+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Generous people of Cardiff

Re: Generous people of Cardiff

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Fully agree with all of this.

I think there's lots that could be done. One example is that many older people consider that by paying their taxes and stamp over many years that they have some entitlement to some of it back (in terms of things like winter heating allowance, free bus pass etc etc). Plenty of pensioners don't need this money and it could be better spent, but no government is ever likely to piss off pensioners and lose their vote.

One thing that annoys me is when people are labelled as benefit scroungers, wanting something for nothing etc. In the vast majority of cases, these labels are inaccurate, but it's easy to target people like that. Similarly, lots of people have no idea when it comes to disability. I'm not saying that there aren't people who cheat the system, but instances of this are far lower than most believe.
    Bee mate I would go further and suggest big business goes further in cheating the treasury than every wag trying to pull a fast one all together since for ever the first dodgy claim was lodged. People with a disability have had a pretty shit time under this government. Lazily outsourcing the job to outside interests to conduct half arsed assessments across the board. Making business out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    I went to the bakery where I get my lunch from late a few weeks ago and they didn't have what I wanted there.
    The lady at the counter said 'it's OK I'll make you whatever you want'.
    'So what happens to this stuff that's left over' I asked

'It all gets thrown out, piles of it every night'

I chose something that was already there, but walked off feeling sick about all the waste.

I'm sure they aren't the only ones.

Surely something could be done by a charity to redistribute this ?
    Think that a few big supermarkets are having a go at this. I'm pretty sure there was something going on in Brazil that got picked by the World Cup interest where by left over food was collected, cooked by trainee chef's supervised by some Pro ones and then served to people living on the streets.What a wonderful thing. Like Jamie Oliver but with out the massive profit. No diss cause he is trying to do something. Community efforts are massive. I don't think all the burden should be on the state at all. I don't think it ever really has been with the amount of care provided to ill and sick people within family's that could otherwise be dumped on the state. Family's get by don't they, best as they can. I don't think for a single second that everybody who could have claimed a benefit has, I just think the crew in charge we got now hasn't doesn't get the balance even half right.

Quote Originally Posted by joecity View Post
    I can't see why else they would grow. I take the point about analyzing hard economic data. I will look into it more. Thanks mate.
    Supply side.. more people putting the effort in to setting them up and donating in to them.

People using them because they are there.

Supply side.. more people putting the effort in to setting them up and donating in to them.

People using them because they are there.
    I was thinking of that before mate. Wondering why this should be.I don't see them as a market force in that way. You need to be referred to them as I understand by an agency involved in welfare. Not to say that some folk will try and get access to them to ease the strain who perhaps have food in the fridge. Minimal I would think. It's just tinned food and dry goods isn't it. Not like you're scoring big . Unless you and/or you're children are genuinely hungry.
    Last edited by joecity; 07-10-17 at 12:24. Reason: Typos appols mate

Blog Entries

I went to the bakery where I get my lunch from late a few weeks ago and they didn't have what I wanted there.
    The lady at the counter said 'it's OK I'll make you whatever you want'.
    'So what happens to this stuff that's left over' I asked

'It all gets thrown out, piles of it every night'

I chose something that was already there, but walked off feeling sick about all the waste.

I'm sure they aren't the only ones.

Surely something could be done by a charity to redistribute this ?
    I contacted a charity a few months back about collecting left over food from the Greggs shop my daughter worked in, she was throwing away bin bags full of food and then walking past all the homeless people on her way home from work, she would of happily taken all the food with her and shared it out but she was not allowed.
    They were meant to be opening a coffee shop ran by the homeless in Cardiff and arranging to collect food from their stores but I don't know if anything has come of it yet, he told me they have trouble getting regular reliable people to collect it all every day.

My daughter is starting work in the new Tim Hortons soon which is opening right next door, they make everything to order and are very popular apparently so I have a feeling the left over food from her old place is going to go up even more.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post
    I contacted a charity a few months back about collecting left over food from the Greggs shop my daughter worked in, she was throwing away bin bags full of food and then walking past all the homeless people on her way home from work, she would of happily taken all the food with her and shared it out but she was not allowed.
    They were meant to be opening a coffee shop ran by the homeless in Cardiff and arranging to collect food from their stores but I don't know if anything has come of it yet, he told me they have trouble getting regular reliable people to collect it all every day.

My daughter is starting work in the new Tim Hortons soon which is opening right next door, they make everything to order and are very popular apparently so I have a feeling the left over food from her old place is going to go up even more.
    They give free coffee to card holders in Waitrose. Should imagine the average customer can afford to buy one, usually a massive que of folk cup in hand waiting by the machine. They could have driven home and had 2 by the time the old guy at the front gets customer service to show him how to use it. Just seems like waste to me.

And the bounder who asks why lapsang souchong wont come out. Always one of them there.

Blog Entries

They give free coffee to card holders in Waitrose. Should imagine the average customer can afford to buy one, usually a massive que of folk cup in hand waiting by the machine. They could have driven home and had 2 by the time the old guy at the front gets customer service to show him how to use it. Just seems like waste to me.
    I can't get out of the supermarket quick enough, free coffee wouldn't keep me there I know that.

I was thinking of that before mate. Wondering why this should be.I don't see them as a market force in that way. You need to be referred to them as I understand by an agency involved in welfare. Not to say that some folk will try and get access to them to ease the strain who perhaps have food in the fridge. Minimal I would think. It's just tinned food and dry goods isn't it. Not like you're scoring big . Unless you and/or you're children are genuinely hungry.
    Looked to his up and it seems there's varying ways you can qualify.

It also appears 'some' abuse the system ( isn't there always)

A lot used by asylum seekers ( which Daily Mail thinks is awful 🙁) and often those who've had their benefits suspended.

It's nothing new though. Years ago we had soup kitchens.

I shopped for a week in Aldis ,and ate for a week for 15 quid ,not easy but attainable,your right food bank should not be there but I would like some deeper analysis on who and why folk use them , is it because of political decisions or people who have developed or had bad habits ,IE drink /drugs , those suffering form of depression / mental illness , are they immigrants that are illegals and not working,benefits folk who have out spent ,are bigger cities issue whre begging can pay off and get you buy ??

I have members of my family on the basic benefit ,which is not a lot £75 a week , rent paid , yes its tough buy incredibly the do get buy and I try to help , but they do manage to shop and eat , buy there rollies and enjoy a pack of beers , not easy as I say though.

Not judging just asking

My partner had a friend who used to be a teacher’s assistant. Thanks to this Government she is going through very hard times. She previously had breast cancer. She has been off work but her benefits have now stopped as it is believed she is fit for work. She also has a brain condition which renders it very difficult for her to work. Despite her doctor writing in with a letter making very clear she is wholly unfit to work the appeal was rejected and it is now going to a tribunal.

It is despicable and I want to make a lot of noise about this but the lady in question is a private person and wants to keep it to herself. She is not the only person being treated like this so it really is not much of a stretch to understand why there are so many more food banks in the past few years.

Looked to his up and it seems there's varying ways you can qualify.

It also appears 'some' abuse the system ( isn't there always)

A lot used by asylum seekers ( which Daily Mail thinks is awful ��) and often those who've had their benefits suspended.

It's nothing new though. Years ago we had soup kitchens.
    Ah the Mail.

We used to have lots of things, food shortages, rationing, the plague. I would hope that we could move on. I bump against any argument against this. it is right and proper to do so. Just cause it did happen doesn't mean it should in the future or the present.

Thanks for getting back mate. Pearcy is right as well there. A lot of folks who hit on the hard times won't bang the drum and stand up for themselves.

Food banks in this day n age are for the despair. Thought we agreed as a society to have safety nets.

Conversation is a good one. Good stuff.

Feedback

A reality for some folk. The food banks. Take the politics away and you are still left with the shame of it. Not the shame of people who feed themselves from them because none should be attached plus 'respectable' working folk as it were use them. The shame that in the worlds 5/6th biggest economy it should be like this. I wouldn't think its making political capital for the sake of it to highlight a problem.
    is wealth redistribution via foodbanks any different from wealth redistribution via the welfare state?

Off topic Max I used to live in Swansea. St Thomas it was alright. Is the bookies still open n the paper shop/offy. Forget the name of the pub. It weren't too bad by the river.. The chippy by it was ropy no doubt you know the one I mean. No complaints apart from that.
    I grew up on the eastside (Port tennant) Riverside chippy The Ship inn, Dockers club, i cant remember the name
    of the bozzer on Delhi street .

Feedback

I can't see why else they would grow. I take the point about analyzing hard economic data. I will look into it more. Thanks mate.
    The government making it easier to access foodbanks has contributed to the rise in their use

Quote Originally Posted by TISS View Post
    is wealth redistribution via foodbanks any different from wealth redistribution via the welfare state?
    I would say very much so. Unless you class cans of beans and boxes of value weetabix as an indicator of wealth and volunteers handing them out as the state. We could revert to a system where some work n then the ones who feel like it pop a tin of Kidney soup in the box in the supermarket for them that cant and at a push won't work I don't want to live in it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxim View Post
    I grew up on the eastside (Port tennant) Riverside chippy The Ship inn, Dockers club, i cant remember the name
    of the bozzer on Delhi street .
    The dockers mate. On the main road yeah? Good laughs to be had in there.

The dockers mate. On the main road yeah? Good laughs to be had in there.
    My mate Jeff runs the Dockers.

Scroungers spending their disability (ie lazy bastards) benefits and “carers” allowance on booze, cigs and sky tv then using food banks to put food on the table.
    Probably drive down to the food bank in their Audi Q3 mobility car.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Scroungers spending their disability (ie lazy bastards) benefits and “carers” allowance on booze, cigs and sky tv then using food banks to put food on the table.
    Probably drive down to the food bank in their Audi Q3 mobility car.
    Change you're name to J R Ewing with views like that boy.

Quote Originally Posted by TISS View Post
    The government making it easier to access foodbanks has contributed to the rise in their use
    Making access to food banks easier by making people who have lost the jobs they were doing wait ever longer for help and denying valid claims for people with disabilitie's its very hard to argue against that statement there me old mate. Completely correct
    Last edited by joecity; 07-10-17 at 17:35. Reason: every time a typo