+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Did hooliganism hold CCFC back?

Re: Did hooliganism hold CCFC back?

Post WW2 Britain saw Teddy boys, then mods and rockers followed by aggro on football terraces used as an outlet for low IQ working class males to indulge in recreational violence. South Wales saw a slight variation in that many of the same demographic followed rugby. They didn't scrap with opponents but their wives and girlfriends behind close doors prior to using them as human trampolines.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    and me

I have often said, everything fell into place, my age, the right mates ( and other lads ) around me and the football

good days indeed they will never be repeated

Same here Matt
    add to that our euro cup winner cup entries (cor remember that) lol

Hooliganism absolutely held Cardiff city back.

Yes there were times when a big proportion of the crowd were involved in that kinda thing, but the fact that the crowd was 3000 instead of 13000 for a city of this size without too many other distractions speaks volumes.

Yes the football was crap, but then even more than now money generated by attendances had a big effect on the quality of player you could bring in. If we had bigger crowds the football would have been better.

For those involved it was undoubtedly an incredibly intense, exciting, romantic even time, but for every guy of a certain age who thrived in that environment there were others who would have hated it.
    How many kids weren't allowed to go to the football by their parents because of the reputation? How many didn't enjoy the aggressive tension in the atmosphere?
    I see no coincidence that the "lost generation" of Cardiff fabs, lost to the likes of Liverpool coincides directly with the worst of the hooliganism days.
    Yes every region without a "big" team suffers the same thing but it has always seemed like south Wales, from that era suffered it more than most.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't begin to judge anyone for enjoying it, I can really see the attraction, but looking back after the dust has settled I think it definitely did hold the club back.

The club may as well give up with all the attempts to make away fans feel at home. I know away fans in the premier league year said they did everything to make it all nicey nicey

Multiple 'family clubs of the year'.....if I ask any of my mates who support the big english teams to go to a game, they'll say they don't want to get stabbed. What is the actual point? opinion of cardiff is set in stone

We've got to be one of the least violent sets of fans now in the entire pyramid? (i don't go to away games)

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    Post WW2 Britain saw Teddy boys, then mods and rockers followed by aggro on football terraces used as an outlet for low IQ working class males to indulge in recreational violence. South Wales saw a slight variation in that many of the same demographic followed rugby. They didn't scrap with opponents but their wives and girlfriends behind close doors prior to using them as human trampolines.
    You seem obsessed with the notion of rugby fans beating their wives, there is no more prevalence in this than with football fans, or indeed any event that usually involves lots of people getting drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Hooliganism absolutely held Cardiff city back.

Yes there were times when a big proportion of the crowd were involved in that kinda thing, but the fact that the crowd was 3000 instead of 13000 for a city of this size without too many other distractions speaks volumes.

Yes the football was crap, but then even more than now money generated by attendances had a big effect on the quality of player you could bring in. If we had bigger crowds the football would have been better.

For those involved it was undoubtedly an incredibly intense, exciting, romantic even time, but for every guy of a certain age who thrived in that environment there were others who would have hated it.
    How many kids weren't allowed to go to the football by their parents because of the reputation? How many didn't enjoy the aggressive tension in the atmosphere?
    I see no coincidence that the "lost generation" of Cardiff fabs, lost to the likes of Liverpool coincides directly with the worst of the hooliganism days.
    Yes every region without a "big" team suffers the same thing but it has always seemed like south Wales, from that era suffered it more than most.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't begin to judge anyone for enjoying it, I can really see the attraction, but looking back after the dust has settled I think it definitely did hold the club back.
    Good post, the only slight disagreement I have with you is that I never saw the attraction - that's not quite true actually, I saw the attraction between the ages of about ten and twelve.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Did Leeds players not say that it was a hellish atmosphere and the crowd was truly the 12th man that day

from a personal point of view, you could see the leeds players didnt fancy it right from the word go

a fine line between that pure passion and very intimidating crowd and it spilling over to the scenes we saw, imho they come hand in hand
    My point was that we were a Third Division side in a poor run of form at the time who took on the team who were top of the Premier League (a side who did not indulge in any "squad rotation" at all that day) and we beat them - the players have never got the credit they deserved for that and, although the media coverage during and after the game was over the top, it cannot be denied that there was a lot happening which went above and beyond the "hellish atmosphere" you talk about.

You seem obsessed with the notion of rugby fans beating their wives, there is no more prevalence in this than with football fans, or indeed any event that usually involves lots of people getting drunk.
    Oh no?

Police highlight rise in domestic abuse at Six Nations time - http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wa...-abuse-1932894

Storm over Welsh rugby wife-beating:An official report claims that wife beating increases on international rugby days - http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wa...eating-2474786

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Good post, the only slight disagreement I have with you is that I never saw the attraction - that's not quite true actually, I saw the attraction between the ages of about ten and twelve.
    Completely agree bob it would never be my sort of thing. Different strokes I suppose but I could never understand the attraction of it.

I imagine the figures rise on boxing day, black friday, halloween etc for the same reason.

There is no debate on which set of fans are more civil, football & rugby. No debate whatsoever

Some of the red faced, walking heart attacks I've seen abusing the ref with kids around during cardiff games are embarrassing.

People that have a pop at rugby are lucky rival games dont occur often in football. Wales v england a few years ago, fighting all day in the centre

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I started watching the club in 1992, i was 12. At that time the air of trouble and mischief was an attraction. It felt quite rebellious at the time, hardly any of my friends supported Cardiff City, and it seemed that fewer of their parents wanted them to be there. If i had been caught up in any trouble at that time there would have been no chance that i would have been able to deal with it. However the chance and the rumors about it did give a sense of excitement.

It seemed to me at that age the only chance of young people going to watch Cardiff City was to have an older relative that already went, and knew that it wasn't wall to wall fighting, and that trouble was rare. There was a fear from parents that they couldn't just take their child who was interested in football down to watch Cardiff City for the first time, because they would more than likely get caught up in violence.

This obviously holds a football club back in regards of finances and that is what drives a club forward.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post
    I imagine the figures rise on boxing day, black friday, halloween etc for the same reason.

There is no debate on which set of fans are more civil, football & rugby. No debate whatsoever

Some of the red faced, walking heart attacks I've seen abusing the ref with kids around during cardiff games are embarrassing.
    There is a debate, people are people. When people spend a day out drinking and watching sport, civil behavior sometimes goes out of the window.

I have supported Cardiff City home and away over a period of 20 year, and i have seen some bad behavior on these trips. I have also been on Wales six nations trips. In my opinion some of the worst behavior that I have seen has occurred on a couple of occasions in Ireland. Again i'm talking about being caught up in extreme violence.

You can meet some nice people, and some right idiots in whatever sport you are watching.

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    There is a debate, people are people. When people spend a day out drinking and watching sport, civil behavior sometimes goes out of the window.

I have supported Cardiff City home and away over a period of 20 year, and i have seen some bad behavior on these trips. I have also been on Wales six nations trips. In my opinion some of the worst behavior that I have seen has occurred on a couple of occasions in Ireland. Again i'm talking about being caught up in extreme violence.

You can meet some nice people, and some right idiots in whatever sport you are watching.
    Ye I suppose..

This is the difference. In the centre at the rugby you will find trouble, as people come down purely to drink, in the ground nothing whatsoever. The game is just an excuse for the people in the pubs.

At the football it is usually the opposite. Not that there has been violence at wales football games in a while. Because there aren't many games with a rivalry that occur often. We'll see what happens with ROI, with them drinking like their lives depend on it.

What there isn't a debate on, is which side has the most glory hunters. Both sides are full to the brim with them!.

Oh no?

Police highlight rise in domestic abuse at Six Nations time - http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wa...-abuse-1932894

Storm over Welsh rugby wife-beating:An official report claims that wife beating increases on international rugby days - http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wa...eating-2474786
    A few minutes spent on Google you will be able to find police also highlighting spikes in domestic violence around old firm fixtures in Glasgow, and around Christmas , those thuggish Christians eh?

A few minutes spent on Google you will be able to find police also highlighting spikes in domestic violence around old firm fixtures in Glasgow, and around Christmas , those thuggish Christians eh?
    As you well know, the issue you chose to dispute concerned Welsh eggers. Now you make a poor attempt to procrastinate. Link me any report or info that suggests there's a spike in domestic violence by Welsh football fans following games or competitions.

Hundreds of thousands go to wales rugby games in cardiff

33k if that go to watch the football. Not in the centre. Not even a drinking occasion really. No rivalries with the home nations

We've had one away end in the football this entire qualifying campaign

Yep, i would love to take my little grandson in a couple of years, but mum is already saying noway because of the trouble. Takes a long time for prejudices to go away.

As you well know, the issue you chose to dispute concerned Welsh eggers. Now you make a poor attempt to procrastinate. Link me any report or info that suggests there's a spike in domestic violence by Welsh football fans following games or competitions.
    There were plenty of warnings around surges in domestic violence during euro 2016. This may have been primarily aimed at England fans, but if you think this is an issue that effects Wales rugby fans, England football fans, old firm football fans yet somehow not Wales football fans then you are either extremely naive or deliberately misleading.

The effect during rugby internationals here is more visible due to the much higher numbers of people involved.

No links to support your meandering - why's that? I know, you're making it up as you go along. Face it, some Welsh rugby fans love putting the welly in behind close doors.

No links to support your meandering - why's that? I know, you're making it up as you go along. Face it, some Welsh rugby fans love putting the welly in behind close doors.
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/123670...ng-tournament/

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...events/263570/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_1971358.html

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics...over-christmas

Plenty of links out there to show that there are spikes at national tournaments (involving England, but surely there is not a huge change in trend with Wales), and over Christmas.

Oh no?

Probably has more to do with drinking than rugby though.

Hooliganism definitely held CCFC back. `

No matter what another mb would say, hooligans were cowards. The main trouble being at Shrewsbury, Exeter, Hereford, Torquay etc.

A number of these guys consider themselves as being there to protect 'scarfers.' Most were usually middle class, fashion conscious and wanabee tough guys.

It's a fairly well known fact these pricks used to go to Chelsea to live out their fantasies.

I knew several people who wouldn't dream of taking their children to games. It did hold the club back. Totally different times now.

I'm venting now.

Quote Originally Posted by Louth View Post
    Hooliganism definitely held CCFC back. `

No matter what another mb would say, hooligans were cowards. The main trouble being at Shrewsbury, Exeter, Hereford, Torquay etc.

A number of these guys consider themselves as being there to protect 'scarfers.' Most were usually middle class, fashion conscious and wanabee tough guys.

It's a fairly well known fact these pricks used to go to Chelsea to live out their fantasies.

I knew several people who wouldn't dream of taking their children to games. It did hold the club back. Totally different times now.

I'm venting now.
    Middle class? What planet are you on? The Docks, Barry and Valleys were as un middle class as you could get.

I've also seen plenty of so called 'scarfers' as you put it getting stuck in on many occasions back in the day! I think you're talking a load of old pony there Louth mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Phill Stants brother View Post
    Middle class? What planet are you on? The Docks, Barry and Valleys were as un middle class as you could get.

I've also seen plenty of so called 'scarfers' as you put it getting stuck in on many occasions back in the day! I think you're talking a load of old pony there Louth mouth.
    Talk about stereotyping. The guys watched one too many out of touch panorama documentarys.

Quote Originally Posted by Phill Stants brother View Post

I think he's referring to the the aUthoR.