+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yet more fallout from our cock up during WC qualifying

Yet more fallout from our cock up during WC qualifying

Euro 20 qualifying will now be a lot harder as we slip into League B.

Any of those 5 (Five) leads we had which we let slip, have now had a much more dramatic consequence!

http://bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41580638

Feedback

Re: Yet more fallout from our cock up during WC qualifying

would have been good to have had a chance to go into the final 4 competition

So it is set in stone, we will 100% not be a top seed for the Euro qualifiers?.

I like this idea but that seems a bit harsh given they start in 2 years.

http://www.uefa.com/uefanationsleagu...2507364.html#/

Here's the full line up. Put your money on our group of 3 being Wales, ROI & NI

It all looks rather complicated.

The interesting bit is where it says "The overall Nations League rankings will determine the composition of the draw pots for the subsequent European qualifiers". Group B winners get promoted, so I'm guessing that means if we can win our group in League B, we'll be in a better position than if we finished bottom of a group in League A. We aren't likely to win a group in League A and gain qualification that way, so doing well in League B might be better for us in terms of seedings than doing badly in League A.

Or have I misinterpreted the whole thing?

**Football Association in over complicated system shocker**

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
    **Football Association in over complicated system shocker**
    More UEFA in over complicated system shocker, but agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    More UEFA in over complicated system shocker, but agreed!
    And FIFA don't forget.

UEFA Nations League: all you need to know

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro/news/newsid=2079553.html

This gave me a headache.

Whist the idea is decent it doesn't appear to have been done very well. Will just mean all the good teams just playing each other more often . As I see it it appears to put us at an advantage for this

One man to blame for me taxi for Jack Coleman

Please tell this is the end of International football and all the tribal crap it brings and mind numbing safety group games until the last few.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    It all looks rather complicated.

The interesting bit is where it says "The overall Nations League rankings will determine the composition of the draw pots for the subsequent European qualifiers". Group B winners get promoted, so I'm guessing that means if we can win our group in League B, we'll be in a better position than if we finished bottom of a group in League A. We aren't likely to win a group in League A and gain qualification that way, so doing well in League B might be better for us in terms of seedings than doing badly in League A.

Or have I misinterpreted the whole thing?

in the BBC article, it says that the 4 winners of league A go into a mini group to decide the winner. It doesn't say how the winners of groups B, C and D (and thus the automatic qualifiers) will be decided?

what happens if winners of A, B, C and D are all drawn in the same qualifying group? if its a group of 6 the other two would automatically qualify

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Please tell this is the end of International football and all the tribal crap it brings and mind numbing safety group games until the last few.
    I think your pc is broke.

Quote Originally Posted by Arfur Europe View Post
    Euro 20 qualifying will now be a lot harder as we slip into League B.

Any of those 5 (Five) leads we had which we let slip, have now had a much more dramatic consequence!

http://bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41580638
    How will it be harder? We might win our group in B, and therefore could win the Nations League B? It is beneficial to be as low as possible. We'd get relegated in A anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by nins27 View Post
    He's so inept we've lost 4 competitive games out of 26. We have lost 2 qualifiers in the last two campaigns. What a disgrace. We've lost to England, Portugal, Bosnia (in a game that didn't matter) and ROI.

In qualifying for 2014, we lost 6 games. In the 2012 Euro campaign, we lost 6 games. In 2010, we lost 6. In 2008, we lost 5.

Coleman is so out of his depth that all the players want him to stay and we only reached a Euro Semi Final.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    He's so inept we've lost 4 competitive games out of 26. We have lost 2 qualifiers in the last two campaigns. What a disgrace. We've lost to England, Portugal, Bosnia (in a game that didn't matter) and ROI.

In qualifying for 2014, we lost 6 games. In the 2012 Euro campaign, we lost 6 games. In 2010, we lost 6. In 2008, we lost 5.

Coleman is so out of his depth that all the players want him to stay and we only reached a Euro Semi Final.
    But what have the Romans ever done for us?

Quote Originally Posted by nins27 View Post
    From your many posts attacking Coleman it seems as if the fact he is from Swansea is 100 times more important to you than his record as Wales manager and the transformation in the team/culture that he completed after Gary Speed's start.

Coleman has his weaknesses and limitations like all managers - but in my opinion he is the best we have had in over 40 years and the attacks seem contrived and petty. I expect him to move on, but if he decides to stay (with the full backing of the FAW and the squad) I will be happy with that.

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    Whist the idea is decent it doesn't appear to have been done very well. Will just mean all the good teams just playing each other more often . As I see it it appears to put us at an advantage for this
    It seems that way doesn't it. Like it's better to be on the worst group where the opposition is easier to beat? Or is it just a way to make sure all the lesser footballing nations knock each other out?

Quote Originally Posted by TISS View Post
    in the BBC article, it says that the 4 winners of league A go into a mini group to decide the winner. It doesn't say how the winners of groups B, C and D (and thus the automatic qualifiers) will be decided?

what happens if winners of A, B, C and D are all drawn in the same qualifying group? if its a group of 6 the other two would automatically qualify
    All it says is that the winners of those groups get promoted. I'm presuming in time for the seedings for the qualifiers, otherwise there's no point.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    How will it be harder? We might win our group in B, and therefore could win the Nations League B? It is beneficial to be as low as possible. We'd get relegated in A anyway.
    I think that's the point actually. Nobody can fecking work it all out.

I had a good look at it earlier, watched their crappy animated videos and I'm still none the wiser.

Throw into all that lot, the fact that there are 13 host nations for the actual 'Final' tournament, and you have a proper dog's dinner on your hands.

I get the fact that it does away with the need for pointless Friendlies, and I understood it up to the point where they introduced Promotion and Relegation from the various groups, but then I fell into an incomprehensible abyss again

I was hoping for some clarity from Wiki, but even they seem flummoxed

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Nations_League

I'm keenly looking out for some clever dick on Twitter or suchlike, to provide an animated graphic showing how it all actually works.

I don't get it. Who the feck dreamed this pile o sh*te up. Does it mean that the top teams play each other more? I haven't read it in fairness cause it just put me off but what I did read was beyond me. Who qualifies for what and how? or does this replace friendly's so they become mandatory? Can they do that? What if you just want the lads in to feck about and play ping pong against the younger lads for a laugh and go to Portugal to train and foster some spirit? Never mind I will sift through the charts and the like n work it out.

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    Yes I'd rather be in group D

Wales will be drawn into a group of 3.
    However there will also be a separate qualification process for euro 2020.

If wales

Come 1st. They will be promoted for the next time this happens to group a.

Have a chance to compete in a 4 team tournament from teams from their league to win a chance at euro 2020 (that's if they don't qualify automatically).

Come 2nd
    stay in that same league
    If the team who has won their league has already qualified for euro 2020 play in the tournament

Come 3rd
    Get relegated to league c.
    Still have a chance to play in tournament if teams who came 1st and 2nd have already qualified.