+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strachan blames 'Genetics' for their WC qualifying exit

Strachan blames 'Genetics' for their WC qualifying exit

Re: Strachan blames 'Genetics' for their WC qualifying exit

I don't know what's more mental - blaming genetics or going on to suggest that it could be "looked at"

So Scotland and Spain are proof of this theory?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiffa View Post
    I don't know what's more mental - blaming genetics or going on to suggest that it could be "looked at"
    I know what is sadder though - me running a statistical analysis on the heights of the two squads.
    Scotland mean height 182cm
    Slovenia mean height 183cm

Using the Mann Whitney Non Parametric test I can say that Gordon is talking through his backside (p=0.445).

Quote Originally Posted by rs3100 View Post
    I know what is sadder though - me running a statistical analysis on the heights of the two squads.
    Scotland mean height 182cm
    Slovenia mean height 183cm

Using the Mann Whitney Non Parametric test I can say that Gordon is talking through his backside (p=0.445).
    Projecting his own 'Small Man Syndrome' on the squad / nation?

Quote Originally Posted by Arfur Europe View Post
    More like grasping at straws.

I’d prefer to view it as karma, for when that dirty cheat Joe Jordan cheated Wales out of qualification.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I’d prefer to view it as karma, for when that dirty cheat Joe Jordan cheated Wales out of qualification.
    There is most definitely that although I was hoping we'd personally be able to serve up some long awaited qualifying Karma here (should we make the Play Offs) but football goes in cycles and we sure as hell will get our chance to right those Scotland wrongs some other time.

There is most definitely that although I was hoping we'd personally be able to serve up some long awaited qualifying Karma here (should we make the Play Offs) but football goes in cycles and we sure as hell will get our chance to right those Scotland wrongs some other time.
    I'd rather wait until after the Irish game, we have enough quality to beat them without GB, but, everyone loves the Irish!!!, lets hope the ref keeps it impartial, we've been here before a number of times and been tucked up.

I hope Strachan keeps his job . Done a half decent job with limited resources.

Brilliant.

Enjoyable to see the Scots fail again, but I may regret saying that if Wales are in the play-offs. Scotland over two legs would have been a breeze.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Agreed.

If you look at the players they've got along with the standard of football some of them are playing, they've done well to be in contention.

Taking history out of it, I’d like to see the Scots do well

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Taking history out of it, I’d like to see the Scots do well
    Same here. Putting aside them dry buttf*cking us a couple of times during Qualifying, they're ok in my book

I'm sure eugenics is always something Strachan could look into...

Quote Originally Posted by Ainsley Harriott View Post
    I'm sure eugenics is always something Strachan could look into...
    He may be onto something, England have failed to win a World Cup since 1966 on account of them still playing football as if it were 1923. That has to be genetics right?

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    He may be onto something, England have failed to win a World Cup since 1966 on account of them still playing football as if it were 1923. That has to be genetics right?
    Nature vs Nurture. I'd bet $1 it's nurture.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Not sure if pun.

Oi.

Nothin' wrong with syndromes. Some of my best friends have them.

Yeah, just imagine what Maradona (five foot five) or Messi (five foot seven) would have been like if they were, say, six foot three?

It's sad that someone like five foot six inch tall Gordon Strachan (who would be an automatic selection in the Scotland team if he were playing today) believes that Scotland didn't qualify because they weren't tall enough.

The best club side I've seen (the Barcelona of six or seven years ago) were not so good because of their size and strength, they were great because, as the history of the game shows us, at the very top level, the better footballing team tends to win no matter what sort of physical advantage their opponents may enjoy.

Can anyone come up with a player of six foot three or above who could legitimately be described as the best player on the planet at any time during their career? Being very generous, I'd suggest Gullit and Ibrahimović as possibilities, but I don't really believe it to be true of either of them.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Yeah, just imagine what Maradona (five foot five) or Messi (five foot seven) would have been like if they were, say, six foot three?

It's sad that someone like five foot six inch tall Gordon Strachan (who would be an automatic selection in the Scotland if he was playing today) believes that Scotland didn't qualify because they weren't tall enough.

The best club side I've seen (the Barcelona of six or seven years ago) were not so good because of their size and strength, they were great because, as the history of the game shows us, the better footballing team tends to win no matter what sort of physical advantage their opponents may enjoy.

Can anyone come up with a player of six foot three or above who could legitimately be described as the best player on the planet at any time during their career? Being very generous, I'd suggest Gullit and Ibrahimović as possibilities, but I don't really believe it to be true of either of them.
    John Charles?

I was a late developer and was often overlooked as a kid for bigger, stronger lads. Not that I'm still bitter like, and I don't think anybody would really take these comments seriously, but they are backward and a bit weird.

Zigic at Brum, what a player.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Not sure he was over 6-3 but John Charles?

I was a late developer and was often overlooked as a kid for bigger, stronger lads. Not that I'm still bitter like, and I don't think anybody would really take these comments seriously, but they are backward and a bit weird.
    The six foot two John Charles is the reason I said six foot three !

All of the truly great players I've seen in my life time were all of a certain height except for Ronaldo (I saw John Charles play, but he was a long way past his best when I did so, therefore I wouldn't place him in that very high level - my old man was adamant that Charles was the best player he saw mind).

I had the same experience as you when I was in primary school in that I was generally considered to be a better footballer than the bigger lads who were picked in front of me by the rugby loving teacher in charge of the school team. As I grew up and got to know more about the two sports, I consoled myself with the thought that rugby was one of those size obsessed sports where brute force and ignorance can count for more than talent in a way that just doesn't happen in football - I think that still holds true, but I'm not quite as sure about it as I used to be.

This. Some things can never be forgiven or forgotten.

I could just about forgive the handball if it weren't for his fist pump.