+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Mackems Away

Mackems Away

Sunderland have not won at home since December 17th last year.

When we have the game won can we all sing

Will you ever
    Will you ever
    Will you ever win at home!

Re: Mackems Away

Isn't Mackems a Geordie term. It's like someone from London calling Swansea the Jacks.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Isn't Mackems a Geordie term. It's like someone from London calling Swansea the Jacks.
    No it's just like calling people from Newcastle geordies I think. Just a term used for people from Sunderland.

Edit - or so I always thought

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mackem

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    No it's just like calling people from Newcastle geordies I think. Just a term used for people from Sunderland.
    By Geordies.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    By Geordies.
    Mackem" is a well used and more recently well respected informal name for residents of and people from Sunderland, a city in North East England. Spelling variations include the correct term "Mackem" or also sometimes "Makem". It is also a name for the local accent (not to be confused with Geordie); and for a fan, whatever their origin, of Sunderland A.F.C.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysAway2 View Post
    Sunderland have not won at home since December 17th last year.

When we have the game won can we all sing

Will you ever
    Will you ever
    Will you ever win at home!
    We have a habit of breaking these runs.

They also refer to themselves as Mackems.

My interpretation is Maccums comes from the shipbuilding era/culture: Maccum and Takum (Sp): building ships on the River Wear and launching them down the river. Make them and take them in other words, I am 100% confident on this one 35 years a seaman.

Spedger

International

Quote Originally Posted by Sloop_Jon_Bee View Post
    My interpretation is Maccums comes from the shipbuilding era/culture: Maccum and Takum (Sp): building ships on the River Wear and launching them down the river. Make them and take them in other words, I am 100% confident on this one 35 years a seaman.

Spedger
    Agree, I lived there ( for my sins) and they call themselves mackems. We mak 'em here and we tak 'em there. Quite right

Quote Originally Posted by Sloop_Jon_Bee View Post

Spedger
    This only I thought that the geordies were the sailors

I checked this out. I'm a bit of an anorak too.
    The Geordie name 'could' come from their support for King George and Mackem from the Blue Macs - Republicans. Though it does say the shipbuilding industry is accepted as the terms. Perhaps this was later used ... George / Georgie/ Geordie.
    Wherever it comes from, I'm going for 1-3.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Louth View Post
    I checked this out. I'm a bit of an anorak too.
    The Geordie name 'could' come from their support for King George and Mackem from the Blue Macs - Republicans. Though it does say the shipbuilding industry is accepted as the terms. Perhaps this was later used ... George / Georgie/ Geordie.
    Wherever it comes from, I'm going for 1-3.
    I have never heard of "Blue Macs" in my life. Ether when I lived up there or at ny other time or place. Someone upthere would have known if that were it I feel

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    We have a habit of breaking these runs.
    Absolutely correct.
    History shows that if you have been on a very poor run, you need to be playing Cardiff city to end the drought.