+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Any sea fishermen out there ? Barry docks by Morrison's

Any sea fishermen out there ? Barry docks by Morrison's

Due to a crocked ankle the days of me fishing rocky ledges have gone

Anyone ever fished here ?

What's in there ?

Re: Any sea fishermen out there ? Barry docks by Morrison's

Mullet, Bass, Pollack, Brill, Conger and believe it or not Herring. I had a go twice with fly rod for bass, but nothing. Saw some kids catching herring on small feathers, which freaked me a bit. I did suggest they use them for live bait for Bass, but they were taking them to eat. A lot of people been saying last two summers have been quiet.. I got a few kilos of nice sized Mussels out of there in the summer and they made good eating. I have been told Float fishing Rag work at night catches the bass. Hope this helps Sludge.
    Spedger

Quote Originally Posted by Sloop_Jon_Bee View Post
    Mullet, Bass, Pollack, Brill, Conger and believe it or not Herring. I had a go twice with fly rod for bass, but nothing. Saw some kids catching herring on small feathers, which freaked me a bit. I did suggest they use them for live bait for Bass, but they were taking them to eat. A lot of people been saying last two summers have been quiet.. I got a few kilos of nice sized Mussels out of there in the summer and they made good eating. I have been told Float fishing Rag work at night catches the bass. Hope this helps Sludge.
    Spedger
    It does , many thanks , I have heard that conservation minded anglers will wait at the weigh ins at the echo seamasters competition and put back any fish still alive into the dock , having been to one of these weigh inns there must be congers and dogfish in there

I have had (during daylight) dogfish, ballam Wrasse, plaice, mullet, eels, gobies and pouting/whiting....the dock has a large variety of fish. Worm works best as it creates movement in the pitch black

better fishing at night, float fishing rag will get Pollack, bass and a few other varieties

Quote Originally Posted by Nicerino View Post
    I have had (during daylight) dogfish, ballam Wrasse, plaice, mullet, eels, gobies and pouting/whiting....the dock has a large variety of fish. Worm works best as it creates movement in the pitch black

better fishing at night, float fishing rag will get Pollack, bass and a few other varieties
    Are any of the little railed areas fishable ?, Is it best to go as fatr left as possible or will any of them fish ?

I was thinking of just putting a three hook flapper twenty yards out and a pulley rig with mackerel fot the dogs and conger at say fifty yards out

Is it deep ? Many snags ?

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post

far left as poss would be my choice although they can all fish along that stretch.

2nd to last jetty on left if your back is to morrisons is where the sand used to get loaded..so the bottom there is sandyish....would not bother casting out at all...just a flick out 5 yards towards the other jetty...maybe the same in the other direction. It's deep enough there and only the odd snag

at the very far left there is a hole in the fence which you can go through and get to some other decent spots...dock security will turn a blind eye..but I wouldn't go in the dark as I don't know my way .....

Quote Originally Posted by Nicerino View Post
    far left as poss would be my choice although they can all fish along that stretch.

2nd to last jetty on left if your back is to morrisons is where the sand used to get loaded..so the bottom there is sandyish....would not bother casting out at all...just a flick out 5 yards towards the other jetty...maybe the same in the other direction. It's deep enough there and only the odd snag

at the very far left there is a hole in the fence which you can go through and get to some other decent spots...dock security will turn a blind eye..but I wouldn't go in the dark as I don't know my way .....
    Many thanks , someone told me down Barry angling there are congers to twenty pound in there

quite possibly 20lb.....and then there is PERCY...you don't want to hook him !!

if you use size 4 hooks on the flapper...head hook the worm........wouldn't bother with big hooks

used to fish that area and slightly around the corner, by the steps going upto the Island ( are they still there ? ?? ) i dont know if they have built on the area now, i know my mum said they were building a Prem inn down that way ? ? ?

the lock going into the dry dock was always a good spot aswell

Wrasse, Gobi's and Ell's were always catchable, whiting aswell

Cheers guys

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    used to fish that area and slightly around the corner, by the steps going upto the Island ( are they still there ? ?? ) i dont know if they have built on the area now, i know my mum said they were building a Prem inn down that way ? ? ?

the lock going into the dry dock was always a good spot aswell

Wrasse, Gobi's and Ell's were always catchable, whiting aswell
    The steps are closed off now as it's one huge building site. Premier inn has been there few years now.

Quote Originally Posted by islandblue View Post
    The steps are closed off now as it's one huge building site. Premier inn has been there few years now.
    yea, it must have been a few years she told me about the prem inn

i guess they are building houses on the area ? ?? used to be some office building down the side of it aswell