+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: No one's mentioned Tomlin's free kick which led to Saturday's equaliser...

No one's mentioned Tomlin's free kick which led to Saturday's equaliser...

The boy could probably do with a lift after a difficult day so, with the benefit of Ifollow's match highlights, his 95th minute free kick was well-executed and goalbound forcing Westwood into a bit of a hash at the base of his near post. The gk could only parry it out for Mendez-Laing - no more than a couple of yards out - to square it for Bamba to force home.

Let's hope this court case gets settled quickly so Tomlin can be given his chance to start a few games. No doubt he is grateful to the manager for showing faith and eager to show gratitude.

Re: No one's mentioned Tomlin's free kick which led to Saturday's equaliser...

Quote Originally Posted by Cowbridge Blue View Post
    The boy could probably do with a lift after a difficult day so, with the benefit of Ifollow's match highlights, his 95th minute free kick was well-executed and goalbound forcing Westwood into a bit of a hash at the base of his near post. The gk could only parry it out for Mendez-Laing - no more than a couple of yards out - to square it for Bamba to force home.

Let's hope this court case gets settled quickly so Tomlin can be given his chance to start a few games. No doubt he is grateful to the manager for showing faith and eager to show gratitude.
    If he's guilty let him stew in Prison. Why should he get away with violence?

Going down going down going down!
    😂😂

Quote Originally Posted by Jursset_BrisCity View Post
    Going down going down going down!
    ����
    Hi Jursset,

Please can you remind me of the last time you beat us, if you're behind us in the league and the last season you finished above us?

Kind Regards,

Pedro

I found the free kick interesting. I felt, like you, that Westwood had made a bit of a hash of it which threw me because he's such a good keeper. Tomlin had been playing mind games with him while setting it up and just before he takes it he crouches down to look at a gap in the wall as though he's going to put it far post. This bothers a defender who turns round to make sure where Westwood is. I'm not sure whether Westwood falls for it or not but he does seem a bit slow in getting to the ball, excellent free kick but it's at a good height for him and not right in the corner. He looks in two minds when Tomlin runs up to take it, tentatively taking a couple of steps to the right but keeping his body weight to the left which makes him a little slow in getting to the ball. Maybe there was nothing more he could do but fair play to Tomlin for trying to unsettle him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFI_dz1L9o4 (the free kick comes at around 7.20)

I've never really looked at a free kick like that before. I think City do an excellent job in confusing the Wednesday defence and then attacking the save, even though a lot of it is routine stuff, I'm sure. Ralls takes up a position as though he might take it with his left foot, this forces Wednesday to put an extra two or three men in the wall which leaves Mendez-Laing free to run in on goal unmarked after the kick's taken. We also stick three men (including Bamba) to attack the far post which may have confused Westwood too. It ends up in a position where Mendez-Laing, those three players and Morrison (who'd jumped out of the wall) are in the 6-yard box with only one defender covering. Of course, the ball still has to break for you but we couldn't have done more to maximise our chances in that situation and deserved the goal that came

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    I found the free kick interesting. I felt, like you, that Westwood had made a bit of a hash of it which threw me because he's such a good keeper. Tomlin had been playing mind games with him while setting it up and just before he takes it he crouches down to look at a gap in the wall as though he's going to put it far post. This bothers a defender who turns round to make sure where Westwood is. I'm not sure whether Westwood falls for it or not but he does seem a bit slow in getting to the ball, excellent free kick but it's at a good height for him and not right in the corner. He looks in two minds when Tomlin runs up to take it, tentatively taking a couple of steps to the right but keeping his body weight to the left which makes him a little slow in getting to the ball. Maybe there was nothing more he could do but fair play to Tomlin for trying to unsettle him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFI_dz1L9o4 (the free kick comes at around 7.20)

I've never really looked at a free kick like that before. I think City do an excellent job in confusing the Wednesday defence and then attacking the save, even though a lot of it is routine stuff, I'm sure. Ralls takes up a position as though he might take it with his left foot, this forces Wednesday to put an extra two or three men in the wall which leaves Mendez-Laing free to run in on goal unmarked after the kick's taken. We also stick three men (including Bamba) to attack the far post which may have confused Westwood too. It ends up in a position where Mendez-Laing, those three players and Morrison (who'd jumped out of the wall) are in the 6-yard box with only one defender covering. Of course, the ball still has to break for you but we couldn't have done more to maximise our chances in that situation and deserved the goal that came
    The highlights also reveal that for some time up to and especially including the final 5 minutes of the game, City had been building pressure whilst Wednesday did a 'Cardiff' by trying to hold on to their lead. As has been said, the late equaliser will have felt like a winner, giving the manager and team further belief in their own strengths.

One final observation from reviewing the highlights reveals that once again (as at Preston) City gave away a very poor goal. Main culprit this time was Peltier (who I've never been as convinced as the manager about) who was idling unconcerned upfield when Wednesday broke forward. A pass out left to Peltier's unmarked Wednesday player pulled Bamba out from central defence to cover; when he was unable to prevent the cross into the six-yard box there were 2 attackers waiting with just Morrison and Gunnar (arriving from midfield to help the situation). Unfortunately, (or because the cross was very good) the ball arrived perfectly for Hooper who simply guided it unopposed into the far corner.

I'm not sure the use of our full-backs in today's game has yet been sorted effectively with the manager appearing content to swap them around as and when. It seems to me they need to understand their roles better and the arrival of Patterson (who I'm really excited about) can't come quickly enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post

Free Kick Watch!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
    If he's guilty let him stew in Prison. Why should he get away with violence?
    City fans have got away with loads of violence over the years ,and some are seen as heroes to this day , even books are written broadcasting their achievements.

I thought the same that free kick certainly forced the error and chaos in the penalty area and consequently the goal ,he'd start for me at Sunderland,however I think our Neil is a not much change in one go ,manager .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I thought the same that free kick certainly forced the error and chaos in the penalty area and consequently the goal ,he'd start for me at Sunderland,however I think our Neil is a not much change in one go ,manager .
    I suspect he won't get a start until he's either been convicted and served whatever punishment he gets or is acquitted.

I gave tomlin mom for the free kick

He can practise his free kick technique in the prison yard

Quote Originally Posted by chepstow View Post
    He can practise his free kick technique in the prison yard

Quote Originally Posted by Mambo View Post
    Was it GBH or ABH or a lesser assault charge
    GBH without intent.
    Unless he has previous, if found guilty not going down.

whitts would have scored it

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Free Kick Watch!
    I'm diversifying.

The highlights also reveal that for some time up to and especially including the final 5 minutes of the game, City had been building pressure whilst Wednesday did a 'Cardiff' by trying to hold on to their lead. As has been said, the late equaliser will have felt like a winner, giving the manager and team further belief in their own strengths.

One final observation from reviewing the highlights reveals that once again (as at Preston) City gave away a very poor goal. Main culprit this time was Peltier (who I've never been as convinced as the manager about) who was idling unconcerned upfield when Wednesday broke forward. A pass out left to Peltier's unmarked Wednesday player pulled Bamba out from central defence to cover; when he was unable to prevent the cross into the six-yard box there were 2 attackers waiting with just Morrison and Gunnar (arriving from midfield to help the situation). Unfortunately, (or because the cross was very good) the ball arrived perfectly for Hooper who simply guided it unopposed into the far corner.

I'm not sure the use of our full-backs in today's game has yet been sorted effectively with the manager appearing content to swap them around as and when. It seems to me they need to understand their roles better and the arrival of Patterson (who I'm really excited about) can't come quickly enough.
    Yes, I'm hoping Paterson will give us something extra, Peltier had a poor game on Saturday.