+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I actually believe Vincent Tan has become our BEST owner of the club in my lifetime

I actually believe Vincent Tan has become our BEST owner of the club in my lifetime

Knowing some of the posters here this honest assessment will bring unpleasantness.

That said does anyone agree with me.

He of course made one awful decision a long time ago BUT he has regained my gratitute and I am glad to have lived long enough to see us at the Top again.

Re: I actually believe Vincent Tan has become our BEST owner of the club in my lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysAway2 View Post
    Knowing some of the posters here this honest assessment will bring unpleasantness.

He of course made one awful decision a long time ago BUT he has regained my gratitute and I am glad to have lived long enough to see us at the Top again.
    It's nice to be top in blue, that's for sure.

Re: I actually believe Vincent Tan has become our BEST owner of the club in my lifetime

There would be no Cardiff City without Tans money.

My view is contained in here. In essence, Yes:

http://www.ccmb.co.uk/showthread.php?427304-Gunnarsson

Hopefully he will choose green or yellow the next time we are promoted!

The owners popularity is in direct relation to the team's performance on the pitch. If we were struggling Tan wouldn't be nearly as good. In fairness he has become rehabilitated in the eyes of many fans although a few bitter and twisted who will never forgive and forget remain.

I’m going five pager thread, ten if the gunman sees it

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    eleven at the least.

Without being disrespectful, do we care what ex fans like the gunman and the disloyal Jirga think?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Without being disrespectful, do we care what ex fans like the gunman and the disloyal Jirga think?

Fantastic owner ....Jirgas got about 3 different user names , the Gimp

We’ve had a seriously chequered past when it comes to owners.
    Tan’s made two big mistakes imho, one of them is obvious, the other was giving Malky the keys to the piggy bank.
    Other than that, we haven’t had it so good in my lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post

Fantastic owner ..

..Jirgas got about 3 different user names , the Gimp

Agree with the OP. Even OJ Simpson has been let out of jail now.

Forgive and forget , Tan has tried hard to put things right.

TLG has been to watch City several times btw.

I dont agree

Quote Originally Posted by Superdad View Post
    Fantastic owner ....Jirgas got about 3 different user names , the Gimp
    I have one username. I have seen accusations that I am Kris. I am not, and have no reason to lie.

I have also received accusations that I am trolling. I am not, I am giving an opinion on a public forum, and I do so without calling people I disagree with gimps, and I do so without accusing others of posting under multiple ids.

I have received accusations that I post in a similar style to other posters - what is that, in English? Possibly, other posters share the same views as me, they do that independently of me and I have no control over what any of the people who are, in your paranoid world, me post.

Now, to prevent further accusations of trolling (i.e. back to the thread topic), would Tan suddenly become a less great owner if Cardiff drop to 7th? Is an owner to be judged purely on league position? In which case, the owner of the club in 1924 would have the greatest claim to being the greatest owner.

How about owners who have accomplished the most with the least amount of money at their disposal? In which case, the owners of the 60s and 70s would have the greatest claims.

I see that the crowd was down to a sub 20,000 again, and a few people here are complaining that the people of Cardiff and the surrounding areas are not getting behind their club. Oddly (and again at the risk of a life-time ban for "trolling", but this is genuinely my opinion), I disagree. The club were able to attract crowds of more than 20,000 with higher ticket prices (in real terms) in 2009-10. In fact, sub 20,000 crowds at CCS were a rarity until recently, and far from blaming an "apathetic and tight-fisted" local population, I blame Tan's handling of the re-brand, it's reversal, it's reversal, and it's reversal (mum told me to do it). I blame Tan's comments about being happy to lose "25%" of the fan base.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/21604568

There were many comments from Vincent Tan back in the height of the rebrand days that made it fairly obvious to those of us who disagreed with his methods that we were expendable and that we could go whistle. Which is what many of us are continuing to do. After all, we were told that we wouldn't be missed (yet, you are moaning about our absence) and there were droves of people waiting to take our seats.

The very fact that the football club are unable to pull in 20,000 people for a Saturday 3pm kick off, despite being top, despite outplaying Leeds United four days earlier, despite (in my opinion) very good ticket prices at the club (in fairness to Tan, he has kept ticket prices very fair, in fact they are priced fairly reasonably) - this very fact is down, in a large part, to Vincent Tan's actions in the past.

Now, we can all argue whether he has "righted his wrongs", or he hasn't "righted his wrongs", but his actions in 2012 led to a few people sitting and questioning whether there was an entity to be "loyal" to any longer. Jimmy the Jock happily calls me "disloyal jirga", he's entitled to that opinion. It's a pathetic wind-up attempt because, unlike him, I now realise that "Cardiff City" football "club" are not a club nor an entity that deserves my loyalty. I wonder if Jimmy was at some of the games I was at, with sub 1000 and sub 2000 crowds? He probably was at all of them, the loyal sod.

So, back to the OP - a question, Why weren't you lauding Vincent Tan in December 2013? Or September 2014? Or September 2015? Or September 2016? Is your view that Tan is the "greatest" owner ever as short term as Tan's plans for a Cardiff City that played in red and were going to dominate the Malaysian football shirt market?
    Last edited by Badly Ironed Shirt; 01-10-17 at 17:32. Reason: Misspelt "Blaming" as "Blaiming".

I was not alive in 1924.

Quote Originally Posted by Mambo View Post
    Owners I can remember are :-
    Sam Hammam
    Ridsdale (was he actually an owner - or just chairman?)
    Rick Wright
    Kumar
    Clemo

Rick Wright wanted us to play in the Welsh League
    Clemo - wasn't he done for something dodgy with his business ?
    Ridsdale - I soprt of liked a s person - but he seemed to be paying himself an awful lot of the clubs money.
    Kumar - seemed to be a dodgy dealer from the west midlands
    Hammam - we all know the story there.

So given that list - Tan is in my opinion probably the 'best' of the bunch
    Wright didn't want to play in the Welsh League. He wanted to put a reserve team in there to keep Cardiff in European football.

[QUOTE=AlwaysAway2;4789751]Knowing some of the posters here this honest assessment will bring unpleasantness.

He of course made one awful decision a long time ago BUT he has regained my gratitute and I am glad to have lived long enough to see us at the Top again.:ayatollah
    Last edited by chepstow; 01-10-17 at 18:01. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    I have one username. I have seen accusations that I am Kris. I am not, and have no reason to lie.

I have also received accusations that I am trolling. I am not, I am giving an opinion on a public forum, and I do so without calling people I disagree with gimps, and I do so without accusing others of posting under multiple ids.

I have received accusations that I post in a similar style to other posters - what is that, in English? Possibly, other posters share the same views as me, they do that independently of me and I have no control over what any of the people who are, in your paranoid world, me post.

Now, to prevent further accusations of trolling (i.e. back to the thread topic), would Tan suddenly become a less great owner if Cardiff drop to 7th? Is an owner to be judged purely on league position? In which case, the owner of the club in 1924 would have the greatest claim to being the greatest owner.

How about owners who have accomplished the most with the least amount of money at their disposal? In which case, the owners of the 60s and 70s would have the greatest claims.

I see that the crowd was down to a sub 20,000 again, and a few people here are complaining that the people of Cardiff and the surrounding areas are not getting behind their club. Oddly (and again at the risk of a life-time ban for "trolling", but this is genuinely my opinion), I disagree. The club were able to attract crowds of more than 20,000 with higher ticket prices (in real terms) in 2009-10. In fact, sub 20,000 crowds at CCS were a rarity until recently, and far from blaming an "apathetic and tight-fisted" local population, I blame Tan's handling of the re-brand, it's reversal, it's reversal, and it's reversal (mum told me to do it). I blame Tan's comments about being happy to lose "25%" of the fan base.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/21604568

There were many comments from Vincent Tan back in the height of the rebrand days that made it fairly obvious to those of us who disagreed with his methods that we were expendable and that we could go whistle. Which is what many of us are continuing to do. After all, we were told that we wouldn't be missed (yet, you are moaning about our absence) and there were droves of people waiting to take our seats.

The very fact that the football club are unable to pull in 20,000 people for a Saturday 3pm kick off, despite being top, despite outplaying Leeds United four days earlier, despite (in my opinion) very good ticket prices at the club (in fairness to Tan, he has kept ticket prices very fair, in fact they are priced fairly reasonably) - this very fact is down, in a large part, to Vincent Tan's actions in the past.

Now, we can all argue whether he has "righted his wrongs", or he hasn't "righted his wrongs", but his actions in 2012 led to a few people sitting and questioning whether there was an entity to be "loyal" to any longer. Jimmy the Jock happily calls me "disloyal jirga", he's entitled to that opinion. It's a pathetic wind-up attempt because, unlike him, I now realise that "Cardiff City" football "club" are not a club nor an entity that deserves my loyalty. I wonder if Jimmy was at some of the games I was at, with sub 1000 and sub 2000 crowds? He probably was at all of them, the loyal sod.

So, back to the OP - a question, Why weren't you lauding Vincent Tan in December 2013? Or September 2014? Or September 2015? Or September 2016? Is your view that Tan is the "greatest" owner ever as short term as Tan's plans for a Cardiff City that played in red and were going to dominate the Malaysian football shirt market?
    That's a well reasoned and fair point of view. There's no point in revisiting all the arguments that have gone before as there is no right or wrong - just opinions depending on what you prioritise as important to you. The OP asked whether VT was the best owner in our lifetimes and, with my personal hierarchy of priorities, I think he is. It would be impossible for people who hold your differing priorities to hold the same views as me.

I'm grateful to everyone who protested against Red and helped achieve the U-turn on this issue, and I'd hope that many of them would now be happy to return with that accomplished. I'm just sorry that you are unable to get past the insults you felt you received and just got back to supporting a team that will hopefully be here long after VT has sold up and moved on. I don't support VT, I support the football Club that VT just happens to be the latest custodian of.

On that score, on the whole, I think he's done a great job of taking us from a basket case of a club without a pot to piss in to one where we have the foundations to hopefully move on to a more solid future. My worry is that VT moves on and leaves us with yet another chancer.

Are you only 7 yo then?

Certainly great times to be a City Fan. Good team built on a reasonable budget and a United Fan Base behind the club. Most of that down to Warnock though. However Tan appointed him.

Dont get this obsession with the missing 6000. They will flock back with success.

Vinnie probably doing what he always should have - stayed in the backround.

Competition for best owner isnt great is it - Sam , Ridsdale , Kumar etc.

Vin should be judged when he leaves. If its in a healthier position then hes probably the best.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    There would be no Cardiff City without Tans money.
    How many clubs at this level have disappeared?

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I agree. I dont think we would have gone out of existence. Highly doubtful we would be the club we are today though.

I think a double relegation , administration and the likelihood of the businesses and livelihoods of those affected by the admin at serious risk which may have put someone out of business.

Reality is we will never know. Just enjoy what we have,

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    We would not be where we are for sure.How many local business people would have helped.We are where we are because of Tan.

We’ve had a seriously chequered past when it comes to owners.
    Tan’s made two big mistakes imho, one of them is obvious, the other was giving Malky the keys to the piggy bank.
    Other than that, we haven’t had it so good in my lifetime
    This!