+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The absent thousands pick a good game to miss as Derby “park the bus”.

The absent thousands pick a good game to miss as Derby “park the bus”.

Re: The absent thousands pick a good game to miss as Derby “park the bus”.

Thanks Bob for the write up.

I think most would agree about being disappointed Warnock didn't go for it more with the subs.

In fact Derby were more positive- going 4-4-2 for the last 10-15

Maybe Warnock sensed we were spent and had missed our chances to win by 75 mins with Ralls and Bamba both looking out on their feet and our grip on Derbys pedestrian midfield completely gone.

Really needed a centre mid on the bench and the only option he had was Halford.

Maybe could have gone 4-4-2 with Feeney and NML dropping back a little and bringing Ward on, but with the middle 2-3 looking spent perhaps he felt we'd lose if he did that.

Shame, I really want to see more of Ward and Tomlin as both are talented players

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Thanks Bob for the write up.

I think most would agree about being disappointed Warnock didn't go for it more with the subs.

In fact Derby were more positive- going 4-4-2 for the last 10-15

Maybe Warnock sensed we were spent and had missed our chances to win by 75 mins with Ralls and Bamba both looking out on their feet and our grip on Derbys pedestrian midfield completely gone.

Really needed a centre mid on the bench and the only option he had was Halford.

Maybe could have gone 4-4-2 with Feeney and NML dropping back a little and bringing Ward on, but with the middle 2-3 looking spent perhaps he felt we'd lose if he did that.

Shame, I really want to see more of Ward and Tomlin as both are talented players
    Agree I am still waiting to see Ward alongside Zohore in the right situation, but you have called it correct no Gunnars and Bryson didn't help.
    7 points from 3 games, clean sheet and still unbeaten at home, top at the end of September ... long way to go but dare to dream !

TOBW. Your writing is bloody superb and a great read, especially as I was there for once and witnessed a game I thoroughly enjoyed ... not least because we nearly lost it at the death.

Regarding our fans (the missing ones). Leeds was a massive game for lots of reasons some historic.
    Derby on a Saturday afternoon just didn't seem exciting even to me ... a diehard.

Thanks Bob.

I think having Peltier in the team in a game where teams "park the bus" is a big problem.

Years ago I went to Coventry to watch City play and knew their manager had done his homework when I saw how much time and space they were allowing Kevin Mcnaughton who duly proceeded to run up the line and kick the ball out of touch for a goal kick!

In the premier league Ben Turner was allowed all the time in the world as the opposition knew he would give the ball straight back to them.

Yesterday to a lesser extent I saw the same pattern with Peltier. If we are playing Wolves or Leeds away then there's no better player to have in your ranks than a warrior like Peltier but if you've got to break a team down then he quickly becomes a liability.
    He offered Mendez-Laing no support as an attacking outlet whatsoever and his body is shaped to ping the ball up the line 5 seconds before he receives the ball at times!

I honestly believe if Jazz or Patterson was playing yesterday we would have broke Derby down.

Thanks Bob the only match review worth reading, this message board and your blog is enough for any serous City fan.

Am I the only one who has detected Neil has a cautious approach to substitutions.

I agree with you about Pelts but Bennett isn't getting as forward either.

I would have liked to see Tomlin start instead of Ralls and when a team parks the bus then you need to support your main striker. Maybe Warnock could have gone 3 at the back and replaced Bennett with Ward to go 3.5.2?

Bennett is a fine defensive player but doesn't push on enough , still it's good to have him in the team

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Excellent, as always. Thanks to Gringo for saving me from having to do my usual moan about the full backs in games like that. It is going to be interesting to see what he does with Paterson when he's fit.

You confused yourself with the Bristol City crowd stat. It was a Ł5 game. We also had a full price game 5 days later then and the crowd dropped to under 16,000. Not as dramatic a fall as this week but the trend is still there. Twas ever thus though, everyone seems to have their own example on here (the 16,000 crowd v Burnley followed by a 7,500 one v Walsall four days later in '92 is mine). It doesn't bother me as much as it probably should, I've got used to it over the years, but I was surprised how low it was yesterday. Everyone at the club seems to be doing all they can, on and off the pitch, they deserve better support.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Thanks Bob the only match review worth reading, this message board and your blog is enough for any serous City fan.

Am I the only one who has detected Neil has a cautious approach to substitutions.
    Dave Jonesesque you mean.