+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joe Bennett - Our best left back?

Blue in the Face

Joe Bennett - Our best left back?

First of all its not as huge a compliment as it sounds to nominate a Cardiff player as the best left back we've had. For whatever reason this position has been our Achilles heel for such a long time. It feels as though the problem has been solved so convincingly by Joe Bennett that it's easy not to notice. In fact I'd extend the compliment to say that Joe is the only player we've had in recent times to totally convince me in that position.

I don't know enough about Cardiff pre millennium, but it seems to me Joe Bennett is the best left back we've had over the last two decades. Is that right?

Re: Joe Bennett - Our best left back?

I liked Mark Kennedy. He was in the twilight years of his career but he was a good footballer.

Also, Andy Legg is another shout if we are going back to two decades.

Blue in the Face

I remember Andy Legg well. He was valuable at the time and good for the level we were playing at in league one or whatever it was called then. I feel like Bennett is the only one we've had who could make his way in the premier league though. I know you don't like Fabio JR and I can understand why, but one game in ten he was outstanding. He's the only other player I can think of who could not look out of place, on an occasional occasion, in the top flight. But he doesn't have the consistency to top Bennett.

Think I slightly preferred Taylor to Kennedy.

Dont get me wrong I really like and rate Bennett. Just offering some alernatives. I werent fussed on Taylor I thought he was a sneaky fvcker. Always ready to blame others when he had cost us a goal.

Dont get me started on Fabio ffs !!!

Aren’t all good left backs invariably harder to come by as there’s less left footed players out there?

Every team generally struggles with left sided players. Look at how gutted England were that they never had Giggs

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Dont get me wrong I really like and rate Bennett. Just offering some alernatives. I werent fussed on Taylor I thought he was a sneaky fvcker. Always ready to blame others when he had cost us a goal.

Fabio gave it everything every game and I liked him. He wasn’t the best defender but can’t fault his attitude, athleticism and commitment.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Fabio gave it everything every game and I liked him. He wasn’t the best defender but can’t fault his attitude, athleticism and commitment.
    Being able to defend when you're a left back often helps though.

Chris Barker was voted Player of the Year in 04/05.

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Good shout. Totally forgot about him.

Kev Mcnaughton was super on the left as well as the right!

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Each to their own I thought a lot of his commitment to the cause and chasing back was as a result of him being caught out of position or giving the ball away.

Martin John?

Gary Bell by a mile.

"ANDY LEGG LEGG LEGG ANDY LEGG LEGG LEGG"

Quote Originally Posted by Louth View Post
    Gary Bell by a mile.
    Last 2 decades

Ray Daniel.. Great player

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Same here, thought Chris Barker was a very good (and hairy) full back.

Who was the lad that came from QPR as I remember. Could play most everywhere. Left foot, Could be left back when required. Black hair 90's era. Sure he opened up about depression too. Was a good player but his name escapes me, as do many things.

I liked Mark Kennedy. He was in the twilight years of his career but he was a good footballer.

Also, Andy Legg is another shout if we are going back to two decades.
    Kennedy was a left midfielder before he joined us if memory serves. Jones used him as a left back to good effect. I think many City fans thought he was a poor signing when he arrived, but he proved many people wrong.

Matt Brazier...I remember now. Barker for me in last 2 decades. His brother played up front for a few teams didn't he. Did they ever play against each other when he was at City.

Blue in the Face

Neil says this guy was up all night the night before the Derby game. The guy still shows up and puts in a stellar performance. I'm sure many will agree a contender for MoM. So many other players would have had a day off.

Really hope he renews his contract with us and gets shot of that minimum release clause. Would love to have him here for the rest of his twenties. We would never be able to replace him in January for £2m if he were to go.

Bit more in this artcle...

http://www.insidewalessport.co.uk/jo...ting-signings/

Quite like the insidewalessport write ups.

Ian Rogerson. Quality. Also he was a right back. Bugger.
    Last edited by Leftofcenter; 02-10-17 at 18:29. Reason: More info

Yes, Bennett has been doing well but again it's only been a strawberry season.
    He was embarrassed time and again last year against the Fulham winger... not even a full year ago!

Credit has to go to those in front of him and again, Warnock's style of play suits.

Loved Leggy. Very underrated.

Totally agree about Fabio, decent footballer but one of the worst at defending. Bennett is OK, I got the feeling he wanted to go to Fulham and that Warnock was not bothered. Better going forward than defending, I actually think Richards is a better defensive minded full back. Andy Legg and Chris Barker were better. Taylor was awful and Kennedy was Ok but near the end of his career with us. So I'd probably say Barker was better.