+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Confused - watching Scotland at moment

Re: Confused - watching Scotland at moment

As it stands:
    Portugal. Italy, Denmark, Sweden (or Holland), N.Ireland & Greece guaranteed
    ------------------------------------------
    Slovakia 12pts +5 goals
    Wales 11pts +2 7 for
    Croatia 11pts +2 6 for
    Ukraine 11pts +1 8 for

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    As it stands:
    Portugal. Italy, Denmark, Sweden (or Holland), N.Ireland & Greece guaranteed
    ------------------------------------------
    Slovakia 12pts +5 goals
    Wales 11pts +2 7 for
    Croatia 11pts +2 6 for
    Ukraine 11pts +1 8 for
    So if we draw, its no good whatever happens with Croatia and Ukraine then. A draw or win for either team would put them above us no?

Quote Originally Posted by El Gwapo View Post
    So if we draw, its no good whatever happens with Croatia and Ukraine then. A draw or win for either team would put them above us no?
    No

We'd finish above Croatia providing they don't get a higher scoring draw. Ukraine will finish 3rd in their group if it's a draw.

A draw is fine for us as long as Croatia Ukraine draw but score less goals than us

I give up. Its beyond me ffs

2-2 we do like a bit of drama with our failure.

2 - 2 still a few mins to go

Same here :coat:

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    Slovakia 2 up, effectively game over.
    But, but, Slovakia's game and result doesn't count anyway as it's against the bottom side of the group...

Basically we're currently above Croatia so if we have the same draw result we're into the play-offs. As we have same goal difference though we're only currently ahead on goals scored, so if they have a higher scoring draw they could catch us.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    A draw is fine for us as long as Croatia Ukraine draw but score less goals than us
    a draw though would see us above Slovakia on GD

Can't see why the commentators in scotland game saying Slovakia will be in the play offs, they are most vulnerable (it seems to me)

Slovenia had a guy sent of with 2 minutes to go.

I think I'd rather we went into tomorrow night knowing we HAVE to win and that's that. It's always been that we needed to win the last four games and we have achieved three of the four, and I doubt the management and the squad will have changed in their approach.

As said above, a Georgia draw in Serbia is a very real possibility, so we could even do away with the need for a Play Off, provided we get those precious three points tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post

Can't see why the commentators in scotland game saying Slovakia will be in the play offs, they are most vulnerable (it seems to me)
    No it wouldn't Mike, Slovakia's GD is +5, ours is only +2

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post

Not so Mike. GD only applies against the teams in the group excluding the bottom placed team. On that basis if we draw then we are below Slovakia. Our only get out clause for a draw tomorrow night is a low scoring draw between Ukraine v Croatia. We certainly cannot rely on that outcome. We need to win.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    No it wouldn't Mike, Slovakia's GD is +5, ours is only +2
    I can see that now. The table shown above wasn’t lined up so misread the GD

What about Greece?

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    What about Greece?
    already got more points than Slovakia, our only hope on that front is for Gibralter to beat them & Bosnia to win

Greece have 16 points, 3 of which were against Gibraltar. So in the mini league they have 13 points no matter what?

We need to forget other teams. Only the Ukraine v Crostia game offers a slim prospect of saving us if we draw. Forget other teams. We have to win.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    Greece have 16 points, 3 of which were against Gibraltar. So in the mini league they have 13 points no matter what?
    Yep. Forget Greece

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Not so Mike. GD only applies against the teams in the group excluding the bottom placed team. On that basis if we draw then we are below Slovakia. Our only get out clause for a draw tomorrow night is a low scoring draw between Ukraine v Croatia. We certainly cannot rely on that outcome. We need to win.
    Agreed. Neither side can afford a draw, so they both have to go for it.

Fortunately for us, Ireland can't afford a draw either, so hopefully it should give us opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Yep. Forget Greece
    Technically Greece could still finish 3rd in their group and miss out all together if they draw or lose and Bosnia win. And we would finish above Bosnia in the play-off table with a any kind of draw.

However Greece have Gibralter at home so extremely unlikely they won't win and finish 2nd.

I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Technically Greece could still finish 3rd in their group and miss out all together if they draw or lose and Bosnia win. And we would finish above Bosnia in the play-off table with a any kind of draw.

However Greece have Gibralter at home so extremely unlikely they won't win and finish 2nd.

I think.
    That brings up an interesting point.

If results against the bottom side aren't counted, why do they still count when calculating 2nd place in the group? It is possible for a team to have a better record against the other teams, lose to the bottom side twice, but have a better record against teams finishing 1st, 2nd, etc than the actual runner up.

So basically this is the stupidest qualifying campaign ever