+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: We didn't lose this game tonight.

We didn't lose this game tonight.

We lost it -

here - http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/37881593

here- http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/37532639

possibly here - http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/40147354

and maybe here - http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/37424261

Add those four points on and we win the group.

Check out the line ups as well. Pretty strong I would say.

It's no coincidence that we have gone ahead in every one of these games and not managed to win a single one of them.

We are obviously great when taking the initiative. But something goes seriously wrong with our game plan and our confidence once we get that goal.

Ask yourselves how many times this campaign you've been able to enjoy a match once we have got a lead. I don't think there was a single one. Moldova at home maybe.

Why do we not counter teams ? Wouldn't it be the perfect conditions for Bale once a team stars to come onto us and gives him space at the back ? Isn't there another approach instead of just parking the bus ?

I think we might **** up again in the next qualifiers if something isn't done about it.

Re: We didn't lose this game tonight.

A highlights package of the campaign shows how many sloppy goals we have conceded and how different we are in this aspect to the euros - true. I don't think you can point to four games as points we lost out (before tonight, for me, Austria away and Serbia home were games I would change the result of) but you're right in saying that needing to win four out of four is not a good campaign and only winning three of those does not hang the disappointment on the final fixture.

Being negative about the next campaign when it's so far away though? Can't get on board with that.

A point away in Serbia is a good result. Point in Austria acceptable.

1 point out of 6 against Ireland. They get 4 - they get the play off spot.

All points count. It was there for the taking. Win a home game against a supposedly weaker team and we blew it.

I think we probably lost it because of genetics!

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    A highlights package of the campaign shows how many sloppy goals we have conceded and how different we are in this aspect to the euros - true. I don't think you can point to four games as points we lost out (before tonight, for me, Austria away and Serbia home were games I would change the result of) but you're right in saying that needing to win four out of four is not a good campaign and only winning three of those does not hang the disappointment on the final fixture.

Being negative about the next campaign when it's so far away though? Can't get on board with that.
    I agree regarding Austria and Serbia (away). They are great results on paper (and in real-life for that matter)

RE. Next campaign. I'm genuinely not being negative. I just worry that the Euros performance, loyalty to Coleman, apparent unbeatability and a number of clean sheets might blind us to what has become a consistently poor aspect of our game. Even Moldova away was excruciating to watch. Georgia also could have grabbed one.

We just seem to be unable to build on leads and I think that is something that unless we address will probably continue into the next qualifiers. There has been little in the way we played after those draws to suggest we are working on how to perform better after going ahead in a game. Despite the 3 wins.

I just think that a full strength Welsh team is capable of scoring more than one goal in a game and I don't think there is anything wrong with having those types of expectations. We have a very good first 11.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    I agree regarding Austria and Serbia (away). They are great results on paper (and in real-life for that matter)

RE. Next campaign. I'm genuinely not being negative. I just worry that the Euros performance, loyalty to Coleman, apparent unbeatability and a number of clean sheets might blind us to what has become a consistently poor aspect of our game. Even Moldova away was excruciating to watch. Georgia also could have grabbed one.

We just seem to be unable to build on leads and I think that is something that unless we address will probably continue into the next qualifiers. There has been little in the way we played after those draws to suggest we are working on how to perform better after going ahead in a game. Despite the 3 wins.

I just think that a full strength Welsh team is capable of scoring more than one goal in a game and I don't think there is anything wrong with having those types of expectations. We have a very good first 11.
    I think we have a good first 11 as long as Allen , Bale and Ramsey are fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    I think we have a good first 11 as long as Allen , Bale and Ramsey are fit.
    Do you think that taking the lead in a game would , in theory, give these three players the space and make it easier for them to be even more effective ??

Do you think that taking the lead in a game would , in theory, give these three players the space and make it easier for them to be even more effective ??
    Yes.

But Bale in particular is paid close attention. It could be that the opposition are worrying too much about us and then attack more when falling behind. We are then under more pressure.

After doing the hard work we should be doing more to see games out though.

It’s not as simple as your making out. We are not Real Madrid.

Yes.

But Bale in particular is paid close attention. It could be that the opposition are worrying too much about us and then attack more when falling behind. We are then under more pressure.

After doing the hard work we should be doing more to see games out though.

Shouldn't it be Coleman who is responsible for "seeing games through" ? He is the only one who can change that ye ?

If you asked me now whether I'd change Coleman, I'd be very very careful about changing anything. It is undeniable that the team has something special going. There is a unity and spirit that it's important to maintain. That said, I think if Coleman were capabale of tweaking something to enable us to see games through, he would have found something by now. It's not as if he doesn't have time to think about it.

I think I'd probably opt to keep Coleman but I would definitely bring in another coach or assistant manager to help him tactically.

I'm no tactician, but couldn't we counter attack more, a la Leicester City ?

I'm no tactician, but couldn't we counter attack more, a la Leicester City ?
    That relies on teams attacking us. We could have lined up 10 defenders across our own penalty area and Ireland wouldn't have committed many forward.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    It’s not as simple as your making out. We are not Real Madrid.

2 points.

How many international teams are Real Madrid ?

We are much closer to resembling Real Madird when looking for a goal. After we score we resemble a League Two team defending a goal away in an FA Cup tie at a larger club. And like I said, that was the case against Moldova and Georgia who whilst not being bad sides, are probably inferior to us.

I just feel like we are missing a trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    That relies on teams attacking us. We could have lined up 10 defenders across our own penalty area and Ireland wouldn't have committed many forward.
    I'm not talking about Ireland (maybe this is unclear in the thread title which should have read Campaign rather than Game). Ireland was a culmination of a string (game or two, possibly three) of poor results earlier on in the qualifiers and a depleted team.

Could we not have countered against Georgia and Serbia at home and away, who from memory were basically bombarding our goal going into the last 30 minutes. Again, we were even a post away from conceding late on in Moldova.

Georgia home and Serbia home both big one's for me. 4 points dropped in those two games.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I think we probably lost it because of genetics!
    You say that well Gordon of the wee men did , how come then did one of the smallest countries in the world qualify

A point away in Serbia is a good result. Point in Austria acceptable.

1 point out of 6 against Ireland. They get 4 - they get the play off spot.

All points count. It was there for the taking. Win a home game against a supposedly weaker team and we blew it.
    This.