+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amazon to bid for TV rights ?

Amazon to bid for TV rights ?

Re: Amazon to bid for TV rights ?

Amazon could blow Sky and BT out of the water.

jeff bezos was the worlds richest man in July, Bill gates is no.1 again now though.

I was reading the other day they are as big as they are, yet haven't even touched the surface of China India and others. They're trying desperately to change that. Including amazon buying up competitors, if I remember correctly

I wouldn't complain that much. Prime is quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post

jeff bezos was the worlds richest man in July, Bill gates is no.1 again now though.

I was reading the other day they are as big as they are, yet haven't even touched the surface of China India and others. They're trying desperately to change that. Including amazon buying up competitors, if I remember correctly

I would. It would be another cost. Competition does not equal reduced prices in markets like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    I would. It would be another cost. Competition does not equal reduced prices in markets like this.
    Ye thinking about it prices have just gone up and up. The competition between BT and Sky haven't brought prices down at all.

I've had Amazon Prime for about six weeks now.

Got to say I'm a little bit underwhelmed with the content.

I've watched Sneaky Pete which I enjoyed, Preacher which was a bit hit and miss, a few films and a documentary or two but not sure why I should be paying extra to access stuff when I'm already paying a subscription.

I'll stick with it because I'll order loads of Christmas presents from Amazon and benefit from free delivery but I think I'll ditch it after Christmas and have a look at Netflix instead.

Ye thinking about it prices have just gone up and up. The competition between BT and Sky haven't brought prices down at all.
    I think it's because it's not legitimate competition because they both show different matches at different times. It won't be true competition until there is more than one way to watch a live match at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I think it's because it's not legitimate competition because they both show different matches at different times. It won't be true competition until there is more than one way to watch a live match at home.
    Which there won't be. All that will happen is, Amazon will enter the market, and then the bidding war will escalate, and you or I will end up paying even more.

Competition would only work in a situation like this if more than one provider showed the same games and you could choose which to buy.

Companies generally dislike competition as it affects profits.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Lecter View Post

I've watched Sneaky Pete which I enjoyed, Preacher which was a bit hit and miss, a few films and a documentary or two but not sure why I should be paying extra to access stuff when I'm already paying a subscription.

I'll stick with it because I'll order loads of Christmas presents from Amazon and benefit from free delivery but I think I'll ditch it after Christmas and have a look at Netflix instead.
    Ye I rarely use amazon video.

The best thing about it is the search function. Search for any subject and usually a load of documentaries will appear

The next day delivery is what I benefit most from. I feel sorry for the drivers though, turning up at gone 9pm racing around trying to get everything delivered.

Are you paying the full whack for Amazon Prime? Isn't that about £80 or something?

You can just have the Amazon video part for about the same price as Netflix.

I've stopped buying from Amazon they are a horrible company.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    Are you paying the full whack for Amazon Prime? Isn't that about £80 or something?

You can just have the Amazon video part for about the same price as Netflix.
    I pay 7.99 a month.

That way I can cancel it when I want and they haven't taken my 80 quid.

I'll easily get my money's worth once I start buying all my Christmas stuff off there with free delivery.

Don't really think it's worth it just for the tv content.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    I've stopped buying from Amazon they are a horrible company.
    Most of them are.

If we stopped buying from companies that treat their employees like shit and only care about profits then we'd never shop anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Amazon could drive prices lower. BT and Sky charge more because they bundle in more sport.

If Amazon get it (or Netflix) they will offer more flexibility. Chances are, every Prem game will be screened and you pay as and when you watch. To get around the Saturday 3pm no televised football rule, they could move every match to Sunday 3pm. That solves any issue with teams involved in Europe.

I pay 7.99 a month.

That way I can cancel it when I want and they haven't taken my 80 quid.

I'll easily get my money's worth once I start buying all my Christmas stuff off there with free delivery.

Don't really think it's worth it just for the tv content.
    I use Amazon a lot and never pay delivery.

Most of them are.

If we stopped buying from companies that treat their employees like shit and only care about profits then we'd never shop anywhere.
    Fair point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    Amazon could drive prices lower. BT and Sky charge more because they bundle in more sport.

If Amazon get it (or Netflix) they will offer more flexibility. Chances are, every Prem game will be screened and you pay as and when you watch. To get around the Saturday 3pm no televised football rule, they could move every match to Sunday 3pm. That solves any issue with teams involved in Europe.
    We'll see how long low prices last if they get the rights and are the only legal way to watch the games in the uk. People said the same when BT got the rights too.

Most of them are.

I've sourced alternative suppliers, small businesses with the same prices or cheaper! Admittedly I mostly buy niche products, and I'm not really into consumerism for the sake of it.

They have to bid for the Premier League. Thus, to beat Sky and BT, they have to bid more. It will get cheaper for absolutely nobody.

I've sourced alternative suppliers, small businesses with the same prices or cheaper! Admittedly I mostly buy niche products, and I'm not really into consumerism for the sake of it.
    But how do you know that those small businesses are somehow better behaved?

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    They have to bid for the Premier League. Thus, to beat Sky and BT, they have to bid more. It will get cheaper for absolutely nobody.
    Exactly.

Only one thing is certain - the ever rising costs will be passed on to the customer.

But how do you know that those small businesses are somehow better behaved?
    We are on first name terms

We are on first name terms
    I'm on first name terms with the guy in my local shop.

He still charges more than Asda though.

Exactly.

Only one thing is certain - the ever rising costs will be passed on to the customer.
    And the customer can buy if they want it.

And the customer can buy if they want it.
    They will only be a customer if they buy it. If they don't then they won't.