+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: More people being offended.

Re: More people being offended.

With a greater focus on defending, Pochettino needed a defender in the more literal sense, having relied previously on the technical talents of Jan Vertonghen, Toby Alderweireld and Eric Dier. Sanchez appears to be that destroyer, and the early signs suggest he is happy to do the dirty work.

The 21-year-old has not made a tackle in his two games, according to the Opta stats at least, but as Sir Alex Ferguson found out with Jaap Stam, it is dangerous to read too much into a defender’s tackling numbers.

This is clearly a crap writer clutching at straws for an article but racist? Not for me.

Look for the definitions of stereotyping and racism.

This is stereotyping, not:

prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

Because people have thrown around the term so much you've forgotten the actual meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post

The world being far less racist than in the past is no reason to stop caring about racism though, when black students were first allowed into schools in the US the majority of people said they should just ignore the abuse and asaults bacause they'd already come far enough by being allowed into schools.
    Yes I agree and this isn't racism.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post
    Yes I agree and this isn't racism.
    The lukaku song? The kick it out guys think it is. The song is based on a racial stereotype, while it doesn't bother me I can see why they would have issue with it, how many songs are their about white players related to their race?

The lukaku song? The kick it out guys think it is. The song is based on a racial stereotype, while it doesn't bother me I can see why they would have issue with it, how many songs are their about white players related to their race?
    I am talking about the destroyer comment not lukaku.

I am talking about the destroyer comment not lukaku.
    Yeah I think it is a bit of a reach but can see why they'd reach that conclusion because there are instances of it happening.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    They've assumed he's a destroyer because he's black. They later say he's not made a tackle. Now, I don't know of many "destroyers" that don't tackle.
    perhaps they thought he was a type 45

Yeah I think it is a bit of a reach but can see why they'd reach that conclusion because there are instances of it happening.
    The adebyaor was the worst I've seen for inaction. I couldn't believe how few complaints were made about it

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...Tottenham.html

Feedback

The adebyaor was the worst I've seen for inaction. I couldn't believe how few complaints were made about it

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...Tottenham.html
    i'm going to put my neck out here and say 'the mothers a whore' is far more insulting than 'your dad washes elephants'. how the feck is that racist? its no different from suggesting Swansea city fans' parents are brother and sister.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Lecter View Post
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footba...yrics-11198902

Would it be offensive if he was white?
    'Scoring all the goals'

OMG, they can't say that!

What are they trying to say? That he scores goals just because he's black? Just because he can run faster than whites because he's black.

Offensive and discriminatory. Lock the racist bastards up.

Quote Originally Posted by TISS View Post
    i'm going to put my neck out here and say 'the mothers a whore' is far more insulting than 'your dad washes elephants'. how the feck is that racist? its no different from suggesting Swansea city fans' parents are brother and sister.
    You don't think saying an African guys' job is Elephant Washer is even slightly racist?

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    They've assumed he's a destroyer because he's black. They later say he's not made a tackle. Now, I don't know of many "destroyers" that don't tackle.
    Have they though?

Maybe they've made that assumption on what they've seen or heard of him? Or maybe because he looks like enforcer type? (Apologies if I've made a racist assumption there)

If what you're saying is true then all new black players will be labelled in this way won't they?

I haven't heard the assumption made about Mohammed Salah, Lacazette, Rudiger, Bernardo Silva, Mendy, Tammy Abraham etc.

Getting back to the original point, some fans have made a song about their new hero. It's a bit cheeky, they're trying to be funny but once again, people are expected to refrain because somebody somewhere has deemed it offensive - not Lukaku mind you, just someone being offended on his behalf.

You don't think saying an African guys' job is Elephant Washer is even slightly racist?
    Not as racist as saying Welsh people shag sheep.

Have they though?

Maybe they've made that assumption on what they've seen or heard of him? Or maybe because he looks like enforcer type? (Apologies if I've made a racist assumption there)

If what you're saying is true then all new black players will be labelled in this way won't they?

I haven't heard the assumption made about Mohammed Salah, Lacazette, Rudiger, Bernardo Silva, Mendy, Tammy Abraham etc.

Getting back to the original point, some fans have made a song about their new hero. It's a bit cheeky, they're trying to be funny but once again, people are expected to refrain because somebody somewhere has deemed it offensive - not Lukaku mind you, just someone being offended on his behalf.
    And you've deemed it unoffensive on his behalf.

To me it does seem pretty harmless but surely you can see their point that it's another song about a black player based on a black stereotype which doesn't happen to white players. Kick it out are trying to make it an even environment for all players and must think this undermines that point.

Just because it isn't offensive or you don't find it offensive doesn't mean they don't have a point, the guy in charge of the Man United supporters club even backed Kick it out up on the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
    'Scoring all the goals'

OMG, they can't say that!

What are they trying to say? That he scores goals just because he's black? Just because he can run faster than whites because he's black.

Offensive and discriminatory. Lock the racist bastards up.
    They'll be labelling him a destroyer next.

What's your point?

What's your point?
    How many people/clubshave been reprimanded for using the sheep insult towards us?

How many people/clubshave been reprimanded for using the sheep insult towards us?
    Wasn't a bolton fan arrested after someone reported him for saying it 2 seasons ago?

And you've deemed it unoffensive on his behalf.

To me it does seem pretty harmless but surely you can see their point that it's another song about a black player based on a black stereotype which doesn't happen to white players. Kick it out are trying to make it an even environment for all players and must think this undermines that point.

Just because it isn't offensive or you don't find it offensive doesn't mean they don't have a point, the guy in charge of the Man United supporters club even backed Kick it out up on the issue.
    I'm not deeming it unoffensive on his behalf though am I?

I'm simply stating my personal opinion. I'm not stating is as fact, whereas the people gettting offended on Lukak's behalf are assuming he's offended by it. As far as I know, Lukaku hasn't complained or even commented on it (which he could easily do, as Morata did last week) so perhaps we should take into account the feelings of the only person that matters here (i.e. lukaku).

Just because somebody gets offended by something doesn't mean that their viewpoint is the only one.

Wasn't a bolton fan arrested after someone reported him for saying it 2 seasons ago?
    So (maybe) one incident?

Point proven.

I'm not deeming it unoffensive on his behalf though am I?

I'm simply stating my personal opinion. I'm not stating is as fact, whereas the people gettting offended on Lukak's behalf are assuming he's offended by it. As far as I know, Lukaku hasn't complained or even commented on it (which he could easily do, as Morata did last week) so perhaps we should take into account the feelings of the only person that matters here (i.e. lukaku).

Just because somebody gets offended by something doesn't mean that their viewpoint is the only one.
    Is it just Lukaku's opinion that matters though? Surely this sort of thing is bigger than that?

Again how many songs are their about white stereotypes in football? Even if it isn't offensive as such surely you can see the point of Kick it out that they believe that songs that are based on someones race are holding back the progression of equality in sport?

Is it just Lukaku's opinion that matters though? Surely this sort of thing is bigger than that?

Again how many songs are their about white stereotypes in football? Even if it isn't offensive as such surely you can see the point of Kick it out that they believe that songs that are based on someones race are holding back the progression of equality in sport?
    Absolutely.

Which is why making an issue of this makes a mockery of dealing with the real racism that still exists.

Do you think the Man U fans who sing this are being racist, offensive or insulting to Lukaku?

Deal with the real issues and see this for what it is.

Just out of interest, how many songs are there about black stereotypes in football being sung today?

Just out of interest, how many songs are there about black stereotypes in football being sung today?
    Adebeyor
    Sol Campbell
    Lukaku
    Ian Wright
    Evra

Are all still sung today, I can't say I know the exhaustive list like. Football fans are generally good these terms in terms of racism and homophobia but it doesn't mean it's ok though.

Two wongs don't make a right.

I think people struggle to see this as racist because they see racism as being intentionally unkind or derogatory.
    With the Lukaku chant, many people see that as a compliment, so they don't see that as being racist and they certainly wouldn't consider themselves as racist. These are nice people, who just happen to have lived their entire lives within a culture where it is the norm to portray black people as animalistic powerful and Brutish and white people as intelligent and civilized.
    It is tings like this that probably contribute to the ridiculously small numbers of black managers in the game.