+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: The story of the Billybanks

  1. #1

  2. #2

    Re: The story of the Billybanks

    Everyone raves about Cardiff bay but the Cardiff bay development corporation was a jobs for the Tory boys scheme

    Many people such as those in the Billy banks and the loudon square estate in the docks saw wealth and money poured into everywhere but where they lived

    Butetown is still an inner city ghetto

  3. #3

    Re: The story of the Billybanks

    Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Everyone raves about Cardiff bay but the Cardiff bay development corporation was a jobs for the Tory boys scheme

    Many people such as those in the Billy banks and the loudon square estate in the docks saw wealth and money poured into everywhere but where they lived

    Butetown is still an inner city ghetto
    My great Nan, lived at the Billy Banks, was very young and do remember going there, but cannot remember much of it.

  4. #4

    Re: The story of the Billybanks

    I worked as a Carpenter at Billy banks for a good few years for the council, it was on my " patch " ( so i got a vast % of the work on the area

    alot of the council guys would get bricks thrown at the vans, but me and my workmate were accepted after one day while we were having a few cans of " hooch " ( it was at that time when it was popular, i had got a few cases for the house from Makro for Christmas ) a few days before Christmas, me and my mate decided on a few cans while at work, one of the guys from the estate came up and asked us what we were doing, my mate told him to F off as we were having a christmas drink, of course this was " sound " in the guys eyes and for about 6 months, we were the only one's to be able to work on the estate without getting house brinks thrown at our van

    some great guys, yes alot of them had fook all, some of them had alot of stuff, usually for sale as it was nicked a few nights before

    At the end, the estate was a slum, the council had left it to rot, only the die-hards stayed, a real shame

  5. #5

    Re: The story of the Billybanks

    You used to be able to get a tidy draw over there. Can I say that? Feck it because it was a fact.

  6. #6

    Re: The story of the Billybanks

    I'm gonna do a bit of self policing here and say that my comment above related to a particular time, Late 80's and which in no way reflects on what was a fine community. Many good folks there including the one's I used to see. Shouldn't cloud the issue with half arsed gambit's of a by gone era. Thanks

  7. #7

    Re: The story of the Billybanks

    Quote Originally Posted by joecity View Post
    I'm gonna do a bit of self policing here and say that my comment above related to a particular time, Late 80's and which in no way reflects on what was a fine community. Many good folks there including the one's I used to see. Shouldn't cloud the issue with half arsed gambit's of a by gone era. Thanks
    Being from Penarth myself I feel that the Billybanks were a blot on the landscape but the residents were treated badly. The owner occupiers should all have been offered new accommodation in Penarth.

    On a side note, why did you relinquish your Sgt Pepper identity to concentrate on the slightly bizarre Joecity character? I admire the volume of your “output” if not the content.

  8. #8

    Re: The story of the Billybanks

    Mate my name is Joe. I grew up in Cadoxton in Barry. First time poster this year. Never posted before but I started n I like it. If it is bizarre then that's cause I enjoying posting and say what I like. I try not to offend and will happily take it back when I think I might have said something daft. I not trying to be anything other than what I am. If you think that I am hiding something then it don't matter and just ignore me. My intention is not to do your head in. Don't know what else to tell you. I been accused of many things but Sgt Pepper ain't too bad all things considered..

  9. #9

    Re: The story of the Billybanks

    Quote Originally Posted by joecity View Post
    Mate my name is Joe. I grew up in Cadoxton in Barry. First time poster this year. Never posted before but I started n I like it. If it is bizarre then that's cause I enjoying posting and say what I like. I try not to offend and will happily take it back when I think I might have said something daft. I not trying to be anything other than what I am. If you think that I am hiding something then it don't matter and just ignore me. My intention is not to do your head in. Don't know what else to tell you. I been accused of many things but Sgt Pepper ain't too bad all things considered..
    Sgt Pepper from the Beatles I mean. Not whoever was using the name on here. Mate I think stuff n I type it. Then I think of something else then I type that. Then I think about something someone else has typed and then I type something back to them. Then I think of something and think I probably shouldn't type that so I don't and if I have I try n explain or take it back most likely. Then I think fexk me I wished I had typed that when I think of something later on that would have been good to type. Then I think I wonder what other people are typing. And the process goes back around.

    Have I missed anything?

    No Hidden agenda. Good stuff mate

  10. #10

    Re: The story of the Billybanks

    Severn mate. Having thought some more on it don't be a latent Magnum PI type. It don't suit you cause you are no good at it in as much as you are completely wrong. I recent to this board and the concept, as to say I didn't know trolls would log in under different guises, why would you. I nearly gave up posting cause of spelling n grammar not to mention how it works manners wise. Full power though mate n take care.Took me ages to work out how to use these. This ones for you. Only with bubbles coming out of it and some manners.

  11. #11

    Re: The story of the Billybanks

    Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Everyone raves about Cardiff bay but the Cardiff bay development corporation was a jobs for the Tory boys scheme

    Many people such as those in the Billy banks and the loudon square estate in the docks saw wealth and money poured into everywhere but where they lived

    Butetown is still an inner city ghetto
    The Billybanks was an horrible place, I had a mate who used to do some council work over there - it was horrendous - they would get all sorts thrown at them, there were needles and usually after they did some work - they were soon back having to fix it again after someone had smashed it up again.

    Getting rid of the scum that lived there would have sufficed - as I'm sure there were others that lived there that were very nice.

    As for the buildings themselves - they looked like an Eastern european council house experiment that had gone very very wrong. I wonder if they still have all those problems nowadays ? , the Pilot pub is a nice eating place as well now,

  12. #12

    Re: The story of the Billybanks

    Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    The Billybanks was an horrible place, I had a mate who used to do some council work over there - it was horrendous - they would get all sorts thrown at them, there were needles and usually after they did some work - they were soon back having to fix it again after someone had smashed it up again.

    Getting rid of the scum that lived there would have sufficed - as I'm sure there were others that lived there that were very nice.

    As for the buildings themselves - they looked like an Eastern european council house experiment that had gone very very wrong. I wonder if they still have all those problems nowadays ? , the Pilot pub is a nice eating place as well now,
    And you told me off for calling Boris a nonce. Rightly so. Don't hold back there on defining some people you never met as scum there Clarkey mate. Proof of them being scum? I believe waiters in Oxford had plates thrown at them by the Bullingdon Club and they were soon back doing it again when the restaurant got new plates. Boris, Cameron, Captains of industry. Still working on the needle bit but you see my point don't you there mate.

    article-1201536-05CECED3000005DC-662_468x359.jpg

  13. #13

    Re: The story of the Billybanks

    Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    I worked as a Carpenter at Billy banks for a good few years for the council, it was on my " patch " ( so i got a vast % of the work on the area

    alot of the council guys would get bricks thrown at the vans, but me and my workmate were accepted after one day while we were having a few cans of " hooch " ( it was at that time when it was popular, i had got a few cases for the house from Makro for Christmas ) a few days before Christmas, me and my mate decided on a few cans while at work, one of the guys from the estate came up and asked us what we were doing, my mate told him to F off as we were having a christmas drink, of course this was " sound " in the guys eyes and for about 6 months, we were the only one's to be able to work on the estate without getting house brinks thrown at our van

    some great guys, yes alot of them had fook all, some of them had alot of stuff, usually for sale as it was nicked a few nights before

    At the end, the estate was a slum, the council had left it to rot, only the die-hards stayed, a real shame
    Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    The Billybanks was an horrible place, I had a mate who used to do some council work over there - it was horrendous - they would get all sorts thrown at them, there were needles and usually after they did some work - they were soon back having to fix it again after someone had smashed it up again.

    Getting rid of the scum that lived there would have sufficed - as I'm sure there were others that lived there that were very nice.

    As for the buildings themselves - they looked like an Eastern european council house experiment that had gone very very wrong. I wonder if they still have all those problems nowadays ? , the Pilot pub is a nice eating place as well now,
    i mentioned it before you, the council and radio rentals were always targeted, the council workers often used to have to have a police escort onto the site, especially as you turned left into that that side of it, I kid you not, we Painted a " White cross " ( I had a tin of white gloss in the van when i did it ) onto the top of our van, so they knew it was us

    The week Radio rentals stopped going, they had 4 vans broken into, so enough was enough

    I am afraid the Scum used to run the estate, but once you were in, you were in, we were " sound " so were in

  14. #14

    Re: The story of the Billybanks

    Quote Originally Posted by joecity View Post
    And you told me off for calling Boris a nonce. Rightly so. Don't hold back there on defining some people you never met as scum there Clarkey mate. Proof of them being scum? I believe waiters in Oxford had plates thrown at them by the Bullingdon Club and they were soon back doing it again when the restaurant got new plates. Boris, Cameron, Captains of industry. Still working on the needle bit but you see my point don't you there mate.

    article-1201536-05CECED3000005DC-662_468x359.jpg
    I said "Getting rid of the scum that lived there would have sufficed - as I'm sure there were others that lived there that were very nice."

    Like with all problem areas - it only to takes a few idiots to ruin it, or a few needle injecting addicts to cause the whole place to fall into disrepair, then add to that council workers having to fix and supply new kit after old kit had been smashed up etc, and for them to keep on doing it and getting attacked, not on - needs to be stamped out.

    Same goes for anyone who smashes up a restaurant or anywhere else. For the point of argument - if someone goes into a restaurant and smashes the place up - then pays for the damage and then goes and spends a lot of money in the restaurant - so be it (I wouldnt eat there though) BUT if someone goes into a restaurant smashes it up , doesnt pay for the food and then expects the tax payer to pay for it - then I have a big problem with that

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •