+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Has Welsh Devolution Worked

Has Welsh Devolution Worked

Re: Has Welsh Devolution Worked

Problems we gave is the heavy reliance on public service jobs ,which consequently leads to a less producivity / performance society.

Scotland has strong exports of Whiskey ,gas and oil .

The traditional unionised Labour vote in Wales probaly comes from that very high public sector enviroment .

It is a pretty tricky question since you can't use your crystal ball to see a present day Wales without devolution.

Listening to Radio Wales yesterday morning, who are currently orgasming over devolution and were interviewing a previous boss minister (woman) and asking what has been the greatest achievement of devolution, her answer was, we are something like 4th in the world regarding (and I sh*t you not)!!! at recycling rubbish

As a member of Plaid and someone who worked at Plaid HQ during the 2011 referendum I'd have to say no. It has allowed clowns like Neil McEvoy to be paid to pretend to give a f@ck about Wales. I want independence for Wales but devolution has been a poisoned chalice.

Quote Originally Posted by Mambo View Post
    Interesting question :-

If Independence for Wales meant a lower standard of living as we dont produce as much and have a large public sector workforce - would you still want Independence

AND

If Brexit meant the same outcome re std of living etc - would you still want it ?
    Why would we have a lower standard of living, the fastest growing economy in the EU is Ireland, their gdp per capita is nearly double ours.

Carwyn Jones admitted in an interview that we spend more than we create in Wales, so to keep it simple we spend 6% of the UK GDP , but we only generate in tax 5% of GDP, those arent the actual figures but they reflect the reality.

So if Wales was truly independent - we would have a short fall between what we raise in tax and what we spend.

So the original question remains - what would you rather ?
    We would be wealthier eventually.

When the UK and Ireland both joined the EEC in 1973 Ireland's GDP per capita was around 80% of Wales' level. Now it is almost double.

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-...gdp-per-capita

https://tradingeconomics.com/ireland/gdp-per-capita

"We would be wealthier eventually"

Amazing how no one has the answered the question though.

The situation is remarkably like Brexit and the Scottish Independence vote - short - medium term - we would be worse off, lower std of living and or higher taxes etc. Maybe though in the long term we might get back to the std of living we have today.

SO the question remains - would you vote for an Independent Wales even if it means a lower std of living - and would you do the same for Brexit - (I'm not sure I would)
    Yes I would

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    It is a pretty tricky question since you can't use your crystal ball to see a present day Wales without devolution.
    but we can compare to how Scotland has progressed to how Wales has progressed, and using that metric it is clear devolution hasn't worked at all well for Wales.

it would help matters if we didn't have a one party state. our politicians would then have to up their game

Better Welsh labour than the Tory scum , at least we have stopped selling council houses , that will piss off the little Englanders on here

Quote Originally Posted by TISS View Post
    but we can compare to how Scotland has progressed to how Wales has progressed, and using that metric it is clear devolution hasn't worked at all well for Wales.

it would help matters if we didn't have a one party state. our politicians would then have to up their game
    What do you mean by 'one party state'?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    What do you mean by 'one party state'?
    It's a phrase trotted out by ex-Labour and soon-to-be ex-Plaid troll Neil McEvoy who conveniently forgets his years picking up money from the public purse as a Labour councillor. The term also ignores the fact that Labour were in coalition (in the Senedd) with the LibDems from 1999 till 2003 and with Plaid from 2007 till 2011. Also, we have a LibDem Education Secretary.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Better Welsh labour than the Tory scum , at least we have stopped selling council houses , that will piss off the little Englanders on here
    And it was Neil McEvoy who proposed retaining Right-to-Buy. He used to be a private sector landlord. I'm not sure whether he still is but I do know one thing: he's a snake in wolf's clothing.

Would you vote for an Independent Wales even if it means a lower std of living - and would you do the same for Brexit - (I'm not sure I would)
    I would rather Wales be able to decide its own future as part of a European Union.

Welsh people decide for Wales. Sounds fine with me. There's yet to be a general election or referendum where the combined votes of the rest of the UK bar England would have changed the outcome (that I'm aware of) - whatever England votes for, the UK gets.

I'm surprised that people in Wales are happy with this lack of democracy, yet weren't happy as they felt the UK had no say in the EU. The opposite is true - the UK has/had more say in the European Union than Wales does in Westminster about the UK.