+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Ireland's goal last night - key points missed

Ireland's goal last night - key points missed

It was interesting watching the analysis last night on Ireland's goal. According to general analysis Welsh failure seemed to boiled down to four main points.

1. Yes we failed to break them down and that was partly a failure on our side. Agreed.

2. Credit for this must also goes to Ireland's resolute defending. I never quite understand why people complain about "parking the bus", or "defending deep". A team with inferior players is well within their rights to use all means necessary to get a result. Ireland did that. Football is about defence as well as attack, as much as it frustrated me. So yes, good defending.

3. Yes Hennessy made a mistake but that was recoverable if Williams played safe.

4. Yes Williams was also at fault. Although under undue pressure he had an opportunity to clear. Williams tried to be too cool and turned a recoverable situation into one of big pressure. Granted.

All four of the above points have been well observed. The first two were general observations of the overall game. The last two points are individual mistakes, but to my mind were not fatal. There were some technical points here that went missed.

Wind the clock on the video to 2 minutes on the link below to see what happens. When the balls is crossed into the box it became a 4 v 3 situation. That should really be bread and butter to defend if the players were correctly marked. Mc Lean's marker in midfield makes a mistake in letting his man go. But perhaps he calculated that a 4 v 3 situation in the box is safe enough, but then that requires the man letting him go to communicate to the defenders to watch Mc Lean. If Mc Lean's marker had followed him into the box from midfield (see left side of camera) instead of standing outside the box that would have made it it a 5 v 3, which is how it started at the point of losing the ball. Then look at what the the Welsh players inside the box are doing as the cross is delivered. They are staring at the crosser which is ridiculous as he is already marked. They should be concentrating on the 2 Irish players in the box, or at least positioning their body so that they are angled 50/50 so they can partly see both the ball and the runner.

So even though the 4 points commonly raised are true there was a lot more to it. It was a combination of poor man marking on the cross, poor communication between the midfielder and his defence, and poor body positioning / ball watching from the Welsh boys in the box.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wJbhaN5u9Y

Re: Ireland's goal last night - key points missed

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
    It was interesting watching the analysis last night on Ireland's goal. According to general analysis Welsh failure seemed to boiled down to four main points.

1. Yes we failed to break them down and that was partly a failure on our side. Agreed.

2. Credit for this must also goes to Ireland's resolute defending. I never quite understand why people complain about "parking the bus", or "defending deep". A team with inferior players is well within their rights to use all means necessary to get a result. Ireland did that. Football is about defence as well as attack, as much as it frustrated me. So yes, good defending.

3. Yes Hennessy made a mistake but that was recoverable if Williams played safe.

4. Yes Williams was also at fault. Although under undue pressure he had an opportunity to clear. Williams tried to be too cool and turned a recoverable situation into one of big pressure. Granted.

All four of the above points have been well observed. The first two were general observations of the overall game. The last two points are individual mistakes, but to my mind were not fatal. There were some technical points here that went missed.

Wind the clock on the video to 2 minutes on the link below to see what happens. When the balls is crossed into the box it became a 4 v 2 situation. That should really be bread and butter to defend if the players were correctly marked. Mc Lean's marker in midfield makes a mistake in letting his man go. But perhaps he calculated that a 4 v 2 situation in the box is safe enough, but then that requires the man letting him go to communicate to the defenders to watch Mc Lean. If Mc Lean's marker had followed him into the box from midfield (see left side of camera) instead of standing outside the box that would have made it it a 5 v 2, which is how it started at the point of losing the ball.

Then look at what the the Welsh players inside the box are doing as the cross is delievered. They are staring at the crosser which is ridiculous as he is already marked. They should be concentrating on the 2 Irish players in the box, or at least positioning their body so that they are angled 50/50 so they can partly see both the ball and the runner.

So even though the 4 points commonly raised are true there was a lot more to it. It was a combination of poor man marking on the cross, poor communication between the midfielder and his defence, and poor body positioning / ball watching from the Welsh boys in the box.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wJbhaN5u9Y
    Yep. I have made this comment on the Hennessey to blame thread. Four players Hennessey, Davies, Williams and whoever was marking McClean should have done a lot better. They should have been busting a gut like the Irish boys but were far too complacent.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Yep. I have made this comment on the Hennessey to blame thread. Four players Hennessey, Davies, Williams and whoever was marking McClean should have done a lot better. They should have been busting a gut like the Irish boys but were far too complacent.
    I also wonder how many of them thought the ball was going to go out for a throw and were caught napping when it didn't?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I also wonder how many of them thought the ball was going to go out for a throw and were caught napping when it didn't?
    Hendricks didn’t get caught napping. They need to review that goal time and again and vow to not let that happen again.
    I’m just very pissed about it.
    Anyway Mr half bee I shall miss your nightly play off permutation updates. Sterling work sir.

Hendricks didn’t get caught napping. They need to review that goal time and again and vow to not let that happen again.
    I’m just very pissed about it.
    Anyway Mr half bee I shall miss your nightly play off permutation updates. Sterling work sir.
    Thanks. Shame, after all that effort, it was nothing!

The next step is to try and work out what is happening with qualification for Euro 2020. There's a new Nations' League starting after the World cup and qualifying for Euro 2020 won't start until March 2019, but the Nations' League will form a part of qualification I think.....

So presumably appearances in this new competition will count as caps in a competitive tournament.

So presumably appearances in this new competition will count as caps in a competitive tournament.
    I'm imagining so.