+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Neighbourliness today

Re: Neighbourliness today

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    I've lived in 3 houses in Wales, knew most of my neighbours, past and present.
    I had 3 addresses in London over 10 years,and despite trying to be neighbourly myself, only knew the names of one couple.
    If you've ever used the tube, a crowded platform can be the quietest place you can imagine.

And when i brought my soon-to-be-wife (a Londoner) to Wales for the first time, she couldn't understand how complete strangers would say hello when out for a walk.

So I think we're OK in god's country, if not in 'the smoke'.

Edit in the light of the previous posts: all my Welsh addresses were semi (one end-of-terrace) on estates, and had front and back gardens.
    My London homes were terrace.
    Reminds me of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT0ay9u1gg4

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post

Haven't seen that brefore

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Ingurlish please !??????
    Quote Originally Posted by Blooburd View Post
    English*

Na, it's INGURLUND, I've heard 'um on the tele cheering

Quote Originally Posted by adz-a32 View Post
    I noticed the change in vibe when I come back to South Wales. In London, I only have talked to strangers on the Tube like idk prolly twice in like 2 years (apart from when drunk or giving directions)
    Don't forget ordering chips in the chippy there adz or buying fags in the 24 hour garage. Unless you just point at what you want and then just walk out leaving the money on the counter. I have seen that happen in all fairness.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Thats what the judge said when he done me for going through my neighbours knicker drawer
    saves doing your own washing eh though J R mate. Not condoning it mind.

Just read that Roy Keane wouldn't give Rory Mclloroy his autograph when he politely asked him when he was a nipper. What a plick. Glad I don't live next door him.

Quote Originally Posted by joecity View Post
    Don't forget ordering chips in the chippy there adz or buying fags in the 24 hour garage. Unless you just point at what you want and then just walk out leaving the money on the counter. I have seen that happen in all fairness.
    Typical conversation:
    "Wagwan bruv?"
    "Alright?"
    "Ima go for chips"
    *gets chips*
    "That'll be £2"
    *gives money*
    "Cheers"
    "Safe fam"
    *walks out*

You have managed to learn another language from you're time in Uni in London as a bonus nudge mate. How much do they charge for a fork up there if the chips are £2. Good stuff mate.

Typical conversation:
    "Wagwan bruv?"
    "Alright?"
    "Ima go for chips"
    *gets chips*
    "That'll be £2"
    *gives money*
    "Cheers"
    "Safe fam"
    *walks out*
    Valleys version:

Hiya butt
    Alright butt, what can I get you butt?
    Chip butty please butt
    *gets chips*
    Quid please butt
    *gives counterfeit pound coin*
    Nice one butt
    Cheers butt
    *goes home to give the missus a clip*

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Lecter View Post
    Valleys version:

Hiya butt
    Chip butty please butt
    *gets chips*
    Quid please butt
    Nice one butt
    Cheers butt
    Makes it up with some cold chips after?

Makes it up to her with cold chips after followed by learning her to read the news paper they came in?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Lecter View Post
    Valleys version:

Hiya butt
    'arf 'n' 'arf wiv curry please butt
    *gets chips,rice and curry*
    Quid please butt
    Nice one butt
    Cheers butt
    FYP

You have managed to learn another language from you're time in Uni in London as a bonus nudge mate. How much do they charge for a fork up there if the chips are £2. Good stuff mate.
    All of your money

All of your money
    Best I don't ask how much is a sachet of ketchup then mate. Salt n Vinegar is still included in the price though? Don't know how you do it up there mate. Good luck to you son.

Best I don't ask how much is a sachet of ketchup then mate. Salt n Vinegar is still included in the price though? Don't know how you do it up there mate. Good luck to you son.
    Okay I was being sarcastic about the "all of your money". Salt and vinegar and forks are actually included Some places include chilli sauce, some charge extra

Quote Originally Posted by ian gibson View Post
    I think everybody needs good neighbours
    With a little understanding, you can find the perfect blend
    Neighbours, should be there for one another
    That's when good neighbours become good friends
    Is that you Harold?

Okay I was being sarcastic about the "all of your money". Salt and vinegar and forks are actually included Some places include chilli sauce, some charge extra
    Ive seen what free chilli sauce can do to a person, usually ruin you're chips cause it's always one more mate.

There does seem to be a breakdown in community relationships compared to a few generations ago. More isolated households, more single person homes, fewer households with grandparents living close, more short term lettings, fewer community activities that bring people together, and maybe different reactions to technology, crime, drugs and newcomers.

Then again I think some of the accounts of open door communities in the past were a bit rose tinted.

I just saw this story from the BBC about a woman (maybe murdered) who lay in her flat for 2 years before anyone investigated. Not much neighbourly concern there when she disappeared:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-41588452

Very sad.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    There does seem to be a breakdown in community relationships compared to a few generations ago. More isolated households, more single person homes, fewer households with grandparents living close, more short term lettings, fewer community activities that bring people together, and maybe different reactions to technology, crime, drugs and newcomers.

Then again I think some of the accounts of open door communities in the past were a bit rose tinted.

I just saw this story from the BBC about a woman (maybe murdered) who lay in her flat for 2 years before anyone investigated. Not much neighbourly concern there when she disappeared:

Very sad.
    I seen this and couldn't shake it off

http://punchng.com/four-year-old-boy...omposing-body/

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    A Christian ideal is to love one's neighbour as oneself but it's been said "The average Londoner knows just one neighbour. I travel a lot, and I'm always surprised by the strong sense of community in some countries. We've lost something fundamentally human, and we don't even realise it".

What set me thinking about this is that recently two close neighbours (in a road where we've lived for decades) have died, including a gent I often chatted with, and I knew nothing about it.

On the other hand folk often equate neighbourliness with nosiness and might think it's better to keep oneself to oneself.

Are we losing a sense of neighbourliness in Cardiff - and, if so, is this a good thing.
    I have lived in my house for 26 years (we are the 2nd longest in the street), I know the names of my two next door neighbours and the three direct opposite but that it, her indoors knows them all which is prolly the reason she takes about three hour to get a pint of milk!!

Been in our house for 16 years now ( from new )

I know and speak to most of the people in the Cul-de-sac, must know 16 out of the 20 ( ish ), real good friends with next-door, been on holidays with them to Center parcs, they are coming with us for 2 weeks to disney next year, been camping 3 times this year with them ( they surf aswell ) relly does feel like a community around here

then i pop up my mums ( growing up, we knew most in the street ) and most of the houses are now rented ( i know 3 bed terraced houses are rip for investment and rentals, but this really has killed the community ) , down the end of the street is some smackhead, the community spirit has completely gone, my mum doesnt feel safe to pop down the end of the road for some chips or Chinese its all rather sad tbh

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post

Very sad.
    There is no compromise these days, people are encouraged to take their arguments to court to fight it out rather than come to agreements where both parties are happy, everything is a war.

That story is sad, I'm surprised they weren't banging her door down for her council tax or something, my uncle was dead for a few days before anyone found him, he was always off on holiday so it wasn't unusual for people not to hear from him, we were told that he came in with his shopping, dumped it in the hall and went to bed (obviously feeling ill) and had a heart attack, what has always stuck in my mind was they told us that he had a big joint of beef in one his shopping bags and it was covered in maggots, now I'm left with this 'tales of the unexpected' type scene in my head of his clock ticking in his empty house and those carrier bags sitting there on the floor with flies around them trying not to think about him being upstairs for the same amount of time, grim.

Sorry to be so cheery, check on your neighbours folks

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ainsley Harriott View Post
    Are you saying someone robbed your parrot?
    Yes I am

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    Yes I am
    And I'm really pissed off about it

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    Yes I am
    I am amazed at both the motivation, and logistics, behind that one.

How and why is a parrot any sort of target for thieves?