+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: English born Welsh players

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: English born Welsh players

Quote Originally Posted by G rangetown Blue View Post
    My thoughts on this are (very) well documented.

If a player isn't good enough to be picked for His own country, then why would he / should he, take the place of a Welsh player in their national team.

Obviously, Williams and Vokes would love to play for England, but were not good enough, so (some might say) selfishly play for Wales.
    Couldn't disagree more. I wish every Welsh person spoke Welsh but they don't and mostly can't. It's fine, It's the way it is for many reasons. Doesn't make them any any less Welsh too me it would just be nice in my mind. I buzzed hard when Williams, Vokes plus Robson-Kanu scored against Belgium as well as other high's in our game. They did n all, You can see it. It means something.

Quote Originally Posted by joecity View Post
    Couldn't disagree more. I wish every Welsh person spoke Welsh but they don't and mostly can't. It's fine, It's the way it is for many reasons. Doesn't make them any any less Welsh too me it would just be nice in my mind. I buzzed hard when Williams, Vokes plus Robson-Kanu scored against Belgium as well as other high's in our game. They did n all, You can see it. It means something.
    You completely missed my point.
    Why should an Englishman, rejected by England, play for Wales instead of a Welshman?
    It's just selfish and egotistical, and morally wrong.
    A few players (recent e.g. Turner and Shawcross), have politely declined, even though they 'qualify' they are not Welsh, and therefore did the decent thing.

You completely missed my point.
    Why should an Englishman, rejected by England, play for Wales instead of a Welshman?
    It's just selfish and egotistical, and morally wrong.
    A few players (recent e.g. Turner and Shawcross), have politely declined, even though they 'qualify' they are not Welsh, and therefore did the decent thing.
    Still disagree sorry. Doubt Vokes and Williams were approached by England, couldn't care if they were. Turner n Shawcross either weren't or feel 100 English. Good for them. My old mans Dad is from Sierra Leon. He was born in Barry and is as welsh as they come, point is you are where you are now. If you feel Welsh then so be it. That is what you are. If Welsh born player's miss out to a dual player then they need to get better. Of course for me they would all speak Welsh and Be born of the Hen Wlad but they are not. As long as they commit and buzz of it i'm in.

Quote Originally Posted by joecity View Post
    Still disagree sorry. Doubt Vokes and Williams were approached by England, couldn't care if they were. Turner n Shawcross either weren't or feel 100 English. Good for them. My old mans Dad is from Sierra Leon. He was born in Barry and is as welsh as they come, point is you are where you are now. If you feel Welsh then so be it. That is what you are. If Welsh born player's miss out to a dual player then they need to get better. Of course for me they would all speak Welsh and Be born of the Hen Wlad but they are not. As long as they commit and buzz of it i'm in.
    Of course they weren't approached by England, that's why they play for us.

Of course they weren't approached by England, that's why they play for us.
    I meant Turner n the donkey mate