Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
I've seen many a thread in my time saying how stupid it is having all these South Africans playing for England in Cricket, and how it turns the sport into a farce. What we are seeing is players born in South Africa using ties to the country via parentage and then playing for a country. Did Kevin Pietersen grow up wanting to play for England, i dont think so, however the system made it easier to play for England and make it to the top than if he stayed in SA

What we then see is the very same people who would ridicule the Cricket model, will go out of their way to defend exactly the same thing happening in Welsh football.

Lets be honest the system as it stands isnt great. Wales do systematically identify players with legacy qualifications and get them playing in the age groups system in Wales. It has to do this to some extent because Wales has next to no structure in bringing through young players outside of the 4 English Football league clubs.

What is international sport, is it a product where you exhibit the best talent you can produce as a country, or is it a product where you use the rules to be as successful as you can.

Im as proud as anyone of the Welsh National Team, but i cannot agree with the Grandparent qualification. If people want to highlight the system that Wales employ at the moment, then in a way they are correct, and well within their rights.
Spot on.

The rules make international football pointless