+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neighbourliness today

Neighbourliness today

A Christian ideal is to love one's neighbour as oneself but it's been said "The average Londoner knows just one neighbour. I travel a lot, and I'm always surprised by the strong sense of community in some countries. We've lost something fundamentally human, and we don't even realise it".

What set me thinking about this is that recently two close neighbours (in a road where we've lived for decades) have died, including a gent I often chatted with, and I knew nothing about it.

On the other hand folk often equate neighbourliness with nosiness and might think it's better to keep oneself to oneself.

Are we losing a sense of neighbourliness in Cardiff - and, if so, is this a good thing.

Re: Neighbourliness today

Neither of mine speak much English. Enthusiastic at nodding though. It's not a bad place to start.

Moving to estates in the late 50's/60's stopped people being neighbourly.

By having a front garden and not just a front door onto the street, because it took people away from direct contact it stopped people talking to each other, PLUS all of a sudden, from having nothing of worth, CERTAIN people became detached and snobbiness crept in.

Give me the "OLDE TERRACED" houses any day of the week. (not now mind, as there all full of ********* & students (see quote above )

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post

By having a front garden and not just a front door onto the street, because it took people away from direct contact it stopped people talking to each other, PLUS all of a sudden, from having nothing of worth, CERTAIN people became detached and snobbiness crept in.

Give me the "OLDE TERRACED" houses any day of the week. (not now mind, as there all full of ********* & students (see quote above )
    What you saying? I got a garden, Railings too.

I've lived in 3 houses in Wales, knew most of my neighbours, past and present.
    I had 3 addresses in London over 10 years,and despite trying to be neighbourly myself, only knew the names of one couple.
    If you've ever used the tube, a crowded platform can be the quietest place you can imagine.

And when i brought my soon-to-be-wife (a Londoner) to Wales for the first time, she couldn't understand how complete strangers would say hello when out for a walk.

So I think we're OK in god's country, if not in 'the smoke'.

Edit in the light of the previous posts: all my Welsh addresses were semi (one end-of-terrace) on estates, and had front and back gardens.
    My London homes were terrace.

My landlord has nearly finished it. Railings almost done.

thump.jpg

I have the opposite to this problem in my street. Several of my neighbours still leave themselves into each others houses without knocking.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    I have the opposite to this problem in my street. Several of my neighbours still leave themselves into each others houses without knocking.
    Aren't they called burglars JR?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    A Christian ideal is to love one's neighbour as oneself but it's been said "The average Londoner knows just one neighbour. I travel a lot, and I'm always surprised by the strong sense of community in some countries. We've lost something fundamentally human, and we don't even realise it".

What set me thinking about this is that recently two close neighbours (in a road where we've lived for decades) have died, including a gent I often chatted with, and I knew nothing about it.

On the other hand folk often equate neighbourliness with nosiness and might think it's better to keep oneself to oneself.

Are we losing a sense of neighbourliness in Cardiff - and, if so, is this a good thing.
    Some of us realise and have been going on about this sort of thing for ages, definitely not a good thing.

Shame about your neighbours, at least you used to talk to them though.

Quote Originally Posted by joecity View Post

There you go mate, that's Londoners for you, miserable bastards.

Well last year did knowing my neighbours from uni halls count?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
    There you go mate, that's Londoners for you, miserable bastards.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by adz-a32 View Post
    Ignore him adz, he was just digging at me.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    I've lived in 3 houses in Wales, knew most of my neighbours, past and present.
    I had 3 addresses in London over 10 years,and despite trying to be neighbourly myself, only knew the names of one couple.
    If you've ever used the tube, a crowded platform can be the quietest place you can imagine.

And when i brought my soon-to-be-wife (a Londoner) to Wales for the first time, she couldn't understand how complete strangers would say hello when out for a walk.

So I think we're OK in god's country, if not in 'the smoke'.

Edit in the light of the previous posts: all my Welsh addresses were semi (one end-of-terrace) on estates, and had front and back gardens.
    My London homes were terrace.
    I noticed the change in vibe when I come back to South Wales. In London, I only have talked to strangers on the Tube like idk prolly twice in like 2 years (apart from when drunk or giving directions)

Quote Originally Posted by adz-a32 View Post
    I noticed the change in vibe when I come back to South Wales. In London, I only have talked to strangers on the Tube like idk prolly twice in like 2 years (apart from when drunk or giving directions)
    WTF does that mean Kanye?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by joecity View Post
    Thats what the judge said when he done me for going through my neighbours knicker drawer

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    I'm amazed this still goes on. It was the most difficult thing to explain to an English wife.

Still going on when my Dad died in 2002 , amazed it still is today.

I hated it. People turn up expect tea and cake , yap for hours oblivious to the fact
    we had other things to do.

I think everybody needs good neighbours
    With a little understanding, you can find the perfect blend
    Neighbours, should be there for one another
    That's when good neighbours become good friends

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWales View Post
    I'm amazed this still goes on. It was the most difficult thing to explain to an English wife.

Still going on when my Dad died in 2002 , amazed it still is today.

I hated it. People turn up expect tea and cake , yap for hours oblivious to the fact
    we had other things to do.
    The neighbours who are in and out of each others houses every day are of fair age, and have lived in the street a very long time. My next door neighbour is 78 and she was born in the house so its only what she has always known. She does let herself into my house now and again, but not very often. She wont bother me like she would some of the older neighbours. I would nip it in the bud if she started doing it every day.

We get her birthday and Xmas presents and vice versa, ill give her lifts and pick her up some grocerys, she will pay the window cleaner for me.etc We have a good neighbourly relationship.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ian gibson View Post
    I think everybody needs good neighbours
    With a little understanding, you can find the perfect blend
    Neighbours, should be there for one another
    That's when good neighbours become good friends

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Fruit growing on our trees, my parrot Kango that i loved for 4 years, any flowers in the garden, in fact anything you leave out for more than 2 minutes is gone

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    Fruit growing on our trees, my parrot Kango that i loved for 4 years, any flowers in the garden, in fact anything you leave out for more than 2 minutes is gone
    Ingurlish please !??????

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    Are you saying someone robbed your parrot?

Ingurlish please !??????
    English*

The fact is (as they say on W1A) I speak more to my neighbours at CCS than I do at home.