Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
There does seem to be a breakdown in community relationships compared to a few generations ago. More isolated households, more single person homes, fewer households with grandparents living close, more short term lettings, fewer community activities that bring people together, and maybe different reactions to technology, crime, drugs and newcomers.

Then again I think some of the accounts of open door communities in the past were a bit rose tinted.

I just saw this story from the BBC about a woman (maybe murdered) who lay in her flat for 2 years before anyone investigated. Not much neighbourly concern there when she disappeared:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-41588452

Very sad.
There is no compromise these days, people are encouraged to take their arguments to court to fight it out rather than come to agreements where both parties are happy, everything is a war.

That story is sad, I'm surprised they weren't banging her door down for her council tax or something, my uncle was dead for a few days before anyone found him, he was always off on holiday so it wasn't unusual for people not to hear from him, we were told that he came in with his shopping, dumped it in the hall and went to bed (obviously feeling ill) and had a heart attack, what has always stuck in my mind was they told us that he had a big joint of beef in one his shopping bags and it was covered in maggots, now I'm left with this 'tales of the unexpected' type scene in my head of his clock ticking in his empty house and those carrier bags sitting there on the floor with flies around them trying not to think about him being upstairs for the same amount of time, grim.

Sorry to be so cheery, check on your neighbours folks