+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Cardiff City and expected goals.

Cardiff City and expected goals.

I suppose someone my should age dismiss this as gobbledygook, but I found it interesting and the scores from each of our games tend to back up it's accuracy - after ten games we were top of the Championship in terms of most expected goals scored and least expected goals conceded, but I daresay the former suffered a bit on Saturday.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/f...urite-13694086

Re: Cardiff City and expected goals.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I suppose someone my should age dismiss this as gobbledygook, but I found it interesting and the scores from each of our games tend to back up it's accuracy - after ten games we were top of the Championship in terms of most expected goals scored and least expected goals conceded, but I daresay the former suffered a bit on Saturday.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/f...urite-13694086
    Interesting way of looking at it. Perhaps helps to explain why a team like Brentford with more possession, more accurate passing and more shots per game can still struggle.

Another graphic from the same guy who made the charts in that article is for each club, which attackers have contributed the most xG.
    2017-09-27-cardiff.jpg

Zohore is way out in front for us, and in the top three in the division in terms of xG. Over longer periods players will tend to converge towards the blue area which represents the long term conversion rates for the 10th -90th percentile finishers.
    In other words, big ken is probably due a few.

For contrast, here is the same graphic for Swansea.

2017-10-01-swansea.jpg

Purely for means of contrast of course eh Rjk?

Can't believe they didn't spot this obvious bug tbh.

WolvesvCardiff.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Can't believe they didn't spot this obvious bug tbh.

WolvesvCardiff.jpg
    Looks like we absolutely battered them. I'm a layman but it looks like we had loads of chances that we could score, and they had about 1 good chance.