+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Liverpool after David Brooks?

Blue in the Face

Re: Liverpool after David Brooks?

I don't know his contract situation, but if Sheffield United are looking good by January he should see the season out with them. Being a key player in a promotion race would be the best experience he's going to get right now.

Also Wales fans won't want this move as it would put him in direct competition with Woodburn. Very similar players.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    I don't know his contract situation, but if Sheffield United are looking good by January he should see the season out with them. Being a key player in a promotion race would be the best experience he's going to get right now.

Also Wales fans won't want this move as it would put him in direct competition with Woodburn. Very similar players.
    Woodburn plays left and Brooks plays right and they can switch sides, but I agree they are similar, they are both good!

Blue in the Face

Suppose they could end up as being able to play as wingers as they have a lot of the requirements in their lockers if not devastating pace. But they've both have been utilised centrally for the main when I've seen them, though I've only seen Brooks play about five times. They look like roaming no.10s / attacking mids at the mo, though they could both evolve.

If Brooks went to Liverpool, both he and Woodburn would hurt each other's scarce chances for the first team as you could chuck them both in the same positions. Klopp has a preference for not loaning out youth players which is admirable to a point. But he takes this ideal too far sometimes like by not letting Danny Ward go to Huddersfield on loan this season which would have been amazing for his development.

He should see the season out with them full stop. He's 20, so he needs to be playing every week.

Brooks has only made 3 starts for Sheffield Utd. He's 5' 5". I think he has a long way to go before we know if he's the real deal.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Brooks has only made 3 starts for Sheffield Utd. He's 5' 5". I think he has a long way to go before we know if he's the real deal.
    It all depends on the Liverpool scouts and coaching staff, and apparently they have recommended him to the manager. What we think of him is immaterial. He was awarded best player at the u20 international tournament in France during the summer, and is already winning Man of the Match awards, so he must have something.

BTW Messi is 5' 6"

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    BTW Messi is 5' 6"
    Speaking personally, I would dearly love an extra inch!!!!

BTW Messi is 5' 6"
    So he's only one inch worse than Messi?

Blue in the Face

He's taller than 5'5" mate. I'm sure you've fact checked that but a lot of the sources online are dodgy with stuff like this. I'm pretty sure he's the real deal, but then some players do blossom early for sure. Ideally the Blades keep him for as long as possible.

... Or he comes to Cardiff.

He's taller than 5'5" mate. I'm sure you've fact checked that but a lot of the sources online are dodgy with stuff like this. I'm pretty sure he's the real deal, but then some players do blossom early for sure. Ideally the Blades keep him for as long as possible.

... Or he comes to Cardiff.
    I wouldn't say he's blossomed early, Man City kicked him out of their academy when he was 17! He looks like a top player though.

https://tinyurl.com/y8z4gn46 He's about 5'9/10. He needs to play as many games as possible this season though.

Almost as good as Mats Daehli's video.

Almost as good as Mats Daehli's video.
    Brooks has potential, some of those passes he picked out are very good. His performance against Sheffield Wednesday in only his second start was positive, so I wouldn't say it's all hype and no product. Obviously he has to keep on doing it, but it he does and he also keeps on improving he will be a great acquisition for Wales going forward, along with the other young players who are coming through.

Daehli was a good player technically, but I don't think Cardiff was the right club for him though.

I really like this player and he has been on my radar for six months. I must pull you up on the "devastating pace" comment. He may look quick in The Championship and with U20s but he will not at international level full honours nor at Premier League. That is one reason Man City let him go. One, sheer competition and two, lack of outright pace.

That said, he possesses great vision, awareness and final pass. Quick feet over five yards with a bit of acceleration. His beating of a player looks Koumas-esque or a lower grade Arjen Robben, in that he uses Coerver method techniques such as the drop of shoulder, disguises and other ankle techniques that trick the defender into being off balance. He is also a decent finisher given the chance. I think he will make it and fit into the Welsh team easily.

As for his role he will be deployed in an advanced central role or out wide cutting in, a la Robben, Koumas or Coutinho, where his threading of balls into the box wil cause mayhem, or where he can shoot from inside. If it the new blistering player coming through you.re after that will be Harry Wilson at Liverpool - Brooks on steroids and goals for fun. That lad is another big one coming through.

Happy days.

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
    ... I must pull you up on the "devastating pace" comment. He may look quick in The Championship and with U20s but he will not at international level full honours nor at Premier League. That is one reason Man City let him go. One, sheer competition and two, lack of outright pace.
    I used the words "devastating pace" so I think you're replying to me here? Maybe I worded it badly but what I'm saying is neither Brooks nor Woodburn have devastating pace, which is one reason I argue that they'll be central players over being wingers. I've seen a lot of Woodburn now and he has always looked more at home in the middle anyway. Both look like they'll be types you can chuck anywhere and they'll do OK. But if they are going to make it as premier league regulars, my hunch at the moment is they'll both need to be somewhere central-ish.

Not saying either will be as good here, but I wonder if either one might develop positionally like Paul Scholes did. Who broke onto the scene as more of an attacking player than he ended up being. Klopp experimented with Woodburn in preseason in deep midfield roles and waxed lyrical about his ability to play there. We'll see.

All these two need over the next couple of years is to play.

Blue in the Face

"Ben Woodburn is so good, I don't even know his best position!" - Danny Ward

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport...-even-13727870