+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Declan John

Declan John

Dec seems to have made a goodish impression at Rangers. On his way to a permanent contract, maybe?

I was interested to read some of the manager's comments on his lack of coaching in the past. I can't believe it is true (especially with Malky's team) but something wasn't right about his attempts to establish himself as a left back:

https://rangers.co.uk/news/headlines...es-us-options/

PEDRO CAIXINHA believes Declan John can be a great asset for Rangers this season with the on-loan Cardiff winger able to play in several positions on the left side of the pitch.

John slotted in at left-back for the injured Lee Wallace at the SuperSeal Stadium and was a constant threat as the Light Blues secured three valuable Premiership points.

The manager, speaking exclusively to RangersTV, said: “Declan is a player that was never coached how to play as a left back, so he did it a couple of times with us and he did it very well, because we are a team that likes to attack and likes to have the full-backs go up and attack, so he can give us that.

“We will try to coach him a little bit more now, not only to defend the wide area but the relation with the winger in front of him, the midfielder on his side and also the centre-half from his side.

“He can provide us with those sort of approaches on the game and even for example if in one special game, at any stage of the game, we need to play with three on the back, he can be the one that is full-back and winger at the same time.

"So we have players that can perform and give us some different characteristics and some different options depending on the problems or the solutions you might need to look for in the game.

“Declan is growing in that position, now we need to coach him how to defend in that position because, as you see, getting in attack and being involved by the overlaps or underlaps or getting on the box, crosses delivered and even scoring goals, he’s doing it.

“Now we need to work on the other parts to have a balanced player as well.”

Re: Declan John

Interesting article, Pedro Caixinha is a bit odd though. John has been playing as a left back for 3+ years and he still can't defend. That's not just down to coaching (which he has had).

Thinly veiled "I am good at my job and it is down to me that he is doing well"...
    More likely to be that he has found his level.

Anyway one swallow a summer does not make, plenty of games left.
    That said I hope he continues to prosper, albeit at a lower level as it will be good for his confidence.

Its all about systems, Some players may need positional played spelt out to them have intense meetings with the manager to tell him what he needs or wants, and then would improve over time with this approach. Some clubs may then think, i've got a continuous chain of kids coming through the system, and some of these do not need that specific level of personal attention, I'll focus on them.

The player you have let go, may go away and improve in a different environment. That is football really.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Interesting article, Pedro Caixinha is a bit odd though. John has been playing as a left back for 3+ years and he still can't defend. That's not just down to coaching (which he has had).
    It would only make sense if Cardiff were never able to produce left backs. John is in a league that is unlikely to test him quite as much defensively, especially playing with one of the big clubs. John was never good enough defensively, and that wasn't down to coaching.

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    It would only make sense if Cardiff were never able to produce left backs. John is in a league that is unlikely to test him quite as much defensively, especially playing with one of the big clubs. John was never good enough defensively, and that wasn't down to coaching.
    THIS

I feel really bad for the boy. He's as a fit as a fiddle but seems as though he has been misguided.

I'd love him to be 2-3 years younger and still be at the club now.

He wouldn't be a starter, but would definitely be able to fight from the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    I feel really bad for the boy. He's as a fit as a fiddle but seems as though he has been misguided.

He had his chances. Sometimes you just need the boost that a change will bring to
    push your career on. Good luck to him.

SPL is just a one team league though.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post

He's had 3/4 years as full back, and he still looks lost. Mackay, OGS, Slade, Trollope and Warnock have all had a look and tried to make him a player and have failed. Let's move on. Good luck to him though.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    He's had 3/4 years as full back, and he still looks lost. Mackay, OGS, Slade, Trollope and Warnock have all had a look and tried to make him a player and have failed. Let's move on. Good luck to him though.
    You've mentioned a number of managers there but not that it must have hindered young players to have such different approaches over a short period of time. Not to mention that he was left-back then left-wing and back again. It's perhaps true that he is the only now feeling settled.

Or maybe he's found a good level for him. Who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    You've mentioned a number of managers there but not that it must have hindered young players to have such different approaches over a short period of time. Not to mention that he was left-back then left-wing and back again. It's perhaps true that he is the only now feeling settled.

Please lets just accept he was tried , measured and found wanting and stop making excuses for him.

Wow, he was being ridiculed up there the other week, he gets a couple against Hamilton Academicals, Hamilton Acafriggingdemicals and he's the new Roberto Carlos. Strange!!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWales View Post
    Please lets just accept he was tried , measured and found wanting and stop making excuses for him.
    He was tried and found wanting? He's 22. We need a player like Declan to step up for Cardiff and Wales so why write him off?

He was tried and found wanting? He's 22. We need a player like Declan to step up for Cardiff and Wales so why write him off?
    He played for us, wasn't up to it either at left wing or left back, Given Warnock could motivate the dead to rise, if John couldn't get into the squad then quite frankly he's not up to it.

Went on loan a couple of times to lower league clubs, failed to cut the mustard there. Goals two goals in a pub league and suddenly he's Roberto Carlos?

So, write him off based upon performances or big him up despite all evidence to the contrary because he's errm Welsh?

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    He played for us, wasn't up to it either at left wing or left back, Given Warnock could motivate the dead to rise, if John couldn't get into the squad then quite frankly he's not up to it.

Went on loan a couple of times to lower league clubs, failed to cut the mustard there. Goals two goals in a pub league and suddenly he's Roberto Carlos?

So, write him off based upon performances or big him up despite all evidence to the contrary because he's errm Welsh?
    Where has this Roberto Carlos thing come from? Don't big him up, he still needs to step up just to stay at championship level let alone the premier league player we want him to be, but you could try supporting the young Welsh, Cardiff city player.

He's played 52 times for us, he's probably had a handful of good games. His positional play is awful. He's only been a winger again under Warnock who said he'd never make it as he can't defend.