+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adrian Alston and Tony Evans

Adrian Alston and Tony Evans

Was there ever a better front pairing at our fantastic football club? Chopra and Bothroyd a close second in my opinion

Re: Adrian Alston and Tony Evans

The latter pair plied their trade at a much higher level but having said that Alston and Evans were my favourites.

Quote Originally Posted by Watcliff View Post
    Was there ever a better front pairing at our fantastic football club? Chopra and Bothroyd a close second in my opinion
    Toshack and Clark

Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post
    Toshack and Clark
    Without a doubt, these were the number one pairing.

Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post
    Toshack and Clark

Alston and Evans were a great pairing, but only for one season in Division 3. Clark and Toshack played together in Division 2 and Europe from early 1968 to November 1970 when Toshack was sold. They scored 133 goals between them in two and a half years. SO it's Clarrk and Toshack for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Louth View Post
    Without a doubt, these were the number one pairing.
    Yes it’s Tosh and Bri for me too

Len Davies and Hughie Ferguson.

Davies, City's all-time record goalscorer with 179 goals and Ferguson with 77 goals in 117 appearances. Both played for City in the top-flight for several seasons.

Not sure how City set-up in those days and whether they were a pairing like others mentioned.

What about Earnie and Peter Thorne? They scored about 150 goals, combined, in their three seasons together.

I really liked Tony Evans. He was quite prolific and served us well until we cashed in on him. Adrian Alston started off really well in the 75/76 promotion season scoring 2 on debut against Chesterfield and eventually getting 20 goals in 42 league and cup games that season. However he somewhat fizzled out the following season and only played a further 18 times scoring only 4 goals. His partnership with Tony Evans was from October 75 to December 76. I always thought Alston was a bit of a triumph of style over substance. Anyway, he thought that the grass was greener over the pond and went off to join the Tampa Bay Rowdies where he didn't last very long and his career seemed to come to a halt at about the age of 29. Anyway, 3 weeks after his last game for us he was replaced by the useless Robin Friday.

First Team

Without a shadow of doubt my favourite pairing but in reality not the best. Like others have mentioned Tosh & BC are probably the most gifted of the alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    I really liked Tony Evans. He was quite prolific and served us well until we cashed in on him. Adrian Alston started off really well in the 75/76 promotion season scoring 2 on debut against Chesterfield and eventually getting 20 goals in 42 league and cup games that season. However he somewhat fizzled out the following season and only played a further 18 times scoring only 4 goals. His partnership with Tony Evans was from October 75 to December 76. I always thought Alston was a bit of a triumph of style over substance. Anyway, he thought that the grass was greener over the pond and went off to join the Tampa Bay Rowdies where he didn't last very long and his career seemed to come to a halt at about the age of 29. Anyway, 3 weeks after his last game for us he was replaced by the useless Robin Friday.
    Robin Friday useless?

Robin Friday useless?
    Yes, apart from an outstanding debut he was mostly useless or absent.

Still a fantastic wasted talent mind. The book about him is really good.

Quote Originally Posted by severncity View Post
    What about Earnie and Peter Thorne? They scored about 150 goals, combined, in their three seasons together.
    They scored 111 goals from the time Thorne signed until Earnshaw left, Earnie scored 67 of them. Not just in games they played together, but in the time both were at the club.

Still a fantastic wasted talent mind. The book about him is really good.
    Agree with you there. Unfortunately we only really got to see the extent of his talent the once. If I remember correctly, the chapter in the book about his time at Cardiff City was called "The Wilderness Years" ( or something along those lines)

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    Def no1

Alston, oo oo was the only chant I can recall. And Tony Evans' was: Tony Evans walks on water na, na, na, na, na, na-na, na, na - sang to the tune of Chrimbo fave Deck the Halls. I'm sure it was Alston who scored the only goal in a famous win at fedora wearing Malcolm Allison's Crystal Palace when an estimated 7,000 City fans travelled.

Carl Dale & Chris Pike
    for me brother

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    No question watched and loved them all but for pure top class talent Tosh / Clark,you knew they would score

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    No question watched and loved them all but for pure top class talent Tosh / Clark,you knew they would score
    facking ell you are seasoned brother,
    I'm not going to say old because that's very rude to say to a fellow city fan

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    Alston, oo oo was the only chant I can recall. And Tony Evans' was: Tony Evans walks on water na, na, na, na, na, na-na, na, na - sang to the tune of Chrimbo fave Deck the Halls. I'm sure it was Alston who scored the only goal in a famous win at fedora wearing Malcolm Allison's Crystal Palace when an estimated 7,000 City fans travelled.
    Just loved this era, Tony Evans is one of my all time City hero's. And both songs are correct. Since the mid 70's I wonder why it is that none of our players have 'Walked on Water'?! They appear to prefer a magic hat for some reason! You're spot on with Palace and their big mouthed manager it was Alston who netted the winner, I also seem to recall he got the winner in the game that clinched promotion at Bury. Was gutted, my old man told me we could go to 1 away game as the season was drawing to a climax. I chose the Away before Bury at Peterbro' 0-0 City fans invaded the pitch a 2 foot wall being the only deterrent!! Posh hadn't been in the league long and their ground was very much non league standard and pre health and safety!! I remember Allison gobbing off in the media before our home game with Hereford. Us, Hereford and Palace were vying for the 2 automatic places for promotion from the old Div 3 (third Tier). He was saying something along the lines of we didn't deserve promotion and wouldn't even attract 20.000 fans for the fixture. In the event a crowd of 35,000 turned up, we won 2-0 and both us and Hereford went on to achieve promotion.

Millwall also went up in 75/6.

Loved Alston and Evans era oh and Willie willie willie willie willie willie willie Anderson.

Remember Alston shooting from KO against Brighton and keeper ran into post as it just missed we went on to lose 1-0 in one of the most one sided games I have ever seen that we didn't win!

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    yes he did, he also got the promotion clincher at Bury, another big turnout on a Wednesday night