+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Non League stuff

Non League stuff

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/...l-league/table

What happens to the teams finishing 6th and 7th? They have been "perforated" on the BBC site, so does anyone know?

Torquay on their way to Division 6!

Some teams already in Division 6 - York City, Bradford PA (formerly in the football league), Stockport County (I think they've been reformed), Darlington (definitely have been reformed), Kidderminster Harriers, Southport (another ex league club) and Boston (again, ex league but reformed. Seemed a dodgy club back in their league days). Gainsborough Trinity also played in the League, if I am not mistaken.

Division 7 (Southern League) has Hereford (getting crowds that are higher than back in their league days), Kettering and Merthyr. Merthyr have 19 points from 10 games (good going) but find themselves 5th having played a game more than their rivals. Not too confident they can make the play-offs this season, they lost 7-2 in some cup competition this evening, against a team I recognise as being strugglers in the division below Merthyr. Merthyr are also out of the FA Cup. They are away to table toppers Kettering on Saturday, then at home to Slough on Tuesday night. Slough are in the top 6.

Re: Non League stuff

I see that Merthyr fielded their complete development side last night, which hopefully accounts for the drubbing. The attendance at the game was ............ 48.

In the league it looks like Merthyr had a slow start but seem to be going up through the gears slowly. It's a long season so fingers crossed they will continue to improve and be in the mix come next April.

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post

What happens to the teams finishing 6th and 7th? They have been "perforated" on the BBC site, so does anyone know?

Some teams already in Division 6 - York City, Bradford PA (formerly in the football league), Stockport County (I think they've been reformed), Darlington (definitely have been reformed), Kidderminster Harriers, Southport (another ex league club) and Boston (again, ex league but reformed. Seemed a dodgy club back in their league days). Gainsborough Trinity also played in the League, if I am not mistaken.

Division 7 (Southern League) has Hereford (getting crowds that are higher than back in their league days), Kettering and Merthyr. Merthyr have 19 points from 10 games (good going) but find themselves 5th having played a game more than their rivals. Not too confident they can make the play-offs this season, they lost 7-2 in some cup competition this evening, against a team I recognise as being strugglers in the division below Merthyr. Merthyr are also out of the FA Cup. They are away to table toppers Kettering on Saturday, then at home to Slough on Tuesday night. Slough are in the top 6.
    They have perforated the table in the wrong place. 4th to 7th go into a play-off "quarter final" with the winners playing a semi-final (away) to the 2nd and 3rd placed teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post

Yes, I wondered about the perforated bit. Seems a bit strange?

Isn't it about time there were three promoted from the National League? Let's hope Wrexham can get back into the football league for next season. It will be good for Welsh football to have four teams back in there.

Hereford are getting the big crowds as they are on the up after years and years of being in the doldrums, and being owned by dodgy chairmen. I think they are owned by their supporters thse days? They get bigger gates on occasions than some teams in League 1.

Would love to see Hereford and Merthyr promoted, and then both get into the National League. Hereford was always one of my favourite trips back in the day

They'll be a additional division 7 next year.

Currently- it goes National (5), National North / South (6), North, South & Isthmian (7, also known as tier 3).

From next season there will be a new Midlands division (run by the Southern League) with will result in mass promotion & restructuring at that level & below. Merthyr & Hereford (unless promoted) will probably face a shuffle into the Midland division.

It does make sense as it's currently 3 into 2 into 1.

It will be 4 > 2 >1.

As a side comment, I've already attended 4 rounds of the FA Cup this season. Next round, Qualifying 4, following the winner of previous match Hampton & Richmond v Truro, will I get tickets all the way to Wembley ?