+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: City return to winning ways in “away banker”.

City return to winning ways in “away banker”.

Re: City return to winning ways in “away banker”.

Good read again Bob but I don't remember Juan Mata being sent off for us

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    Good read again Bob but I don't remember Juan Mata being sent off for us
    Oh dear - if only .

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Very similar report to ones written by the less "one eyed" Wolves fans after we beat them.
    Good to read.

Bob - interested to see that the 1973 Leeds vs Sunderland FA Cup Final is one of your all-time Cup Final favourites. For me it is THE all-time Cup Final favourite! The arrogant Leeds Utd humbled by Second Division Sunderland. The superb double save by the goalie (can't think of his name now?) and Bob Stokoe running on at the end - absolute magic!

Got it - Jim Montgomery!

This thread has prompted me to take a look to see if there is a video of the Leeds vs Sunderland Cup game on YouTube and there is this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PpW0oH10Zw

Here are some comments from a poster in response to the video:

Apart from the problem of hooliganism, EVERYTHING about football was better in those days: the style of play; the TV coverage (especially the commentators); the top tier of the game being run by the Football League rather than the pathetic Premier League circus (and the divisions being called simply Divisions 1, 2, 3 & 4 rather than today's dishonest, euphemistic names); the simple, striking playing strips that didn't change every single season & weren't despoiled by bloody sponsors' logos; the absence of foreign players with their diving, referee baiting, time wasting and other despicable habits; and most of all the ATMOSPHERE...modern football has nothing like it! Being (unfortunately) old enough to have experienced football in both eras, I would take the 70s version over today's version any day of the week...

How many of us old codgers would agree with that assessment I wonder!

Sounds similar to any of our reports in the past few seasons up until Warnock arrived

That Sunderland guy seems to have more faith in Zohore than many posters on this message board.

Doesn't seem too happy with their midfield and the bigger names in the side. It was in the lead up to this game, someone mentioned that many of their players were still premier league quality, but I am reminded of the Toshack about there being players in the premier league and premier league players.

Adam Mathews gets some positive recognition from the Blogger there. Always felt it was a shame the way he left us. Seemed to be singled out by the manager as a youngster for the odd mistake that surely will happen. Back in the present though I awoke this morning very happy with a good job done. Walked my dog's to be greeted by a Leeds fan who is as Cardiff as they come in all other way's telling me they are top of the league. Banter aside when City are top of the league I don't pass comment. I just have an inner glow.

Our first goal was made to look simple, but in reality was clever and clinical in its execution.

A few thoughts on some of the points raised;-
    1. I thought Adam Matthews was one of their best players as well.
    2. I liked that Sunderland blog and I'd agree more with his opinion of how Zohore played yesterday than the one expressed by many of our fans. If you watched the game itself, rather than from the standpoint of no goals in eight for Zohore, he played well and showed signs of being back to his all round game of August, it's just that he's a bit more anxious in front of goal than he was, but that's not costing us too much at the moment, because we've got goals being scored on a pretty regular basis from other areas if the side.
    3. In no particular order, my top five FA Cup Finals are;-
    Sunderland 1 Leeds 0 1973
    Coventry 3 Spurs 2 1987
    Liverpool 3 West Ham 3 2006
    Portsmouth 1 Cardiff 0 2008
    Arsenal 3 Hull 2 2014
    1973 was great though because it helped keep my faith in the game. Leeds under Revie were a real blight on the game for ten years and more, so it was fantastic when they got their comeuppance - I still think they would have been more successful if they had cut out all of the rough stuff and gamesmanship and concentrated on playing football.
    4. Gofer Blue, you've done a very good job in making the case for 70s football over the modern day stuff, but you would not have got many second tier games that were better than today's Sheffield derby back then.

One other thing regarding Zohore I forgot to mention - the ref was, obviously, applying different rules to the Zohore v Wilson battle than he did to all other aspects of the game, did Ken smash his car windscreen before the match or something?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    A few thoughts on some of the points raised;-
    1. I thought Adam Matthews was one of their best players as well.
    2. I liked that Sunderland blog and I'd agree more with his opinion of how Zohore played yesterday than the one expressed by many of our fans. If you watched the game itself, rather than from the standpoint of no goals in eight for Zohore, he played well and showed signs of being back to his all round game of August, it's just that he's a bit more anxious in front of goal than he was, but that's not costing us too much at the moment, because we've got goals being scored on a pretty regular basis from other areas if the side.
    3. In no particular order, my top five FA Cup Finals are;-
    Sunderland 1 Leeds 0 1973
    Coventry 3 Spurs 2 1987
    Liverpool 3 West Ham 3 2006
    Portsmouth 1 Cardiff 0 2008
    Arsenal 3 Hull 2 2014
    1973 was great though because it helped keep my faith in the game. Leeds under Revie were a real blight on the game for ten years and more, so it was fantastic when they got their comeuppance - I still think they would have been more successful if they had cut out all of the rough stuff and gamesmanship and concentrated on playing football.
    4. Gofer Blue, you've done a very good job in making the case for 70s football over the modern day stuff, but you would not have got many second tier games that were better than today's Sheffield derby back then.
    From what I saw of the game KZ looked very good again today. A goal will come soon, with, I’m sure, many more to follow. I cannot understand those that keep knocking him. Everyone knows strikers thrive on confidence and when that goal comes, so will the confidence.

Wimbledon 1 Liverpool 0

And

Arsenal 3 Man Utd 2

Spurs 2 Coventry 3

For the latter 2 I was just a little kid and it was the highlight of the season in those days

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    One other thing regarding Zohore I forgot to mention - the ref was, obviously, applying different rules to the Zohore v Wilson battle than he did to all other aspects of the game, did Ken smash his car windscreen before the match or something?
    That's a fair shout. Overall I thought the ref was good, but he certainly seemed to have it in for Zohore