+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: English born Welsh players

Re: English born Welsh players

So I'm born & bred Cardiff, I live in England and my wife is Spanish.
    My 16 yr old son is sn international fencer and could have represent England, Wales or Scotland ( through his maternal grandmother).
    Representing England was not an impossibility but was a more difficult route, however in my mind was never an option, he has represented Wales and has now qualified to represent GB (the only Welsh fencer out of 12) in European competitions. Since being with the Welsh squad he has embraced his 'Welshness' and wouldn't have had it any other way.
    I'm trying to say he was ambivalent about representing Wales until he was immersed within Welsh fencing but is now really glad of his choice, even though he would have made the England team. Hope that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by G rangetown Blue View Post
    I said they would obviously rather play for England. Surely you're not doubting that?

They are denying Welsh players (some who only qualify for Wales) a cap for their country, it's not right however you want to dress it up.

Ryan Giggs played every meaningful game for Wales he could. He is the most decorated Welsh player in history, one of the most decorated in the whole World, and managed his career perfectly. The fact that he never showed up for some dead rubber games, or money making friedlies was probably instigated by the MUFC management, and they were probably right.
    Surely a "proper Welshman" would jump at the chance to represent his country at every opportunity?

I have a nuanced view on this. Personally, Welsh-born, spent later childhood growing up in England and have Pakistani descent. If I was a pro footballer or sportsman, I would not be sure of which team to choose as I love all countries equally

Quote Originally Posted by joecity View Post
    Course I see the difference but again I would say it's up to the individual. Of course i would be miffed if Bale played for England and some would be slagging off the FA for identifying Welsh/English qualified talent. Hargreaves came through the u21 with Brian Flynn whilst with B.Munich., he wanted to play for England and he did. I guess I mean you either want to play for Wales or you don't. Maybe England and the profile/agents/media could twist you're arm but the other way around seems more like a want. I'm happy with that.
    That's a really good way of putting it. Despite the potential lure of bigger money and fame, a lot of the dual youngsters are now choosing Wales.

You've got to hand it to the whole of the FAW staff, and by that I mean the original influence of Gary Speed. He changed everything, and with that came a change in the old dinosaur suits that used to infest and strangle our potential.

Then I just looked up the head of the FAW Jonathon Ford, and this guy's appointment seems to have had a massive effect on our fortunes:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/f...cutive-2064559

Everything seems to have improved since this guy arrived into the role. The appointment of Speed, and everything since stems from this appointment IMO.

I remember banging my head as a kid, simply looking at the previous incumbents, David Collins and Alun Evans who seemed to exist simply as FA yes men.

This might be harsh, and I'm more than happy to be educated on the facts, but the new guy has definitely grabbed the whole thing by the horns and run with it. And hugely to our benefit.

:clap:

Quote Originally Posted by Arfur Europe View Post
    That's a really good way of putting it. Despite the potential lure of bigger money and fame, a lot of the dual youngsters are now choosing Wales.

You've got to hand it to the whole of the FAW staff, and by that I mean the original influence of Gary Speed. He changed everything, and with that came a change in the old dinosaur suits that used to infest and strangle our potential.

Then I just looked up the head of the FAW Jonathon Ford, and this guy's appointment seems to have had a massive effect on our fortunes:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/f...cutive-2064559

Everything seems to have improved since this guy arrived into the role. The appointment of Speed, and everything since stems from this appointment IMO.

I remember banging my head as a kid, simply looking at the previous incumbents, David Collins and Alun Evans who seemed to exist simply as FA yes men.

This might be harsh, and I'm more than happy to be educated on the facts, but the new guy has definitely grabbed the whole thing by the horns and run with it. And hugely to our benefit.

:clap:
    No need to be educated, you are bang on. Alun Evans sacked Terry Yorath who came within Bodin's boot of getting over the line. Read the old player's autobiography's and the common thread is playing for Wales was done on the cheap and shabby like but they did it anyway. Now our house is in order thanks to a lot of hard work we are seeing the benefit's. Why wouldn't you want to play for Wales. Why wouldn't you want to take you're coaching badges under Osian Roberts in Newport. The list of recent pro's who have would make the English FA blush if they weren't so grey.

Quote Originally Posted by joecity View Post
    No need to be educated, you are bang on. Alun Evans sacked Terry Yorath who came within Bodin's boot of getting over the line. Read the old player's autobiography's and the common thread is playing for Wales was done on the cheap and shabby like but they did it anyway. Now our house is in order thanks to a lot of hard work we are seeing the benefit's. Why wouldn't you want to play for Wales. Why wouldn't you want to take you're coaching badges under Osian Roberts in Newport. The list of recent pro's who have would make the English FA blush if they weren't so grey.
    I've seen the likes of Thierry Henry and Patrick Viera doing their badges at Dragon Park and it fills me with pride. We're absolutely flying, and long may it continue.

Quote Originally Posted by Arfur Europe View Post
    I've seen the likes of Thierry Henry and Patrick Viera doing their badges at Dragon Park and it fills me with pride. We're absolutely flying, and long may it continue.

It is impressive, Desailly, Makele, Pires? Who care's. The fact is we are more relevant than ever, everybody just gonna have to live with it. Considering where we came from and the resources available it's Roy of the Rovers. It's a good time to be a fan my man

Wasn't going to get involved, but there is so much bitterness and spite in this thread (from one person), that ladies & gentlemen I give you
    :----

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Brooks_(footballer)

Now spend your bitterness for the next ten years on this WELSH lad.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    There’s no difference, youre still contradicting yourself. The Polish players are still stopping a German playing for THEIR country as you put it.
    Of course there's a difference, they turned Poland down.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Surely a "proper Welshman" would jump at the chance to represent his country at every opportunity?
    He did, when he was given the opportunity. Sir Alex picked his games for him unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    I understand the point but Williams has proven himself to be good enough to play for England. Let’s be honest Williams chose to play for Wales at a time the national team was a mess. So I don’t think he has been selfish. He has been far more committed than someone like Giggs.
    Good enough for England? He's been brutally exposed since tippy tappy football ended!
    Last edited by G rangetown Blue; 01-10-17 at 16:33. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Wasn't going to get involved, but there is so much bitterness and spite in this thread (from one person), that ladies & gentlemen I give you
    :----

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Brooks_(footballer)

Now spend your bitterness for the next ten years on this WELSH lad.
    He is actually half Welsh, and he CHOSE to play for Wales RATHER than England.

Get it?

Good enough for England? He's been brutally exposed since tippy tappy football ended!
    This is an England team that routinely get humiliated in major finals. Yeah right.

John & Dave Hollins throw a spanner in the works, brothers yet one an England international the other a Welsh international. Dave born in Bangor when his Dad played for them, John born later when the family had moved to England. Now they played by the rules😂😂😂😂😂

He did, when he was given the opportunity. Sir Alex picked his games for him unfortunately.
    If he was that passionate about Wales he would have played regardless of his club manager's opinions