+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Neil between the sticks not the Gaffer

Neil between the sticks not the Gaffer

Feck all to do for 90 minutes then produced two brilliant saves at the end.
    Top marks Neil.
    Credit where credit is due.

Typically we would have lost that game but that's the difference.
    We are better.
    much better.

Re: Neil between the sticks not the Gaffer

Did the same Tuesday night at 2-0. Very good keeper for this level.
    Warnock gone down a division and got us 2 gems in Etheridge and NML

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Hill View Post
    Did the same Tuesday night at 2-0. Very good keeper for this level.
    Warnock gone down a division and got us 2 gems in Etheridge and NML
    Good players for us, yes, but maybe that's not so surprising.

Mendez-Laing has played Championship football before and came from Wolves academy, being a part of their squad in the Premier League.

Etheridge was back up at Fulham in the Premier League for a number of seasons, having come from Chelsea's academy.

In Mendez-Laing's case he appears to have been unable to get regular football until Rochdale came along. He did well for them but I've been surprised at how well he's settled in with us. Certainly one of our players of the season so far.

Etheridge has only had regular football for the last couple of seasons, due to limited opportunities at Fulham where he was recalled from loan spells a few times.

Both appear to be players that have finally had an opportunity to grasp, have done so at a lower level, but had the pedigree to make the step up.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post

Mendez-Laing has played Championship football before and came from Wolves academy, being a part of their squad in the Premier League.

Etheridge was back up at Fulham in the Premier League for a number of seasons, having come from Chelsea's academy.

In Mendez-Laing's case he appears to have been unable to get regular football until Rochdale came along. He did well for them but I've been surprised at how well he's settled in with us. Certainly one of our players of the season so far.

Etheridge has only had regular football for the last couple of seasons, due to limited opportunities at Fulham where he was recalled from loan spells a few times.

Both appear to be players that have finally had an opportunity to grasp, have done so at a lower level, but had the pedigree to make the step up.
    I’m fully aware of both players career paths.

Why has there always got be be “but” with you?

I pity you and your insatiable need to be negative

All those paragraphs and whatever point your trying to make still isn't clear.

He has played well in the last 2 games. I did not rate him at all before that though. I welcome this change of form to prove me wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Blooburd View Post
    He has played well in the last 2 games. I did not rate him at all before that though. I welcome this change of form to prove me wrong
    When he was keeping clean sheets,?

It is tough here for goalkeepers because IMHO we have had many many great ones.

Jim Eadie
    Ron Healey
    Neil Alexander
    David Marshall
    etc.etc.etc.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysAway2 View Post
    It is tough here for goalkeepers because IMHO we have had many many great ones.

Jim Eadie
    Ron Healey
    Neil Alexander
    David Marshall
    etc.etc.etc.
    How could you forget Gavin Ward? He had his own song complete with actions as well!!!
    Gavin, Gavin Ward,
    Gavin, Gavin Ward

Johnny Hallworth was a good keeper for the time too.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    When he was keeping clean sheets,?
    I'm very aware of our scorelines. They don't always reflect the efforts of all the individuals involved though. He had precious little to save and a number of seemingly straight forward shots were spilt or fumbled.

I pity your insatiable need to have a go at me at every opportunity, even choosing to change your name to do so.

The "but" (as you put it) was questioning your suggestion that Warnock had plucked two unknowns from a lower division. Not quite the case, but happy for you to debate this with facts.

Anyway, back to my point, I'm not surprised both players have made the step-up. I fail to see how I was negative. Maybe you can explain.

I pity your insatiable need to have a go at me at every opportunity, even choosing to change your name to do so.

The "but" (as you put it) was questioning your suggestion that Warnock had plucked two unknowns from a lower division. Not quite the case, but happy for you to debate this with facts.

Anyway, back to my point, I'm not surprised both players have made the step-up. I fail to see how I was negative. Maybe you can explain.
    If you want to deal in FACTS. Here is what I said.

"Warnock gone down a division and got us 2 gems in Etheridge and NML"

We signed NML from Rochdale, who are in League 1, a division lower. FACT.
    We signed Etheridge from Walsall, who are also in League 1, a division lower. Another FACT.

If you took from that one short statement that I was inferring that Warnock "had plucked two unknowns from a lower division" and you then felt the need to question this "suggestion" then thats your problem but your wrong. Where in that very short statement did I even hint that they were unknown?

I was merely complimenting Warnock for having the balls to go down and sign players from the league below, something a lot of managers are reluctant to do . The fact these two players spent some time without ever appearing for the first team at Chelsea, Fulham or Wolves is irrelevant as far as im concerned. All of Etheridges appearances have been at lower league clubs, and the majority of NML's career has been played in League 1.

I think most people, well ones that dont have a chip on their shoulder like you, would acknowldege they were lower league players prior to signing for us. In fact, they dont need to acknowledge it, its FACT. They were signed from a lower league.

PS: I havent changed any username?? Maybe, just maybe, more than one person has a pop at you because youre a passive aggressive know-it-all.

Mendez-Laing was fat, that's why he didn't make it. He had the talent but didn't look after himself or take his career seriously enough. It seems the penny has dropped when the only contract he had on the table was Rochdale and he's flourishing.

If you want to deal in FACTS. Here is what I said.

"Warnock gone down a division and got us 2 gems in Etheridge and NML"

We signed NML from Rochdale, who are in League 1, a division lower. FACT.
    We signed Etheridge from Walsall, who are also in League 1, a division lower. Another FACT.

If you took from that one short statement that I was inferring that Warnock "had plucked two unknowns from a lower division" and you then felt the need to question this "suggestion" then thats your problem but your wrong. Where in that very short statement did I even hint that they were unknown?

I was merely complimenting Warnock for having the balls to go down and sign players from the league below, something a lot of managers are reluctant to do . The fact these two players spent some time without ever appearing for the first team at Chelsea, Fulham or Wolves is irrelevant as far as im concerned. All of Etheridges appearances have been at lower league clubs, and the majority of NML's career has been played in League 1.

I think most people, well ones that dont have a chip on their shoulder like you, would acknowldege they were lower league players prior to signing for us. In fact, they dont need to acknowledge it, its FACT. They were signed from a lower league.

PS: I havent changed any username?? Maybe, just maybe, more than one person has a pop at you because youre a passive aggressive know-it-all.
    Passive aggressive? As opposed to just being aggressive like yourself? As for know-it-all, you seem to enjoy putting words in other peoples' mouths.

This is a message board. Get over it. People reply to comments. That's how it works. You are right that both players were signed from a lower division club. My addition was that I'm not surprised that they've made the step-up given their history. Was I not allowed to suggest that? It's all perfectly logical to most bar you, but instead you chose to have a pop at me (as you enjoy doing with others).

hallworth was very good for us

Eric are you getting into petty squabbles about Etheridge again? Dearie me.

I've never seen Eric to be over negative about football.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Eric are you getting into petty squabbles about Etheridge again? Dearie me.
    Not at all. I'm not prepared to be bullied by a couple of knobheads.

Inbox me hun x

Bullied You started picking holes in his post and then put words into his post that werent there. He never said they were "unknowns".

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Bullied You started picking holes in his post
    Picking what holes? I was offering an additional opinion that we shouldn't be surprised that they've made the step up. If you regard that as picking holes then I pity you. Not in any way did I contradict or go against the post I replied to. I was even described as being negative with my reply! Really? Where?

We're used to you having a pop at people, that's what you do on here in the main.