+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What it is about crucial home games for Wales?

What it is about crucial home games for Wales?

Romania, Scotland, Russia, Ireland.....

Re: What it is about crucial home games for Wales?

I don’t think tonight hurts anywhere near as bad as Romania. That side deserved to play on the world stage.

I was only 9 in 85 but remember it being my first football disappointment. First of many supporting Wales and then later Cardiff.

I think hand on heart overall we weren’t good enough this campaign. We need an in form, 100 percent fit Bale to give ourselves a real chance but he’s been injured or carrying an injury all campaign.

In answer to the original question maybe we are better underdogs and collapse under the weight of expectation.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    I don’t think tonight hurts anywhere near as bad as Romania. That side deserved to play on the world stage.

I was only 9 in 85 but remember it being my first football disappointment. First of many supporting Wales and then later Cardiff.

I think hand on heart overall we weren’t good enough this campaign. We need an in form, 100 percent fit Bale to give ourselves a real chance but he’s been injured or carrying an injury all campaign.

In answer to the original question maybe we are better underdogs and collapse under the weight of expectation.
    I find it strange agreeing with you entirely, but I do. Romania was gut wrenching, mainly because of the missed penalty that, had it gone in, would have seen us score a hatful. Then we had a great attack and crap defence. Now we haven't had a forward line up as good since.

Weight of expectation is very true. Israel 2 years ago was different as we had games in the bag had that gone wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I find it strange agreeing with you entirely, but I do. Romania was gut wrenching, mainly because of the missed penalty that, had it gone in, would have seen us score a hatful. Then we had a great attack and crap defence. Now we haven't had a forward line up as good since.

Weight of expectation is very true. Israel 2 years ago was different as we had games in the bag had that gone wrong.
    Romania and the Blackpool play off final are the 2 games I’ve very nearly shed a tear.

Some poor little lad about 8/9 was crying his eyes out at the final whistle hugging his dad. Like so many generations before him.

Israel we were flying and team still weren’t paying us the respect we deserved.

Now we do get more respect it’s created a different problem on we find it hard to break teams down.

Yeah Romania was awful, there had been a fair bit of hype but they were a good side.
    We had some world class players in Southall, Giggs, Rush, Speed and Hughes. Arguably it was the best Wales team many of us had seen and with a lot of the players nearing the end of their careers it felt like our chance had come and gone.
    And of course there was the depressing news that the night had ended with a real tradgedy.
    Tonight is gutting but there is hope for the future.

Romania and the Blackpool play off final are the 2 games I’ve very nearly shed a tear.

Some poor little lad about 8/9 was crying his eyes out at the final whistle hugging his dad. Like so many generations before him.
    I know what my 4 year old will be like in the morning. Oddly, while I was frustrated and annoyed at the final whistle, tears didn't come into it.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    Yeah Romania was awful, there had been a fair bit of hype but they were a good side.
    We had some world class players in Southall, Giggs, Rush, Speed and Hughes. Arguably it was the best Wales team many of us had seen and with a lot of the players nearing the end of their careers it felt like our chance had come and gone.
    Tonight is gutting but there is hope for the future.
    Also let’s not forget tonight was just for a play off, not to actually make the finals.

Plus getting the major finals monkey off our back last summer makes this one a little easier to take.

We did well to take it to the last game because we looked out of it at one point.

We are mentally too weak. That was an utter bottle job tonight
    Northern Ireland, Ireland, Iceland and Scotland have all reached the World Cup finals in the past thirty odd years but we bottle it every time.
    Why did the FAW allow the Irish 10% of tickets when they only gave us 5%?
    How thick is Hennessey? In the first half he kept rolling the ball short putting the defender under pressure with the inevitable hurried back pass to him. Hennessey then had to rush his clearance. I was screaming st him to kick downfield when yet again he rolled the ball to Williams putting him in all sorts of trouble and resulting in their eventual goal. Unbelievably he did the same with Ramsey a while later which could easily have led to another goal.

We were feeble tonight against dire opponents.

Romania was gutting, but I decided to support them in 94 and they were a good team, Hagi was probably the best player in the tournament. In complete contrast to Ireland, who are dog shit. I sincerely hope they lose in the playoffs.

Just one other point. I always buy a match day programme and having waited in a very long queue to buy one discovered the programmes were all sold out. This was forty minutes before kick off. **** off to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Just one other point. I always buy a match day programme and having waited in a very long queue to buy one discovered the programmes were all sold out. This was forty minutes before kick off. **** off to that.
    If you want Pm me your address Pearcey. I’ve got one on my desk in work. We print them. You can have it.

Also let’s not forget tonight was just for a play off, not to actually make the finals.

Plus getting the major finals monkey off our back last summer makes this one a little easier to take.

We did well to take it to the last game because we looked out of it at one point.
    True. But we should’ve walked that group tbf. Not enough depth in the squad. No Bale, Rambo not performing to his best and Allen taken out effectively stopped us.
    I will never forget HRK’s and Voke’s goals in the euros, but that was then, they just aren’t good enough at this level imho but they’re the best we’ve got.

If you want Pm me your address Pearcey. I’ve got one on my desk in work. We print them. You can have it.
    Appreciate your offer. That’s kind of you. Had we won tonight I would have loved one. I’m too angry at the moment to care.

Appreciate your offer. That’s kind of you. Had we won tonight I would have loved one. I’m too angry at the moment to care.
    Im not a fan of the programme style personally. They print Welsh then the same article in English then welsh again then English. Etc
    Most dual language publications print upside down to each other so you an start from the front of whichever language you speak.

Ah, I think I know who you work for

Ah, I think I know who you work for
    Don’t go doing a Steve Day on me please

True. But we should’ve walked that group tbf. Not enough depth in the squad. No Bale, Rambo not performing to his best and Allen taken out effectively stopped us.
    I will never forget HRK’s and Voke’s goals in the euros, but that was then, they just aren’t good enough at this level imho but they’re the best we’ve got.
    There has been talk we had a hangover after the Euros. Did Iceland have a hangover too? I don’t think so. For a top seed to draw st home to the sixth seeds isn’t good enough. Why persist in playing Andy King when he isn’t good enough?
    It is another failed campaign to add to a very long list. We have never properly qualified for the World Cup Finals.
    Dear God supporting Reading and Wales I should be used to failure on every single occasion it really matters. Sick of it.

Don’t go doing a Steve Day on me please
    I wouldn’t do that to my worst enemy

Romania were good that night. I remember the fire work going off by them in the anthem.

It shit them up a tad but no more.

Cause the old Arms Park was steeper than Ninian you could see the way they ran off the ball much more easily. I sat there and watched these guys just give each other option after option. The shot that Nev dived over, the penalty, Lord. We nearly beat them despite this. Remember walking away thinking that we had been beaten by a team that could do things we couldn't when they turned it on. That although we nearly did it and it sucks that's where we need to be.

Didn't get that feeling last night. Just gutted. Onward's though.

Quote Originally Posted by joecity View Post
    Romania were good that night. I remember the fire work going off by them in the anthem.

It shit them up a tad but no more.

Cause the old Arms Park was steeper than Ninian you could see the way they ran off the ball much more easily. I sat there and watched these guys just give each other option after option. The shot that Nev dived over, the penalty, Lord. We nearly beat them despite this. Remember walking away thinking that we had been beaten by a team that could do things we couldn't when they turned it on. That although we nearly did it and it sucks that's where we need to be.

Didn't get that feeling last night. Just gutted. Onward's though.
    Further can I also add my respect to the Family who lost their Dad that night. Terrible. As mentioned there.

They're only crucial games because we didn't do enough in the previous games.

We are mentally too weak. That was an utter bottle job tonight
    Northern Ireland, Ireland, Iceland and Scotland have all reached the World Cup finals in the past thirty odd years but we bottle it every time.
    Why did the FAW allow the Irish 10% of tickets when they only gave us 5%?
    How thick is Hennessey? In the first half he kept rolling the ball short putting the defender under pressure with the inevitable hurried back pass to him. Hennessey then had to rush his clearance. I was screaming st him to kick downfield when yet again he rolled the ball to Williams putting him in all sorts of trouble and resulting in their eventual goal. Unbelievably he did the same with Ramsey a while later which could easily have led to another goal.

We were feeble tonight against dire opponents.
    It's taken me 3 days to even think about football - ignored all media and all football conversation - even watched bake off with the missus - but read this and you're spot on. We bottled it. And can someone please answer the question why were there so many bloody Irish there in our stadium. The night didn't feel right from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Worcester View Post
    It's taken me 3 days to even think about football - ignored all media and all football conversation - even watched bake off with the missus - but read this and you're spot on. We bottled it. And can someone please answer the question why were there so many bloody Irish there in our stadium. The night didn't feel right from the start.
    As soon as the Irish gave us just 5% of their ticket allocation the FAW should have kicked off big time. We should have given them 5% too. They would have made a damn sight less noise.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Worcester View Post
    Like when we played Scotland at 'home' at anfield in 77. We were supposed to be the home side and the ground was full of jocks except for one corner behind the goal.

Quote Originally Posted by ian gibson View Post
    Like when we played Scotland at 'home' at anfield in 77. We were supposed to be the home side and the ground was full of jocks except for one corner behind the goal.
    And what a night that was chaos and blood everywhere and not just us.