+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The race to avoid being the worst 2nd placed country

Re: The race to avoid being the worst 2nd placed country

Actually never mind I’ve just realised why they can 😂

Quote Originally Posted by gronovic View Post
    Can that happen, this format is spinning me out, Slovakia are playing Malta who are bottom, can’t they not overtake us as the are playing the bottom team in their group
    Yes they can because they will be on 12 points net of results against the bottom side which will be the same as us if we draw but they have a better goal difference. We have to win on Monday night.

Who the hell come up with this format lmfao, never used my brain so much in my life

Quote Originally Posted by gronovic View Post
    Who the hell come up with this format lmfao, never used my brain so much in my life
    It’s appalling.

It's Ludicrous!

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    I have a horrible feeling we will draw on Monday night and go through the entire campaign unbeaten having never been behind in any game which I suspect will be a record. Slovakia will pip us to the final play off place.
    At the same time, if we finish with only 2 wins against the other top-4 teams in the group we haven't really stamped much authority either.

This is where we are at the moment

http://www.uefa.com/european-qualifi...d=2506867.html

If we draw 0-0 and Ukraine- Croatia finishes 1-1 we would have same points, same goal difference and same goals scored as Croatia. It then goes to FairPlay , they have one red card and so do we. Then goes to yellow cards, they have had 9 , we have had 13 so we would miss out on number of yellow cards! Surely not even Wales could miss out like that, it would be as unbearable as the Bodin penalty!

WRe: The race to avoid being the worst 2nd placed country

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    If we draw 0-0 and Ukraine- Croatia finishes 1-1 we would have same points, same goal difference and same goals scored as Croatia. It then goes to FairPlay , they have one red card and so do we. Then goes to yellow cards, they have had 9 , we have had 13 so we would miss out on number of yellow cards! Surely not even Wales could miss out like that, it would be as unbearable as the Bodin penalty!
    It is absurd and could so easily have been avoided by having just eight groups either by getting rid of the minnows like Gibraltar and Kosovo or by having bigger groups.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    At the same time, if we finish with only 2 wins against the other top-4 teams in the group we haven't really stamped much authority either.
    Slovakia have lost four games in their group!

Quote Originally Posted by Igovernor View Post
    Yes, though a pity it doesn't include info about all possible 2nd placed teams as these tables never do.

Of the 4 teams on 13 points there, Denmark have a relatively easy tie (Greece still have yet to play Gibraltar and the result won't count). Sweden go to Holland and Norn Ireland go to Norway. I'd be amazed if they both won those games.

In any case, a win leapfrogs us over Greece. Other results are irrelevant. Win and we're in the playoffs. Win and Georgia does us a favour and forget the playoffs.

do the ni and scotland games today have any bearing on us?

Quote Originally Posted by lazbian View Post
    do the ni and scotland games today have any bearing on us?
    Not really.

NI have already qualified for play offs.

If Scotland win they would have more points than us should we only draw on Monday.

Should Scotland fail to win then the likelihood is Slovakia will then finish 2nd as they are home to Malta. They also have a better goal difference than us so a point in Monday would be no good.

Therefore as this group now has no bearing on our result Monday I will be supporting our Celtic brothers today.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Yes, though a pity it doesn't include info about all possible 2nd placed teams as these tables never do.

Of the 4 teams on 13 points there, Denmark have a relatively easy tie (Greece still have yet to play Gibraltar and the result won't count). Sweden go to Holland and Norn Ireland go to Norway. I'd be amazed if they both won those games.

In any case, a win leapfrogs us over Greece. Other results are irrelevant. Win and we're in the playoffs. Win and Georgia does us a favour and forget the playoffs.
    Yeah, but what if we draw?

If Slovakia draw with Malta and Scotland draw with Slovenia. Surely we will only need a draw tomorrow to get a play off place.
    Spedger

Quote Originally Posted by Sloop_Jon_Bee View Post
    If Slovakia draw with Malta and Scotland draw with Slovenia. Surely we will only need a draw tomorrow to get a play off place.
    Spedger
    Correct but difficult to see Malta getting a draw in Slovakia. That said it’s still 0-0 after half hour

so what do e need to do and what results should we look out for?

asking for a friend

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Correct but difficult to see Malta getting a draw in Slovakia. That said it’s still 0-0 after half hour
    Cheers JRH. Didn't happen anyway. Oh well, smash the Irish it is then.
    Spedger

Win and we’re definitely through to the play offs regardless of other results.

If we win and Serbia fail to beat Georgia at home then we qualify for the finals automatically. No need for POs.

If we draw we could still qualify if Ukraine v Croatia ends in a draw as long as it’s not a higher scoring draw than our game.

Wales WC 2018.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Win and we’re definitely through to the play offs regardless of other results.

If we win and Serbia fail to beat Georgia at home then we qualify for the finals automatically. No need for POs.

If we draw we could still qualify if Ukraine v Croatia ends in a draw as long as it’s not a higher scoring draw than our game.
    cheers jr, it was ****ing with my brain

Think I prefer needing to win instead of playing for a draw

Everyway I look at it a win is going to be needed for both teams. I'm worried about this one I can't see there being many goals if any, for me Ireland are probably in a better position as they have no choice but to try and win. Where we rrally should have that mindset

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    Everyway I look at it a win is going to be needed for both teams. I'm worried about this one I can't see there being many goals if any, for me Ireland are probably in a better position as they have no choice but to try and win. Where we rrally should have that mindset
    I don't think Wales have a choice, considering a draw would rely on another draw in a game where both teams need to win.