+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Greedy getting greedier

Re: Greedy getting greedier

Quote Originally Posted by binman View Post
    Exactly what I was thinking - however Wolves would win The European Super League by Christmas 'with that front 3'
    Remember Bristol City qualified for the Europa league whilst still in the championship.
    Well the fans thought they would..

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiw-Blue View Post
    If the figures are down it's because BT are showing it and nothing more....imo.
    The global interest in the European elite clubs is at an all time high, hence the money currently in the game.
    The rest of the Premier league clubs would do well to learn from the football leagues mistakes and give them a bigger slice of the pie to delay the inevitable.
    You wouldn't expect the whole cast in a movie blockbuster to be paid the same as the main star after all
    Wow... Genuinely speechless at how you perceive football. So you basically want to ensure that no-one can ever do a Leicester again?

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    I was thinking more about the fans rather than the greedy clubs. I mostly watch youth team matches these days, and they play some lovely one-touch football. So yeah, I'm all for going back to basics, and getting rid of the silly money that has ruined the game.
    But which fans? More people than ever like top flight English football, that's why there's so much money available. It might not suit fans of smaller clubs like us, but for the majority of fans the current situation is absolutely fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    Alternatively, let's see if the top 6 can survive without the rest of us. They need the cannon fodder to look good.

I'd be interested if the TV companies thought a league with only 6 teams was worth paying for.
    It'll happen one day and probably sooner than we think. Teens and youngsters are used to playing PSG v Bayern and Real Madrid v Man Utd regularly on FIFA. You also mention fans like tradition but for today's youngsters, clubs like Sheffield Wednesday and Forest mean as much as Huddersfield and Preston when I was young.

If they left the big clubs would survive, but it wouldn't be a six team league, it would be continent wide and probably packaged up with EA Sports. But some cannon fodder would go to the wall. It would also accelerate the current trend of clubs like Chelsea hoovering up young talent, and maybe their contracts wouldn't allow them to come down to the minor leagues if there's been a breakaway under a different association.

All this isn't a defence of the current situation, I think it's terribly sad that I might not see another Leicester, I'm just being realistic. The non-big-6 have a huge amount to lose by voting out the big boys and it wouldn't turn the clock back 30 years.

I disagree. Personally I'm not the slightest bit interested in the Champions League. I think if those teams go then they're in danger of cutting off their life blood. Most fans want tradition and competition.

I may be wrong and a 'World Series' model might appeal but I think that if you remove the Domestic bragging rights - 10 times League Champioins, etc - then I'm not sure what the teams would exist for? Certainly the supporters couldn't afford to travel to away games on a regular basis just due to time if nothing else.

I've wanted them to **** off for years. I hope they go and take their entitlement with them.
    Same here, I'll watch the Final if I can and maybe the odd game when it becomes a knock out tournament, but I can't remember the last time I sat down and watched a pre Christmas game all the way through in that competition. The old style European Cup, which really was for Champions, was a far better competition than the current version, but, money is the be all and end all these days and the "biggest" club's needs have to be catered for first and foremost, no matter how mediocre they are on the pitch.

Wow... Genuinely speechless at how you perceive football. So you basically want to ensure that no-one can ever do a Leicester again?
    I don't want to at all. I can just recognise history repeating itself and as sure as night follows day the big clubs will squeeze more money out of the smaller clubs whether they like it or not.
    It doesn't matter that you and Bob don't like the Champions league or don't want to watch ManU/Liverpool every other week, half of Asia do and like it or not football economics being how it is will sooner or later follow the money

Jose said that Everton should be challenging for top four having spent over 100m but the big sides in this division have spent close to that several seasons in a row. There is already massive inequality in most leagues due to champions league football (is there any point to working out which of real Madrid and Barcelona will score the most goals against a smaller Spanish side?) but this will just add to that. If the big clubs break away then football as we know it takes a potentially critical hit.

I think I first read about the possibility of a Super League involving the top teams in Europe while thumbing through a Charles Buchan's Football Monthly in the 60s - it's always been reported as not being far away, but fifty years later, it seems no closer than it was when George Best and Bobby Charlton were winning the European Cup for Man United.

I suppose the replacement for the European Cup with it's stream of meaningless games that do nothing more than reduce the possibility of one of the "super clubs" being knocked out early is quite close to what the "visionaries" were talking about in the sixties, but, if it is really anything like what a European League would look like in the future, then count me out. Truth be told, I don't think it would be half as successful as many claim it would - domestic leagues have rivalries going back decades that you just wouldn't get in some bland, antiseptic competition where the same few teams play each other year in, year out.

Apparently the 'Top 6' have approached Wolves.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    Leeds would become the richest club in the world.
    You have misspelt universe

If it happens, I expect it to be an explosive Bosman-like event. Maybe a huge name getting a career ender in an international friendly and a small FA is sued by PSG or some other giant.

They certainly won't be chucked out of their leagues by the other clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    I was thinking more about the fans rather than the greedy clubs. I mostly watch youth team matches these days, and they play some lovely one-touch football. So yeah, I'm all for going back to basics, and getting rid of the silly money that has ruined the game.
    Sounds like you dont watch the club you say you support very much. What would be the point of City trying to get promoted to the Premier League if they werent going to play the likes of Liverpool, Arsenal, Man Utd etc. The whole point of the pyramid system is to give fans something to aspire to and improve competition. It would all become meaningless with no enjoyment or hope for the fans.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Sounds like you dont watch the club you say you support very much. What would be the point of City trying to get promoted to the Premier League if they werent going to play the likes of Liverpool, Arsenal, Man Utd etc. The whole point of the pyramid system is to give fans something to aspire to and improve competition. It would all become meaningless with no enjoyment or hope for the fans.
    The top of the pyramid has become very distorted with the same teams making it into the Champions League every year. I for one view this as a huge negative.

Regarding the City, I was there during the dark days of a few thousand supporters, and I quite enjoyed having half of the Bob Bank all to myself! Like many, I found the turning red episode a rather unpleasant experience and discovered other things to do. I really enjoy the local football scene, watching out for the next Gareth Bale, but I may make a comeback to the CCS if they offer half-season tickets after Xmas!

Can I sit next to you?