Re: Tom Petty

Damn, one of my favourites.

R.I.P. Tom

Another great rock artist has gone :(

Caught him live in '78 at Knebworth. An excellent live set

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-41475013
    Died just after 3.30am this morning our time so the reports pushed out early yesterday were untrue but upsetting all the same.

RIP.

I remember seeing him at the Capitol.

RIP Tom yet another good ole southern boy passed

Showing my usual impeccable judgment, I decided to stay in the pub and give the support band a miss before going to see Nils Lofgren in the Capitol in 1977 I believe it was - daft thing was that I was aware of how good Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers were and still thought a couple of pints of Brains (after all, I'd only be having about another ten thousand of them in my life!) was a better bet than seeing a band which provided some of the best singles to come out of America in the last forty years.

RIP to someone who came over as a nice bloke.

Blog Entries

RIP Tom.

Devastated. He was one of the few musicians I would buy his new stuff without reviewing and he never let me down.

Listening to the Last DJ album driving into work today.

He has given me countless hours of entertainment over the years and will continue to do so with his great back catalogue. Saddened that there will be no more new material.

TV did a long documentary on him a few years ago; great insight into the man.

I will always regret being on holiday in 77 when he played the Union with Nils Logfren.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Showing my usual impeccable judgment, I decided to stay in the pub and give the support band a miss before going to see Nils Lofgren in the Capitol in 1977 I believe it was - daft thing was that I was aware of how good Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers were and still thought a couple of pints of Brains (after all, I'd only be having about another ten thousand of them in my life!) was a better bet than seeing a band which provided some of the best singles to come out of America in the last forty years.

RIP to someone who came over as a nice bloke.
    Nils Lofgren played in a small village school here in Somerset a number of years back. Seems bizarre even writing that now.

Quote Originally Posted by Cretin Hop View Post
    Devastated. He was one of the few musicians I would buy his new stuff without reviewing and he never let me down.

Listening to the Last DJ album driving into work today.

He has given me countless hours of entertainment over the years and will continue to do so with his great back catalogue. Saddened that there will be no more new material.

TV did a long documentary on him a few years ago; great insight into the man.

I will always regret being on holiday in 77 when he played the Union with Nils Logfren.
    I believe it was with Boomtown Rats that Tom Petty played the Students Union with in the summer of '77, not Nils Lofgren. TP & The Heartbreakers headlined with the Bumtown Prats as support. Sometime early in '78 the The Rats returned to play the Union as headliners. Somehow or other I ended up getting extremely pissed with the band backstage. Geldof kept referring to the band as Tom Petty & The Windbreakers lol.

It was at Cardiff Capitol Theatre early in '77 that Tom Petty supported Nils Lofgren

Not my bag overall. I listened again though this morning. Was a man of principle. Wouldn't let the record company add a dollar to the price his album once he made it, according to whispering Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by joecity View Post
    Not my bag overall. I listened again though this morning. Was a man of principle. Wouldn't let the record company add a dollar to the price his album once he made it, according to whispering Bob.
    That reads badly and doesn't say what I mean. I mean his music was good but not for me. He was talented but still one of the people. Lots to admire.

He's got my respect after what he did to the Jacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
    He's got my respect after what he did to the Jacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    R.I.P. Tom

Another great rock artist has gone :(

Caught him live in '78 at Knebworth. An excellent live set
    I saw him there. Genesis and Jefferson Starship were above him on the bill, but I enjoyed him much more.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    I saw him there. Genesis and Jefferson Starship were above him on the bill, but I enjoyed him much more.
    The two main bands that weekend for me were Tom Petty who played an amazing set and Jefferson Starship. I love Jefferson Airplane and really wanted to see Starship live with Grace Slick. Sadly she was thrown off the bands European tour a night or two before (I think!) for taking the stage pissed and unable to perform. This had allegedly happened too many times, so she was thrown out of the band before they got to Knebworth. Although there set was nice, I was disappointed not see Slick perfrom with them. I also enjoyed the first band on Atlanta Rhythm Section as it was very 'southern rock' sounding. They also dedicated one song to Lynyrd Skynyrd whose plane crash only months before had killed several of the band members. Being a huge Skynyrd fan at the time this went down well in my eyes, as well as a large proportion of the crowd. Many of whom I suspect had been at Knebworth less than two years previously when they had blown the self proclaimed 'greatest band in the world' i.e The Rolling Stones right out out of the water

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    The two main bands that weekend for me were Tom Petty who played an amazing set and Jefferson Starship. I love Jefferson Airplane and really wanted to see Starship live with Grace Slick. Sadly she was thrown off the bands European tour a night or two before (I think!) for taking the stage pissed and unable to perform. This had allegedly happened too many times, so she was thrown out of the band before they got to Knebworth. Although there set was nice, I was disappointed not see Slick perfrom with them. I also enjoyed the first band on Atlanta Rhythm Section as it was very 'southern rock' sounding. They also dedicated one song to Lynyrd Skynyrd whose plane crash only months before had killed several of the band members. Being a huge Skynyrd fan at the time this went down well in my eyes, as well as a large proportion of the crowd. Many of whom I suspect had been at Knebworth less than two years previously when they had blown the self proclaimed 'greatest band in the world' i.e The Rolling Stones right out out of the water
    Yes, that's all bringing the memories back. I lived in Knebworth and went most years around that time. Lynyrd Skynyrd and Atlanta Rhythm Section were good. Nils Lofgren was there one year but can't remember which. I went to both of the Led Zep gigs in '79. There was some God support for them, Marshall Tucker Band and Southside Johnny amongst them.

His early stuff is really good, although I must admit I've never paid much attention to it before now. I can see how he has influenced a lot of the later generation musicians. He music will most certainly live on, nice one Tom