+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Barca and Catalonia

Barca and Catalonia

Vote for independence on 1st of October.
    Not sure if it's full independence or devolved like ours.
    But would they then have their own national football team and qualify for Europe etc.

Re: Barca and Catalonia

I thought the Spanish authorities were blocking it? Raiding places for voting material etc

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    Vote for independence on 1st of October.
    Not sure if it's full independence or devolved like ours.
    But would they then have their own national football team and qualify for Europe etc.
    Full independence.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Full independence.
    Good luck to them.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    I thought the Spanish authorities were blocking it? Raiding places for voting material etc
    They're trying, losing Catalonia would be a huge blow for Spain

So I presume Barca would stay in the Spanish league much like we stay in the English league

And they'd probably be 6th seed in the Euro qualifiers, we'd draw them and get pummelled.

It's complicated, I have family who live in Barcelona. During the civil war, Catalans were persecuted and the language was banned. There are a lot of similarities with the relationship between England & Wales except Catalonia is the richest part of Spain but is also taxed the heaviest. The locals rightly want to pay less tax and govern themselves but mainland Spain are not going to lose a major source of income so have refused the referendum which will almost certainly vote for autonomy. Bearing in mind they've only had democracy since the 80s, I fear a civil war if Spain don't grant it, it could get messy. The Catalan government have been talking with Scotland in depth but it's not going to be an easy resolution.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jonccfc1927 View Post
    It's complicated, I have family who live in Barcelona. During the civil war, Catalans were persecuted and the language was banned. There are a lot of similarities with the relationship between England & Wales except Catalonia is the richest part of Spain but is also taxed the heaviest. The locals rightly want to pay less tax and govern themselves but mainland Spain are not going to lose a major source of income so have refused the referendum which will almost certainly vote for autonomy. Bearing in mind they've only had democracy since the 80s, I fear a civil war if Spain don't grant it, it could get messy. The Catalan government have been talking with Scotland in depth but it's not going to be an easy resolution.....
    Sounds familiar