+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: I say cancel QATAR World Cup NOW !!!! What's your thoughts ??

I say cancel QATAR World Cup NOW !!!! What's your thoughts ??

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41522970

Should never have been given it in the first place

Re: I say cancel QATAR World Cup NOW !!!! What's your thoughts ??

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post

I totally agree with you. I believe if the European federation stated they were not going to recommend their members participate and organised a Euros champ to replace it FIFA would have done something. We do not have to go on safety grounds
    Last edited by chepstow; 06-10-17 at 09:52. Reason: Spelling

I'd LOVE it to see that corruption never wins. Well, it does sometimes, but in this case...

Will the Qataris demand that their bribe money be returned?

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Will the Qataris demand that their bribe money be returned?
    Said in jest but spot on. Blatter was the escaped goat but there are many skeletons still left in FIFA's closet and far easier to just say well it's too late to change now.

Go on Infantino, follow Nike's message, Just do it!

Apart from anything else, there are the allegations that Slavery is being used to build the stadia.

In this country, called the Modern Slavery act 2015 which means that business over a certain size, must disclose what activities they have undertaken to eliminate slavery and tafficking from it's business, including it's supply chains.

Qatar has been repeatedly warned by the United Nations to stop this practise, with the threat of sanctions unless they comply.

Clearly FIFA have no such qualms

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    Apart from anything else, there are the allegations that Slavery is being used to build the stadia.

In this country, called the Modern Slavery act 2015 which means that business over a certain size, must disclose what activities they have undertaken to eliminate slavery and tafficking from it's business, including it's supply chains.

Qatar has been repeatedly warned by the United Nations to stop this practise, with the threat of sanctions unless they comply.

Clearly FIFA have no such qualms
    People seem shocked / surprised by these " slavery " issues

Qatar isnt alone in this issue, the whole of a middle east live by this rule, the building of anything major is done by slaves, People head to Dubai for top notch luxury, guess who built the hotels, guess who do the menial jobs, yes slaves, the exact same people who work in Qatar, they arrive with the promise of XXX amount of wages, its normally 1/2 that, of course they have admin fee's to be paid back, they of course have to hand over any travel doc's / passports for admin reasons, then they realise they are slaves

^^^^^THAT^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    People seem shocked / surprised by these " slavery " issues

Qatar isnt alone in this issue, the whole of a middle east live by this rule, the building of anything major is done by slaves, People head to Dubai for top notch luxury, guess who built the hotels, guess who do the menial jobs, yes slaves, the exact same people who work in Qatar, they arrive with the promise of XXX amount of wages, its normally 1/2 that, of course they have admin fee's to be paid back, they of course have to hand over any travel doc's / passports for admin reasons, then they realise they are slaves
    Yes, and it is rampant across the whole area. Filipinos, Indians and Vietnamese often trapped there. House maids raped, and then threatened with adultery claims. It's as murky a world as any.

I won't watch any of the 2022 World Cup out of protest, but I have never believed that the tournament will go ahead, and I still don't.

That Infantino refuses to address this white elephant is a crying shame. Get the tournament moved, preferably to Australia or America. Qatar is wrong for many reasons.

I think anyone who doesn't have a financial or political stake in it, thinks it should be cancelled.

Just been on "booking .com" and it cant be canceled as its too near the date of arrival

There's a bit of me that hope it goes ahead and it turns out to be the most impractical World Cup ever. In any other walk of life - even sport - by now they would have been kicked out of FIFA..

Can't be worse than the vuvuzela cup.

Haven't we (Cardiff airport) just arranged a new deal with Qatar airlines?

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Haven't we (Cardiff airport) just arranged a new deal with Qatar airlines?
    Problem solved. Take the cup away from them, give it to Wales.

We qualify as hosts, Qatar airlines gets all the money from flights into Cardiff, everyone’s a winner.