+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Qualification update - mixed results

Qualification update - mixed results

Group C - Northern Ireland's defeat means they are stuck on 19 points with a potentially tricky trip to Norway to come.

Group E - Poland need a point against Montenegro, who are all but eliminated. Denmark likely to beat Romania on Sunday. Runner up probably going to have 22 points. Should Poland lose to Montenegro and Denmark beat Romania, Poland finish 2nd and have dropped points against the bottom team, so they would also be uncatchable.

Group F - With Slovakia playing Malta next, Slovenia are all but eliminated. If Scotland win in Slovenia they finish 2nd with 20 points. If they don't, Slovakia finish 2nd with 18 points.

As things stand (my prediction/maximum possible points):

Group A - 19/22
    Group B - 27/27
    Group C - 20/22
    Group E - 22/22
    Group F - 18/20
    Group G - 25/25
    Group H - 17/20
    Group I - 19/22

Re: Qualification update - mixed results

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Group C - Northern Ireland's defeat means they are stuck on 19 points with a potentially tricky trip to Norway to come.

Group E - Poland need a point against Montenegro, who are all but eliminated. Denmark likely to beat Romania on Sunday. Runner up probably going to have 22 points. Should Poland lose to Montenegro and Denmark beat Romania, Poland finish 2nd and have dropped points against the bottom team, so they would also be uncatchable.

Group F - With Slovakia playing Malta next, Slovenia are all but eliminated. If Scotland win in Slovenia they finish 2nd with 20 points. If they don't, Slovakia finish 2nd with 18 points.

Group A - 19/22
    Group B - 27/27
    Group C - 20/22
    Group E - 22/22
    Group F - 18/20
    Group G - 25/25
    Group H - 17/20
    Group I - 19/22
    Scotland’s goal difference is poor so if we do get to twenty points then we will be fine.

Is that with the points deducted for playing the bottom teams

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    Is that with the points deducted for playing the bottom teams
    No, but I can't see that being an issue. Only France and Poland have dropped points against the bottom team in their group. Poland look certain to win their group, I'd expect France to come good and win their group as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Scotland’s goal difference is poor so if we do get to twenty points then we will be fine.
    I have a sneaky suspicion that we could even afford a draw, but that would be chancing it!

Group A - 19/22
    Group B - 27/27
    Group C - 20/22
    Group E - 22/22
    Group F - 18/20
    Group G - 25/25
    Group H - 17/20
    Group I - 19/22
    It's not certain who's finishing bottom of group A yet. Can that have an impact on the potential points total for 2nd place. I haven't checked but you have to deduct the points gained off the bottom team from the 2nd teams points. If someone has dropped points against a bottom team that increases their chances as they'll have less points deducted (I think)

I have a sneaky suspicion that we could even afford a draw, but that would be chancing it!
    I would have been hopeful if Slovenia had held on for a draw tonight. Think they will be flat when they play the Scots.

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    It's not certain who's finishing bottom of group A yet. Can that have an impact on the potential points total for 2nd place.
    Correct. Both Belarus and Luxembourg have 5 points each. However, France have drawn 0-0 with both. Sweden and Holland have beaten both so far - Sweden and Holland play Luxembourg and Belarus respectively on Saturday, but I'd be amazed if either slip up. They both need to win.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    I would have been hopeful if Slovenia had held on for a draw tonight. Think they will be flat when they play the Scots.
    That was my concern, too, but I'm not certain Scotland can beat them. Slovenia are a good defensive unit.