses. So in a year you would probably be back in profit anyway. You can pick funds to match whatever you want.

With ISAs allowing £20k a year, its best to put it in an ISA so there is no tax.