+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could be a strange World Cup in Russia

Could be a strange World Cup in Russia

No Holland, no Argentina maybe, or Italy. No messi, will bale be there? No guarantee that Portugal will def make it either...how will Ronnie cope?

Re: Could be a strange World Cup in Russia

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    No Holland, no Argentina maybe, or Italy. No messi, will bale be there? No guarantee that Portugal will def make it either...how will Ronnie cope?
    Teams already there
    Russia
    Brazil
    Iran
    Japan
    Mexico
    Belgium
    South Korea
    Saudi Arabia
    Germany
    England
    Spain

It's England's to lose at the moment isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    Teams already there
    Russia
    Brazil
    Iran
    Japan
    Mexico
    Belgium
    South Korea
    Saudi Arabia
    Germany
    England
    Spain

Difficult to see anything but a Brazil/Germany final from that lot.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Costa Rica will qualify tonight with a draw/win against Honduras - as long as England avoid those, they'll make the last 4

As long as England avoid every team, they'll win the cup.

You have to say it will prob alt be England’s beat chance to win for quite some time.

However it will also be probably the biggest humiliation yet if they fail to get out of a group.

Faroe Islands could go third in their group today, if they beat Latvia at home. They would go up to 11 points - more than they have won in their previous three qualification campaigns added up together.

Faroe Islands could go third in their group today, if they beat Latvia at home. They would go up to 11 points - more than they have won in their previous three qualification campaigns added up together.
    This message was brought to you by the Faroe Islands Marketing Board.

Spain seem to be getting back to their best

Teams already there
    Russia
    Brazil
    Iran
    Japan
    Mexico
    Belgium
    South Korea
    Saudi Arabia
    Germany
    England
    Spain

Some shit teams there , if Iran can qualify before Argentina and Italy then the whole thing is a joke

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    Some shit teams there , if Iran can qualify before Argentina and Italy then the whole thing is a joke
    Italy are paying the price for not being a seed for qualification. They're ranked 10th of all European countries at present. A home draw against Macedonia suggests Italy aren't close to being one of the very top European nations at the moment.

They'll still probably qualify through the playoffs.

It's just a change of focus; do you want the world's best teams or the best teams from each continent? Regardless, Argentina are one of the lowest scoring nations and their attack is their strongest position so it seems to be an Argentina side out of sorts - they don't deserve to qualify on past experiences.

For me the rule about yellow cards (2 yellows in 11 games could see you missing the second play-off leg) favours the teams with the deepest talent pools. England, Germany, Spain, Brazil out of that lot have the squad to win the world cup....if they don't mess it up (again).

Totally agree. It’s not about the best teams in the world anymore, it’s the best teams from each continent, and barely even that.

Possibility that Syria can qualify even though they've got a tough task in hand going to Australia and beating them.
    Drew 1-1 in the first leg and you never know.
    I'd quite like to see them there.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    Totally agree. It’s not about the best teams in the world anymore, it’s the best teams from each continent, and barely even that.
    Don’t understand yours and others logic in this thread. At the moment Argentina and Italy aren’t 2 of the best teams.
    Should they both be allowed into the finals just on their reputations? That would make it a complete mockery lol!

Not really but South American qualifying is a tough group, the 5th place playoff is usually against oz or nz which the South Americans always win as they are much better...

Grange Quinn's might sneak in , for Qatar, I'm sure sideways football its all worthwhile .

Anyway bring on Friday, and the return of meaningful footy.

Not at all. 13 out of 54 European teams qualify, that's about one in four. If Italy and Netherlands can't get into the top 25% of Europe then they're not owed anything.

Given that Wales is traditionally nowhere near making it, I find it bizarre that Welsh people are sad that the status quo is being broken.

Negative , side and back passing ,no risk football, is stifling the world game,that's how minnows are qualifying, very talented teams and players will be missing from the world stage ,hows that entertainment

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Negative , side and back passing ,no risk football, is stifling the world game,that's how minnows are qualifying, very talented teams and players will be missing from the world stage ,hows that entertainment
    I think it's actually pretty difficult to qualify that way.

The fact that Russia is about as warm as, well, Siberia both literally and metaphorically mean it will be the strangest WC of my lifetime.

That is until the corrupt WC in 4 years time where the only thing more nerve racking than the games will be if the fans come back with both hands still attached to their body.

France Euros will live with me for my lifetime and as much as I want to say I’ve seen wales get to a WC, you couldn’t pay me to go to that ludicrous country during an event.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Don’t understand yours and others logic in this thread. At the moment Argentina and Italy aren’t 2 of the best teams.
    Should they both be allowed into the finals just on their reputations? That would make it a complete mockery lol!
    You think Saudi Arabia is better than Argentina?

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    The fact that Russia is about as warm as, well, Siberia both literally and metaphorically mean it will be the strangest WC of my lifetime.

That is until the corrupt WC in 4 years time where the only thing more nerve racking than the games will be if the fans come back with both hands still attached to their body.

France Euros will live with me for my lifetime and as much as I want to say I’ve seen wales get to a WC, you couldn’t pay me to go to that ludicrous country during an event.
    Like most arab nations, Qatar is a non-alcohol country.
    But Budweiser are a WC sponsor, so they've been told they MUST serve that beer, shite as it is.

Could be some "interesting" confrontations.

Like most arab nations, Qatar is a non-alcohol country.
    But Budweiser are a WC sponsor, so they've been told they MUST serve that beer, shite as it is.

Could be some "interesting" confrontations.
    It's more non-pub than non-alcohol. You can still drink there.

You think Saudi Arabia is better than Argentina?
    I meant 2 iof the best teams in their qualifying regions.