http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41431359

Big 6 want more money, bugger the rest.

Re: Greedy getting greedier

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41431359

Big 6 want more money, bugger the rest.
    You seem surprised by this?

They best thing they could do would be to cut those top 6 clubs adrift, as they are the ones who are ruining football.

The remaining 14 clubs could join with the 24 Championship clubs, and the clubs from the two lower divisions to form a more competitive league structure.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    You seem surprised by this?

Not in the slightest, this is why the PL was born, apart from Man City, the other 5 and Everton wanted to collar all the tv money.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    They best thing they could do would be to cut those top 6 clubs adrift, as they are the ones who are ruining football.

The remaining 14 clubs could join with the 24 Championship clubs, and the clubs from the two lower divisions to form a more competitive league structure.
    Now that really would set the cat among the pigeons, but not chance in hell of it ever happening.

Why on earth would the other 14 want to get rid of the 6 clubs that are bringing in so much money for them?

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Why on earth would the other 14 want to get rid of the 6 clubs that are bringing in so much money for them?
    I was thinking more about the fans rather than the greedy clubs. I mostly watch youth team matches these days, and they play some lovely one-touch football. So yeah, I'm all for going back to basics, and getting rid of the silly money that has ruined the game.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Alternatively, let's see if the top 6 can survive without the rest of us. They need the cannon fodder to look good.

I'd be interested if the TV companies thought a league with only 6 teams was worth paying for.

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    Alternatively, let's see if the top 6 can survive without the rest of us. They need the cannon fodder to look good.

I'd be interested if the TV companies thought a league with only 6 teams was worth paying for.
    I think they might bugger off one day under their own steam, and join up with the likes of Real Madrid, Juventus, Bayern Munich and Barcelona, etc. Then we can have the proper football back for our own enjoyment

I think they might bugger off one day under their own steam, and join up with the likes of Real Madrid, Juventus, Bayern Munich and Barcelona, etc. Then we can have the proper football back for our own enjoyment
    Unfortunately if or when this happens the TV money will go with them and what's left of the EPL will get a fraction of the cash they do now. This will likely have a domino effect in that clubs with big debts (cough) will no longer be sustainable once the promised land is removed for them and this is when the bubble will truly burst on football and it implodes.

Back to basics indeed :thunbup:

It won't be long before teams negotiate their own tv rights away from the League.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    It won't be long before teams negotiate their own tv rights away from the League.
    Leeds would become the richest club in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    That has been mooted for a while now, and I believe was the reason for the PL

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiw-Blue View Post
    Unfortunately if or when this happens the TV money will go with them and what's left of the EPL will get a fraction of the cash they do now. This will likely have a domino effect in that clubs with big debts (cough) will no longer be sustainable once the promised land is removed for them and this is when the bubble will truly burst on football and it implodes.

Back to basics indeed :thunbup:
    I think people are becoming a little bit more selective, sky have had to break up their sports package, bt only took champions league and europa because sky didn’t think they were value for money. So it may help all the other Clubs long term.

I think people are becoming a little bit more selective, sky have had to break up their sports package, bt only took champions league and europa because sky didn’t think they were value for money. So it may help all the other Clubs long term.
    Surely you see there's only so much money available though and the European league would get the vast majority leaving the rest to pick up the scraps.
    The top premier league fixture as it stands would be Everton V Southampton if the top 6 left, tough to sell to a UK market let alone an overseas market.

Surely you see there's only so much money available though and the European league would get the vast majority leaving the rest to pick up the scraps.
    The top premier league fixture as it stands would be Everton V Southampton if the top 6 left, tough to sell to a UK market let alone an overseas market.
    During the glory days of football, you had Match Of The Day highlights and a Saturday, and the Big Match on a Sunday. The only live televised game was the FA Cup Final once a year. Football was thriving back then

You've got all these TV channels now, and 99% of it is shit

I disagree. Personally I'm not the slightest bit interested in the Champions League. I think if those teams go then they're in danger of cutting off their life blood. Most fans want tradition and competition.

I may be wrong and a 'World Series' model might appeal but I think that if you remove the Domestic bragging rights - 10 times League Champioins, etc - then I'm not sure what the teams would exist for? Certainly the supporters couldn't afford to travel to away games on a regular basis just due to time if nothing else.

I've wanted them to **** off for years. I hope they go and take their entitlement with them.

I disagree. Personally I'm not the slightest bit interested in the Champions League. I think if those teams go then they're in danger of cutting off their life blood. Most fans want tradition and competition.

I may be wrong and a 'World Series' model might appeal but I think that if you remove the Domestic bragging rights - 10 times League Champioins, etc - then I'm not sure what the teams would exist for? Certainly the supporters couldn't afford to travel to away games on a regular basis just due to time if nothing else.

I've wanted them to **** off for years. I hope they go and take their entitlement with them.
    We'll see, sooner or later, it's inevitable

What about Wolves though, surely they are a top six team now with their world class players??

And they can take all their plastics with them too, many of whom haven't been within 6,000 miles of any Big Six stadium

Quote Originally Posted by Watcliff View Post
    What about Wolves though, surely they are a top six team now with their world class players??
    Exactly what I was thinking - however Wolves would win The European Super League by Christmas 'with that front 3'

Sky's veiwing figures for live Premiership games last season were 14% down on the previous season. Last season was alledgedly the best in terms of quality [hmmm!] and this season it's even better with the players getting paid even more ! I have Sky, but I don't think I've sat down and watched a whole game yet, though as the nights draw in etc. that may change. But I'm close to cancelling, and may well decide to soon.
    A lot of talk on our boards about how much 'we' hate Leeds, but for me, those showbiz clubs with their 24/7 narcissistic managers, players and pouting 'fans' are the ones I genuinely dislike..

Viewing figures for European football are at their lowest, that’s why sky dumped these games. Bt are not getting the viewers they anticipated.

Viewing figures for European football are at their lowest, that’s why sky dumped these games. Bt are not getting the viewers they anticipated.
    Is that because not enough people are prepared to pay for an extra subscription for the European stuff? You can guarantee viewing figures would have been higher had it remained on Sky. BT obviously took a gamble that "fans" would pay extra for Champions/Europa League football, a rather misguided one at that by the sounds of it.

If the figures are down it's because BT are showing it and nothing more....imo.
    The global interest in the European elite clubs is at an all time high, hence the money currently in the game.
    The rest of the Premier league clubs would do well to learn from the football leagues mistakes and give them a bigger slice of the pie to delay the inevitable.
    You wouldn't expect the whole cast in a movie blockbuster to be paid the same as the main star after all