+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The race to avoid being the worst 2nd placed country

Re: The race to avoid being the worst 2nd placed country

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Win and we’re definitely through to the play offs regardless of other results.

If we win and Serbia fail to beat Georgia at home then we qualify for the finals automatically. No need for POs.

If we draw we could still qualify if Ukraine v Croatia ends in a draw as long as it’s not a higher scoring draw than our game.
    I think this is inaccurate. Croatia’s goal diff is plus 9 ours is plus 8. So if we both draw we lose out . Therefore WE HAVE TO WIN.

Quote Originally Posted by Neathblue63 View Post
    I think this is inaccurate. Croatia’s goal diff is plus 9 ours is plus 8. So if we both draw we lose out . Therefore WE HAVE TO WIN.
    Both +2.

The only way we can qualify with a draw is if Serbia lose by 2 goals, then we go through as league winners.

How is it that we are above them in the current table ATM then ??

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_F...A_Second_Round

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    Both +2.
    Am I missing something? Tables show Wales (For 13 Against 5) Croatia (For 13 Against 4)

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    How is it that we are above them in the current table ATM then ??

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_F...A_Second_Round
    Ahh. Some results are not included . Bloody complicated.

Am I missing something? Tables show Wales (For 13 Against 5) Croatia (For 13 Against 4)
    The results against the bottom side don't count.

Goals scored/conceded against bottom club in group aren't counted. We're both +2 but we're just ahead of Croatia currently on goals scored.

Keep up at the back

Win would be great but this game has draw written all over it.

I think this may be my pessimism speaking, but I can also see them putting on a wily Irish performance and getting all three points.

Another part of me thinks that if we can grab a goal or two, we might be able to fend them off.... if the away game is anything to go by. But I daren't get that hopeful. Bad karma.

I also cannot see us going gung ho in spite of the fact that the game will probably require a bit of that as a high scoring draw would be preferable.

So, do we go for it flat-out and risk getting hit on the break but also increase the chances of a high scoring draw? Or do we play it cautious which I think will increase our likelihood of winning the match, grab a goal and fend them off. The risk of this approach however would be conceding late and getting a low score draw. Which we have also been guilty of on more than one occasion this campaign.

Does anyone else feel that our defensive record doesn't tell the whole story either. I mean if you look at us over the last couple of years we have put together lots of clean sheets and have rarely conceded more than two. That said, I feel like we have been reeeeally lucky in a lot of these games and when the pressure is on I don't rest assured that we have a historically solid defensive game.

I still say we should play our game, not be overly attacking, keep shape, nick a goal and then try to keep possession and reduce their chances as much as possible. Hopefully get another goal on the break.

I have never actually done this before but I summon upon thee football gods that we can be 3-0 up by half-time and then 4-0 by full time having bamboozled them on the break. PLEASE. ..... the Irish have had their fair share of WC appearences over the years. It's our turn. Be fair.

Done.

Thank **** Divine Wright isnt giving the team talk tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    Win would be great but this game has draw written all over it.

I think this may be my pessimism speaking, but I can also see them putting on a wily Irish performance and getting all three points.

Another part of me thinks that if we can grab a goal or two, we might be able to fend them off.... if the away game is anything to go by. But I daren't get that hopeful. Bad karma.

I also cannot see us going gung ho in spite of the fact that the game will probably require a bit of that as a high scoring draw would be preferable.

So, do we go for it flat-out and risk getting hit on the break but also increase the chances of a high scoring draw? Or do we play it cautious which I think will increase our likelihood of winning the match, grab a goal and fend them off. The risk of this approach however would be conceding late and getting a low score draw. Which we have also been guilty of on more than one occasion this campaign.

Does anyone else feel that our defensive record doesn't tell the whole story either. I mean if you look at us over the last couple of years we have put together lots of clean sheets and have rarely conceded more than two. That said, I feel like we have been reeeeally lucky in a lot of these games and when the pressure is on I don't rest assured that we have a historically solid defensive game.

I still say we should play our game, not be overly attacking, keep shape, nick a goal and then try to keep possession and reduce their chances as much as possible. Hopefully get another goal on the break.

I have never actually done this before but I summon upon thee football gods that we can be 3-0 up by half-time and then 4-0 by full time having bamboozled them on the break. PLEASE. ..... the Irish have had their fair share of WC appearences over the years. It's our turn. Be fair.

Done.
    If Karma has anything to do with it, then given our terrible luck over previous crunch Qualifying games, we should finally have our chance at getting a result tomorrow and in any Play Off if required.

It is very difficult to decide whether we should go all out for the win from the off, or play a cagey game hoping to nick it. Ireland also have to go for it, so perhaps that plays into our hands?

Our defence has been spot on over the last five games now, with four clean sheets out of those and only a late one vs Serbia, so we have to maintain that solid base. We also have to bring in goals from less obvious routes, so perhaps it's time for Davies or Williams to pop up with a goal from a set piece perhaps?

I honestly don't know what to think - this is an intriguing match in so many ways. I think our recent experience and togetherness, plus said clean sheets, organisation, being at home and the potential sparkle of the new lads should just give us enough for the precious three points.

Come on Wales

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Thank **** Divine Wright isnt giving the team talk tomorrow.
    THIS ONE"S FOR BRANWEN MOTHERFUKKAS!!!!!

YOU HAVE UNLEASHED THE WRATH OF BRÂÂÂÂÂÂNNNNN!!!!

If with 10 mins to go it's 1-1 between Ukraine and Croatia and nil-nil with us, should we both sub 3 defenders for 3 forwards and play goalie-rush? No point us and Ireland both missing out .

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by Arfur Europe View Post
    ...It is very difficult to decide whether we should go all out for the win from the off, or play a cagey game hoping to nick it. Ireland also have to go for it, so perhaps that plays into our hands?...
    Think we ought to be cagey for the opening 15/20. Like you say Ireland have to go for it so we should be able to open them up which doesn't play to their strengths. The nightmare scenario for is if they score really early as it would completely change the game.

I feel pretty confident that we'll win this match. Think Allen might be the star of the show again tomorrow and looking at the complexions of the teams he's gonna have to be. The second ball in ball in between our defense and midfield is going to be a key battle ground.