+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coleman out..

Coleman out..

His tactical naivety found out at last by a better manager.

Re: Coleman out..

On the bright side, when he leaves he'll probably end up the next Swansea manager after another stint of poor punditry on Sky.

Shut up you ****ing idiot

behave you twonk

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    I was surprised that Vokes didn't start. We needed his physicality against a tough Irish defence. Nothing against Robson-Kanu whatsoever, but I'd have started Hal in Georgia and Vokes tonight. Tonight was always going to be a battle and we thought we could play football through that. We failed spectacularly.

Also, I can't work out why he replaced Allen with Jonny Williams. Again, nothing against Jonniesta, but I'd have put Dave Edwards on to give us more meat in the midfield, which would have allowed Aaron Ramsey to have a more forward role. Maybe Coleman was worried about Ledley lasting 90 minutes, but we needed grit and graft tonight, more than fancy football, which the Irish kept clattering into row Z.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    What tactical naivety was that?

Was it 4 at the back? Starting with Robson-Kanu then bringing Vokes on when any space disappeared? Watching Joe Allen taken out and having to find the best midfield replacement (who would you have used?)? Bringing Woodburn on mid way through the second half?

Overall I think Coleman has become better and better tactically, and grown as a manager into the best we have had for generations. He has done with Wales what Warnock did with Cardiff. Not world class, but necessary, usually effective and very impressive.

Everything against Jonniesta.

Some have an idealised vision of how great he is whilst ignoring the fact that the reality is he's nowhere near as good as people claim. It's like those who claim Daehli was some sort of Messi like genius when with us, cognitive dissonence.

Williams is a player who had a lot of potential which he never achieved, a number of injuries which set his career back and right now loaned out from a woeful Palace squad, struggling in a poor Sunderland side. I thought we'd progressed beyond using league one level players.

In a physical battle, Williams would be as much use as taking on a platoon armed with with machine guns armed only with a sword. A sword made of balloons.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    In a physical battle, Williams would be as much use as taking on a platoon armed with with machine guns armed only with a sword. A sword made of balloons.
    Thanks for that! I've needed something to make me smile since the end of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post

Was it 4 at the back? Starting with Robson-Kanu then bringing Vokes on when any space disappeared?
    The reason the space disappeared was because they scored. We knew we needed the first goal. I think, as I said to others before the game on Sunday, that Vokes was more likely to cause problems because of his physicality. Had we got the first goal, Robson-Kanu would have been an ideal substitute to exploit gaps that Ireland would have needed to leave.

I do think Coleman has taken us as far as possible and think it's time for a fresh start he will always be remembered for France

Was it 4 at the back? Starting with Robson-Kanu then bringing Vokes on when any space disappeared? Watching Joe Allen taken out and having to find the best midfield replacement (who would you have used?)? Bringing Woodburn on mid way through the second half?

Overall I think Coleman has become better and better tactically, and grown as a manager into the best we have had for generations. He has done with Wales what Warnock did with Cardiff. Not world class, but necessary, usually effective and very impressive.
    HRK just isn't good enough at international level - or indeed at Prem level. Vokes is a better player all round. We desparately need a quality striker to emerge.
    Edwards for Allen, not Williams. Hell even Woodburn at that point may have made more sense.

Coleman may have got better but the fact is... he's never been all that. His Coventry side was woeful, hoofball that Warnock would have got upset by. John Beck would have loved it though. Let's not forget him getting a job in Cyprus, proclaiming that "no chairman in Britain wanted to play the way he wanted teams to play".

The reality is... Coleman came in, changed things from Speed, had a poor start. Started setting the side out the way Speed had and the results improved. He's had all the great work Speed did along with a golden generation of youngsters ( lacking a striker ). Put Coleman in at a Prem club now and let's see how long till he gets fired.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    The reason the space disappeared was because they scored. We knew we needed the first goal. I think, as I said to others before the game on Sunday, that Vokes was more likely to cause problems because of his physicality. Had we got the first goal, Robson-Kanu would have been an ideal substitute to exploit gaps that Ireland would have needed to leave.
    I know that's why the space disappeared. Seems to me it made more sense to start with Kanu when Ireland had to try to score (and he had a very good attempt well saved) and when there would be more chance to get in behind, and when the Irish shut up shop Vokes' powerhouse approach was needed more. All about opinions but I had no problem with Coleman's starting 11.

Ireland shut up shop from the first minute, hence made more sense to have started with Vokes.

If we'd not have conceded stupidly ( and I thought the ball went out for a throw in ), space would have opened up as Ireland had to push forward looking to score.

Ireland shut up shop from the first minute, hence made more sense to have started with Vokes.

If we'd not have conceded stupidly ( and I thought the ball went out for a throw in ), space would have opened up as Ireland had to push forward looking to score.
    Yes. We needed a battering ram, not pretty football. Whenever we tried to play that we were kicked off the park, helped by a ref who never clamped down on it, but seemed to penalise us at most opportunities in the first half.

HRK just isn't good enough at international level - or indeed at Prem level. Vokes is a better player all round. We desparately need a quality striker to emerge.
    Edwards for Allen, not Williams. Hell even Woodburn at that point may have made more sense.

Coleman may have got better but the fact is... he's never been all that. His Coventry side was woeful, hoofball that Warnock would have got upset by. John Beck would have loved it though. Let's not forget him getting a job in Cyprus, proclaiming that "no chairman in Britain wanted to play the way he wanted teams to play".

The reality is... Coleman came in, changed things from Speed, had a poor start. Started setting the side out the way Speed had and the results improved. He's had all the great work Speed did along with a golden generation of youngsters ( lacking a striker ). Put Coleman in at a Prem club now and let's see how long till he gets fired.
    My recollection was that he tried to carry on with the Gary Speed team and shape and lost a lot of games. He then decided to do things his own way and we started to get some success. Maybe I have misremembered.

Whatever, I think he has been a great manager for Wales, but his time is up and there will now be a change.

I don't buy into a lot of the 'golden generation' hype - Wales are clearly limited and lack depth - but I don't like the easy knocking that starts after a disappointing result like tonight.

Everything against Jonniesta.

Some have an idealised vision of how great he is whilst ignoring the fact that the reality is he's nowhere near as good as people claim. It's like those who claim Daehli was some sort of Messi like genius when with us, cognitive dissonence.

Williams is a player who had a lot of potential which he never achieved, a number of injuries which set his career back and right now loaned out from a woeful Palace squad, struggling in a poor Sunderland side. I thought we'd progressed beyond using league one level players.

Brilliant.

Still chuckling at that one.

I don't buy into a lot of the 'golden generation' hype - Wales are clearly limited and lack depth - but I don't like the easy knocking that starts after a disappointing result like tonight.
    Interesting that we're clearly limited when we might even still be top seeds for the next Euro qualifiers (perhaps doubtful after tonight). We're comfortably in the world's top 20 and much credit must go to Coleman for that.

Tonight we got a few things wrong, Coleman included in my opinion. That happens. It's gutting when it happens in a game like this, but ultimately that's cost us.

We are not England. We don't lose and then start to blame each other and look to get rid of this player or that.

We stand together. Analyse the game yes, but don't lose your heads. Chin up lads, we will come back stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Interesting that we're clearly limited when we might even still be top seeds for the next Euro qualifiers (perhaps doubtful after tonight). We're comfortably in the world's top 20 and much credit must go to Coleman for that.

Tonight we got a few things wrong, Coleman included in my opinion. That happens. It's gutting when it happens in a game like this, but ultimately that's cost us.
    Aren't we limited? Of course we are. We are picking from a pretty small pool of players compared to most of the teams around us in the rankings. Apart from Bale (and Allen and Ramsey as next tier players) we have a lack of depth and quality in depth offset by organisation and team spirit. Nothing wrong with that - and it can take a team a long way - but daft to pretend otherwise.

When Joe Allen went off what were the options? Williams or Edwards realistically.... or would you have brought on someone like David Brooks in that situation? Ledley has had a few games for Derby but is usually a 60-70 minute player these days. Ireland were even more limited (even without Bale) but found a way to steal the win.

I'm disappointed but still very proud of this team/squad and hopeful that we can improve in both quality and nous - and get better at qualifying for major tournaments in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Analyse the game yes
    That's what I'm doing.

Aren't we limited? Of course we are. We are picking from a pretty small pool of players compared to most of the teams around us in the rankings. Apart from Bale (and Allen and Ramsey as next tier players) we have a lack of depth and quality in depth offset by organisation and team spirit. Nothing wrong with that - and it can take a team a long way - but daft to pretend otherwise.

When Joe Allen went off what were the options? Williams or Edwards realistically.... or would you have brought on someone like David Brooks in that situation? Ledley has had a few games for Derby but is usually a 60-70 minute player these days. Ireland were even more limited (even without Bale) but found a way to steal the win.

I'm disappointed but still very proud of this team/squad and hopeful that we can improve in both quality and nous - and get better at qualifying for major tournaments in the future.
    When Allen went off Dave Edwards was the only option. Someone to win the ball in the middle and feed our creative players, not drop Ramsey deeper and nullify him. Coleman has to realise that Ramsey isn't a defensively minded midfielder. Edwards never lets Wales down, not that I'm suggesting he's Joe Allen, but we needed grit and steel. Had Ledley needed to come off late on, then Williams could have replaced Ledley when legs were tiring.

I don't see why thinking it might be better for Coleman to move is disrespectful.

He has been amazing. But we can definitely improve on certain aspects of play.

We failed in this group because we conceded late goals against Serbia and Georgia. We lost those games because we have ZERO ideas once we have got ourselves ahead. We just sit back, hold on and hope they don't score. We could easily have conceded against Moldova and Georgia as well.

A lot is made of clean sheets and being unbeaten but I feel it covers up the reality, which is, we teeter on the edge with one goal leads and I feel that in the next campaign we could fall foul of the same weaknesses if we don't address it. Also, being unbeaten is no good if all your picking up is draws. Which is what happened.

I think Coleman should go because I have seen no progression on the "sit back and hold on" philosophy. If we were able to get in someone who knows how to defend by attacking or counter-attacking we will be able to ease pressure on the back 4, limit chances, and potential create more at the other end.

I'm not saying, scrap Coleman's work, I'm saying it's time to build on his work.

I think when this team is at full strength we could do much better against some of these teams with some calculated tweaks and some ideas from an outsider.

Id love it if he stayed, but I suspect he’ll decide to go back to club management. Swansea probably

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    We are not England. We don't lose and then start to blame each other and look to get rid of this player or that.

We stand together. Analyse the game yes, but don't lose your heads. Chin up lads, we will come back stronger.
    Will we come back stronger? Not sure I will ever see Wales in a major World Cup Finals in my lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    I don't see why thinking it might be better for Coleman to move is disrespectful.

He has been amazing. But we can definitely improve on certain aspects of play.

We failed in this group because we conceded late goals against Serbia and Georgia. We lost those games because we have ZERO ideas once we have got ourselves ahead. We just sit back, hold on and hope they don't score. We could easily have conceded against Moldova and Georgia as well.

A lot is made of clean sheets and being unbeaten but I feel it covers up the reality, which is, we teeter on the edge with one goal leads and I feel that in the next campaign we could fall foul of the same weaknesses if we don't address it. Also, being unbeaten is no good if all your picking up is draws. Which is what happened.

I think Coleman should go because I have seen no progression on the "sit back and hold on" philosophy. If we were able to get in someone who knows how to defend by attacking or counter-attacking we will be able to ease pressure on the back 4, limit chances, and potential create more at the other end.

I'm not saying, scrap Coleman's work, I'm saying it's time to build on his work.

I think when this team is at full strength we could do much better against some of these teams with some calculated tweaks and some ideas from an outsider.
    We didn't lose those games. We only lost tonight. We have not done well this campaign because we've been too cautious. We should have gone out and battered them tonight from the off. Vokes is a quality if one dimensional player, he should have started today and by now we should have found a found a way to play to his strengths. It's what we needed tonight. We need to replace Ashley Williams too, he's ****ing shit.