+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Georgia v Wales - No Bale

Re: Georgia v Wales - No Bale

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
    Woodburn must start, period.
    I'm not sure playing him while he's started his periods is a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post
    If think Vokes is nailed on to start.

Without him we'd have kanu as the focal point, that isn't happening.
    I don't think Vokes is nailed on to start at all, especially against Ireland who will be quite happy to get into a battle with an immobile "lump".

I think we've looked far better with Kanu up top in recent games.

I am more worried about Georgia than Ireland. They always cause us problems. Ireland are o.k but I don't think they are all that. Course it will be tough with a Premier League+ feel. They are no mugs but I don't think they are as good as recent teams. They don't seem that confident either, I haven't read all the pages on the forum's though. They got our traveling away and Bale in their favour obviously. First things first. Friday gonna be hard, If we can get a result there I will be confident.

It's the old "double bluff" from Coleman.

Good teams miss big players and find a way to win. All this means is that our players have to step up, our supporting coaches and fans have to step up, and step up again because of the boost it will have given the Georgians and Irish.

"Don't be afraid to have dreams"

Ah well, didnt want to go to Russia anyway

Woodburn ahead of Lawrence for me

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    You cannot replace Bale. With him out you want Ramsey playing further forward to influence play more.

Personally i would go back to a back 5. Have Allen and Ledley holding, Ramsey and Woodburn with HRK as the focal forward.

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post
    If think Vokes is nailed on to start.

Without him we'd have kanu as the focal point, that isn't happening.
    Hal was pivitol against Moldova. You don't know what you're going to get with Hal, but he's put in some splendid performances for Wales over the past few years. That said, Georgia are apparently weak on set pieces and defending headers so we may well see Vokes start. Possibly both?

If Brooks were a couple of caps in and proven internationally already I'd be expecting him to start because of form. With Bale out, we might have to opt for quicker players where we can. I won't be surprised to see Woodburn start because he is a very similar player to Brooks. It's quite likely that one will be the substitute for the other against Georgia.

The fact that Cookie replaced Bale with Bradshaw shows that he's probably thinking about going for the wing back system again.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    By a mile

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    I don't think Vokes is nailed on to start at all, especially against Ireland who will be quite happy to get into a battle with an immobile "lump".

I think we've looked far better with Kanu up top in recent games.
    We have to start Robson-Kanu over Vokes, who looked pedestrian at best vs Austria. I'd play Brooks and Woodburn over Lawrence, although I wouldn't be too surprised if he played HRK, Vokes and Ramsey as the front 3 and reverted to the back 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Mambo View Post
    I thought Lawrence played for Derby on Saturday - much better than he ever played for us and he seems to have bulked a bit.
    Having said that I would start Woodburn against Georgia and bring Woodburn on as a sub for the Ireland game.

Ireland will be wanting to bully woodburn from the start, bring him on after an hour and then see how they cope with him.
    Ireland will try and kick lumps out of us, like they started to do in Dublin. We have to win, let's get them on the back foot. I'd start Woodburn and bring Brooks on too. Both have played in big games now, either for Wales or Sheff Utd and have no fear.

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    You cannot replace Bale. With him out you want Ramsey playing further forward to influence play more.

Personally i would go back to a back 5. Have Allen and Ledley holding, Ramsey and Woodburn with HRK as the focal forward.
    I meant I'd pick him ahead of Lawrence

Henenessey
    Gunter Williams Chester Davies
    Allen Ledley
    Woodburn Ramsey Brooks/Hal
    Vokes

I've seen nothing in Tom Lawrence that excites me, unlike Brooks and Woodburn.
    I thought he was pretty anonymous for Derby against us until the last 10 minutes when we were spent.

In a must win game I be tempted to start with Woodburn or Brooks on Friday and bring the other on if we needed to.
    I suspect though that CC will start with the "proven" Vokes or HRK simply because he knows what he's going to get from them in his generic style.
    It will be tough to get a win out there and our recent results against Georgia favour them hugely, particularly without our talisman.

This also bad news because it can affect Ramsey negatively. He has a tendency to try do too much when he's playing for Wales which often leads to mistakes/breaks down of play/losing the ball. Especially when Bale is out.

Why announce that he's out of both games now !!
    Leave both teams guessing for as long as possible. Why give them another advantage of extra time to formulate and practice a new game plan without us having Bale.
    Woodburn has been our talisman the last two games, so as long he is mentally prepared for it, then he would be a definite start for me.

Quote Originally Posted by JDerrida View Post
    Leave both teams guessing for as long as possible. Why give them another advantage of extra time to formulate and practice a new game plan without us having Bale.
    Woodburn has been our talisman the last two games, so as long he is mentally prepared for it, then he would be a definite start for me.
    Pretty sure Real would have announced it but I like the way you think. Say that we are resting him against Georgia. One hour before kick off on Monday Roy Keane finds out that the boys he has designated to kick feck out of him are no longer required.

Quote Originally Posted by joecity View Post
    Pretty sure Real would have announced it but I like the way you think. Say that we are resting him against Georgia. One hour before kick off on Monday Roy Keane finds out that the boys he has designated to kick feck out of him are no longer required.
    Or he could just say double up on Ramsey boys.

What the **** was Zidane talking about at the weekend suggesting Bale might still play on Sunday night.? He must have known it was a non starter
    We need to be very careful in Georgia and not be hung ho. Obviously we need the win but a draw may still be crucial. Lose and it’s curtains.

International

Re: Georgia v Wales

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Sounds a bit touristy. Spent yesterday hitchhiking around Armenia instead.
    A ot of working ex pats drink there. No inflated prices or anything nd the tee shirts re just to say you've been there, like hard-rock cafes. Its a good night out and the girls are beautiful...

Quote Originally Posted by JDerrida View Post
    Exactly what I've been thinking. Real Madrid seemed to be going along with this too, so perhaps it is one huge psychological game, I see no benefit in announcing this so early

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    We drew in Serbia without him , so we can win these two games without him, but the odds have to be against us now - think I'd be looking at Woodburn or Brooks before Lawrence.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/f...wales-13708441
    Woodburn and Brooks are both impact players, for me. As well as Woodburn has done, he has done it as a "super" sub and I'm not too confident about putting so much on young shoulders.

Saying that, Bale has hardly been in his usual form for Wales of late, and I still believe Wales can qualify without him. Wales struggled to get a draw at home to Georgia with him in the side.

Tom Lawrence, though, offers little in terms of an end product, and so I would vote for Woodburn to start in Georgia with Brooks to replace him if he is struggling, or if he isn't struggling and Wales are winning comfortably. It may actually help Woodburn if Coleman just says "you are starting both games, the pressure is off".

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    What the **** was Zidane talking about at the weekend suggesting Bale might still play on Sunday night.? He must have known it was a non starter
    We need to be very careful in Georgia and not be hung ho. Obviously we need the win but a draw may still be crucial. Lose and it’s curtains.
    I think it's curtains if Wales can't get the full 6 points.

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    Woodburn and Brooks are both impact players, for me. As well as Woodburn has done, he has done it as a "super" sub and I'm not too confident about putting so much on young shoulders.

Saying that, Bale has hardly been in his usual form for Wales of late, and I still believe Wales can qualify without him. Wales struggled to get a draw at home to Georgia with him in the side.

Tom Lawrence, though, offers little in terms of an end product, and so I would vote for Woodburn to start in Georgia with Brooks to replace him if he is struggling, or if he isn't struggling and Wales are winning comfortably. It may actually help Woodburn if Coleman just says "you are starting both games, the pressure is off".
    I agree about telling who ever is starting early., as soon as Coleman and Osian have decided take them aside for a quiet word, build them up.