+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: These £5 ticket deals

Re: These £5 ticket deals

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    That was in the Championship. Ticket sales to Champ clubs are nice but don't do a lot.
    With 1st year parachute payments.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Our average home attendance so far is 21300. Assuming that we have about 12000 season ticket holders and an average match ticket price is around £20, then at that price each home game is generating £186000 in extra revenue for the club i.e. £4,278,000 over a 23 game season. Even allowing for 3 games a season at the £5 offer, thats still £3,859,500 extra. Using your figures above that is over £2,700,000 more than having the £5 offer for every game. Quite simply a club like ours can not afford to give away that amount of income every year.

Also adult season ticket holders in the Ninian stand who buy early in March pay £399 or £17.35 per game. Why should they continue to pay this amount when they can see that other people who are buying the tickets on a game by game basis are getting in for £5 a game. Most would stop buying the season tickets and the whole system would fall apart. The club relys heavily on early season ticket purchases to fund it through the summer months and assist with player recruitment. Its great to have the stadium full again but the only sustainable way to do this is to play good football and have success like we are at the moment, with the occassional 'special offer' matches and the ground will soon fill up again, making everyone happy. Once we are in the Premier League with all the TV revenue there will be much more scope to reduce prices if needs be and fill the stadium.
    But have you factored in the sales of food and drink? Say the crowd was boosted by 7,000 by the £5 ticket price (as it was last Tuesday). Say 2,000 had three pints of beer and 3,000 had two pints and 1,000 had tea/coffee. Then again 1,500 had pies, 2,500 a plate of chips and 1,000 had other eatables. Then there's program sales say 2,000. I reckon a conservative estimate is gross (not net) revenue of from these sources would be around £20,000 to £30,000 a match. over a 23 game season that equates to close to a million. And if we go on a cup run - well, you can do the math! Makes economic sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dude View Post
    But have you factored in the sales of food and drink? Say the crowd was boosted by 7,000 by the £5 ticket price (as it was last Tuesday). Say 2,000 had three pints of beer and 3,000 had two pints and 1,000 had tea/coffee. Then again 1,500 had pies, 2,500 a plate of chips and 1,000 had other eatables. Then there's program sales say 2,000. I reckon a conservative estimate is gross (not net) revenue of from these sources would be around £20,000 to £30,000 a match. over a 23 game season that equates to close to a million. And if we go on a cup run - well, you can do the math! Makes economic sense to me.

They only get a SMALL percentage of food & drink money, the bulk goes to Compass

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    They only get a SMALL percentage of food & drink money, the bulk goes to Compass
    We should bring that in house as it were. The standard is piss poor anyway it's not as if the club couldn't do it themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by joecity View Post
    We should bring that in house as it were. The standard is piss poor anyway it's not as if the club couldn't do it themselves.
    The Clubs hierarchy attempted to do this but Compass wouldn't budge. Their 10 yr contract is due to expire next year. It has been a real money spinner for them. This deal was the only way we could pay for the fit out of the catering facilities at the time.

Back in the day Rick Wright had a scheme which meant the higher we were up the league
    the more the tickets cost ( didn't include season tickets obviously ).

There might be some mileage in this for walk up fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Ticket sales are wayyyyyyy down the pecking order in terms of where the clubs make money. Naturally, they're very, very important and we can't afford to cut costs too much but, our ticket sales in 2014/15 equated to £5.7m, we made £6m in sponsorship and £28m from "centralised broadcasting and commercial distributions". Our wage bill alone was £37m.
    The £28m is our parachute payment from Prem plus other TV revenues from Championship games. We are in the last year of these parachute payments, so you can see that our ticket sales will then become a massive part of our overall income (50%+) and we just cant afford to loose any more of that by having any more cheap ticket offers. Of course if we get promoted then that is a whole different story, as we will get £100m + in TV revenue alone.

The £28m is our parachute payment from Prem plus other TV revenues from Championship games. We are in the last year of these parachute payments, so you can see that our ticket sales will then become a massive part of our overall income (50%+) and we just cant afford to loose any more of that by having any more cheap ticket offers. Of course if we get promoted then that is a whole different story, as we will get £100m + in TV revenue alone.
    There is a new TV deal kicking in next year. You can watch all championship games live bar 3pm Saturday kick offs. Football league has signed a 600m deal with Sky.

The club will decide whether or not they can afford these promotions, not you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dude View Post
    Catering and other ancillary sales obviously increase the higher the attendance, so you are technically correct in stating that the more £5 offer games we have, the higher the attendances would be and therefore more money would be taken in the stadium. However, even if having the £5 offer increases attendances from around the usual 18000-19000 level to over 25000, the increased sales in the stadium would come nowhere near making up the loss in gate receipts by reducing the prices - you are losing an average of £15 per ticket (£100000 a game using the above figures). The club couldnt afford to lose that much revenue over a season without cutting the playing staff and being less ambitious.

Catering and other ancillary sales obviously increase the higher the attendance, so you are technically correct in stating that the more £5 offer games we have, the higher the attendances would be and therefore more money would be taken in the stadium. However, even if having the £5 offer increases attendances from around the usual 18000-19000 level to over 25000, the increased sales in the stadium would come nowhere near making up the loss in gate receipts by reducing the prices - you are losing an average of £15 per ticket (£100000 a game using the above figures). The club couldnt afford to lose that much revenue over a season without cutting the playing staff and being less ambitious.

Plus, the queues would be so long with all these new whippersnappers, that the regulars wouldn't bother

You are making the incorrect assumption that we would sell the 6000 extra tickets at full price.

Only a very small percentage of those paying a 5er will pay full whack as will be demonstrated tomorrow when the attendance drops

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    There is a new TV deal kicking in next year. You can watch all championship games live bar 3pm Saturday kick offs. Football league has signed a 600m deal with Sky.

The club will decide whether or not they can afford these promotions, not you.
    Your input is appreciated, apart from the last two unnesscessary words which are silly. No one is saying that these offers are not a good idea for a few games to generate new interest and fill the ground. Never said it was anything to do with me either - we are discussing the merits of the system. The new Sky money will basically replace the parachute payments we have been receiving, so we will not be any better off. If you want to have this offer for every game, thats fine but the adult season ticket prices will have to be reduced to under £90 a year or none would be sold.

Your input is appreciated, apart from the last two unnesscessary words which are silly. No one is saying that these offers are not a good idea for a few games to generate new interest and fill the ground. Never said it was anything to do with me either - we are discussing the merits of the system. The new Sky money will basically replace the parachute payments we have been receiving, so we will not be any better off. If you want to have this offer for every game, thats fine but the adult season ticket prices will have to be reduced to under £90 a year or none would be sold.
    As someone pointed out earlier in the thread you can only do it for 4 games.

For what it's worth I don't endorse selling tickets all season for 5 quid a game it doesn't make any logical sense when you're already getting at least 12k paying around 18-20 a game.

If we halved season tickets to 200 a year would we sell double? Probably not.

Also how much do people spend on food and drink. I have 2-3 pints a game and so does my one mate so we spend 9-13 quid but my other mate who drives spends 2.60 tops on a coke.

Shaving off 15 quid a ticket is too much to replace on a 23 game season

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    You are making the incorrect assumption that we would sell the 6000 extra tickets at full price.

Only a very small percentage of those paying a 5er will pay full whack as will be demonstrated tomorrow when the attendance drops
    No I am not making an incorrect assumption - you obviously havent read my post properly. I agree that tomorrows attendance will probably drop, possibly to near the 'norm' of 18000-19000 but we will still make more money on the gate at that level than if 25000 turned up and the 13000 extra paid the £5.

No I am not making an incorrect assumption - you obviously havent read my post properly. I agree that tomorrows attendance will probably drop, possibly to near the 'norm' of 18000-19000 but we will still make more money on the gate at that level than if 25000 turned up and the 13000 extra paid the £5.
    You said we would LOSE 100k a game if we sold 25k instead of 18k a game. We can't LOSE what we are not selling in the first place as those extra 6/7k probably won't pay full whack in the first place.

I believe your figures may be skewed. I've prepared an elaborate spreadsheet of attendances, catering and ancillary sales, cost of tickets (broken down by stands; season ticket holders and walk-ups) and our break-even figures over the last 25 years. I then extrapolated the figures onto extremely complex pie-charts and graphs. They provide definitive proof that season tickets should average £457.97 over all catergories and the club should offer the £99 for 6 matches deal, but at a different rate of £124.56 for 8 matches and repeat the £5 experiment - except at £6.75 for FIVE games in the season.

Your error seems to be the assumption that the gift tickets should be locked at £5. Increase that by a mere £2.50 and it changes the whole picture.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWales View Post
    Back in the day Rick Wright had a scheme which meant the higher we were up the league
    the more the tickets cost ( didn't include season tickets obviously ).

There might be some mileage in this for walk up fans.
    Agree but the he sold Blakey for a sixpence.

Quote Originally Posted by joecity View Post
    Agree but the he sold Blakey for a sixpence.
    Well almost but yes. The day he scored that winner v Man City I thought I'd died and gone to heaven.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWales View Post
    Well almost but yes. The day he scored that winner v Man City I thought I'd died and gone to heaven.
    Where's you're fatty gone? class