+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Time to be realistic

Time to be realistic

Robson-Kanu - can't get much game time at West Brom
    Jonny Williams - same at Sunderland
    Ledley - been out of action this season until recently
    King - hardly been a regular at Leicester

Of tonight's starting 11, there were 5 Premier League regulars, 2 Championship regulars and another 4 (listed above) that have had little regular game time this season.

Re: Time to be realistic

I think I agree, if I have understood your point. Joining up with Wales and stepping up your game is fantastic (together we are stronger) but we also need these players to be desperate to step up at their clubs too in order to get experience at the highest level and give us a real strong squad to pick from. I want Robson kanu to be west brown's starting striker because it will help Wales.

That is the next stage is we are to become a team who qualifies far more often than not.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    I think I agree, if I have understood your point. Joining up with Wales and stepping up your game is fantastic (together we are stronger) but we also need these players to be desperate to step up at their clubs too in order to get experience at the highest level and give us a real strong squad to pick from. I want Robson kanu to be west brown's starting striker because it will help Wales.

That is the next stage is we are to become a team who qualifies far more often than not.
    Getting experience at clubs isn't just about desperation to play as things can sometimes happen that prevent players getting game time.

My thought was more that, apart from Hennessey, Ash, Ramsey, Allen and Ben Davies tonight, the remainder are hardly Premier League players. Gunter is a very good Championship full back who fits into the Wales system well. Ledley wasn't wanted by Premier League teams. Chester has been out of the top division for over a year. Neil Taylor as well, if he ever gets back in.

In some ways when you look at it like that, we've overachieved, mainly because of the talents of our very best players. Strength in depth is something we do not have. Nor strikers.

I think me may have to wait for the next crop of youngsters to come through, Woodburn was the only one who looked inventive after he came on (a bit too late).

How do you explain Iceland, a country with the population of Cardiff. Two major champs on the bounce now.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    How do you explain Iceland, a country with the population of Cardiff. Two major champs on the bounce now.
    Utterly extraordinary.

How do you explain Netherlands. No major championships twice on the bounce now?

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    It's not just that, they were unlucky to lose in the play-offs for the last world cup so nearly three tournaments in a row.

I can't explain it. I see Eric's point that we have somewhat overachieved and I desperately want to be as consistent as Iceland have been.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    It's not just that, they were unlucky to lose in the play-offs for the last world cup so nearly three tournaments in a row.

I can't explain it. I see Eric's point that we have somewhat overachieved and I desperately want to be as consistent as Iceland have been.
    They play to their strengths.

We need a focal striker. Vokes is the only one we have, yet we play with him one game, then drop him. Can't be good for consistency. We've built from the back. Now we need to look at our forward options and give our striking options game time. It can't be good for us to swap our loan striker from one who can hold the ball up to one who can't all the time. We need more strikers too.

We sometimes get controlled in the middle of the park, even with Ledley and Allen. Answers on a postcard.

There's a thin line between being brilliant and taking on all responsibility in desperation. Sometimes that happens with Bale and Ramsey.

How many PL starters domNorthern Ireland, Ireland and Iceland have? We have never properly qualified for a World Cup Finals. We should not be proud of near misses. It’s failure all the same

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    They play to their strengths.

We need a focal striker. Vokes is the only one we have, yet we play with him one game, then drop him. Can't be good for consistency. We've built from the back. Now we need to look at our forward options and give our striking options game time. It can't be good for us to swap our loan striker from one who can hold the ball up to one who can't all the time. We need more strikers too.

We sometimes get controlled in the middle of the park, even with Ledley and Allen. Answers on a postcard.

There's a thin line between being brilliant and taking on all responsibility in desperation. Sometimes that happens with Bale and Ramsey.
    Hopefully Tyler Roberts will come good in the next couple of years.