+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Defeat better than a draw !

Defeat better than a draw !

Walking out of the stadium with a defeat we were all downcast but knew we were out.

With all of the pressure & emotion of the closing minutes, if we had equalised, the stadium would have gone mental, hopes raised and most people not realising we were already knocked out anyway as Croatia had won.

Personally, I'd rather take the 1st option rather than the 2nd, which would have an been horrendous high to low within a couple of minutes.

(Greece had already qualified as their last game was against bottom Gibralter & Slovakia had a better goal difference)

Just saying like!

Feedback

Re: Defeat better than a draw !

I don't think any of us thought a goal would have seen us through. we knew we needed to win

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Walking out of the stadium with a defeat we were all downcast but knew we were out.

With all of the pressure & emotion of the closing minutes, if we had equalised, the stadium would have gone mental, hopes raised and most people not realising we were already knocked out anyway as Croatia had won.

Personally, I'd rather take the 1st option rather than the 2nd, which would have an been horrendous high to low within a couple of minutes.

(Greece had already qualified as their last game was against bottom Gibralter & Slovakia had a better goal difference)

Just saying like!
    Agree. I've come to terms with it already. We were beaten in a match we had to win so didn't deserve it. If we'd have drawn and gone through the campaign undefeated, I'd still probably be weighing-up the what-ifs.

I'd have much preferred a draw. Would have eliminated the Irish, who in my mind, don't deserve a playoff place.

We would have stopped Ireland progressing though, and they really didn't deserve it, so I was actually hoping for an equaliser while the game was still in progress!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I'd have much preferred a draw. Would have eliminated the Irish, who in my mind, don't deserve a playoff place.
    Great minds ...

I used to like Ireland and I always supported them in tournaments, but now I hate the feckers

Though we ended up with more points than you.

You can dislike our style and commitment all you like. At the end of the day, we did it.

I'll ask you a straight forward question. We are up against Wolves in a win all promotion game. Would you accept a win by all means performance?

Quote Originally Posted by Louth View Post
    Though we ended up with more points than you.

You can dislike our style and commitment all you like. At the end of the day, we did it.

I'll ask you a straight forward question. We are up against Wolves in a win all promotion game. Would you accept a win by all means performance?
    You condone the Irish thuggery, then? That's all we need to know.

To answer your question, I'd happily accept a defensive performance and hope to pinch a win. I wouldn't accept Cardiff players intentionally elbowing, headbutting etc.

To answer your question, I'd happily accept a defensive performance and hope to pinch a win. I wouldn't accept Cardiff players intentionally elbowing, headbutting etc.
    I don't accept it was thuggery at all. My question was hypothetical.
    You could look at Ramsey's challenge (and resulting dive) and Allen's booking, if they were Irish you'd be screaming blue murder.

Allen's injury was accidental.

I haven't heard the Welsh camp complain. In fact Coleman pre game said 'it'll be like a derby' very tough.

Remember Seamus Coleman's broken leg? Taylor gets sent off and Roy Keane shakes his hand. In Dublin the game was very physical, it was expected and accepted.

I don't accept it was thuggery at all. My question was hypothetical.
    You could look at Ramsey's challenge (and resulting dive) and Allen's booking, if they were Irish you'd be screaming blue murder.

Allen's injury was accidental.

I haven't heard the Welsh camp complain. In fact Coleman pre game said 'it'll be like a derby' very tough.

Remember Seamus Coleman's broken leg? Taylor gets sent off and Roy Keane shakes his hand. In Dublin the game was very physical, it was expected and accepted.
    McClean seems to do a lot of these accidental things, poor lad must be very clumsy

I've come to terms with it already, bring on Friday back to our club come on city

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    McClean seems to do a lot of these accidental things, poor lad must be very clumsy
    What clumsy thing?
    I'd have him at the city in a heartbeat

Feedback

neither would I. if that's all they have to offer then they shouldn't be playing.

the Irish tactics were a result of them being an inferior team in all departments on the pitch. if they played defensively and won, then so be it. but it was the manner in which they played which left a poor taste in the mouth

What clumsy thing?
    I'd have him at the city in a heartbeat
    He's a bellend. I want him as far away from Cardiff as humanly possible. And that has absolutely nothing to do with his poppy stance.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    He's a bellend. I want him as far away from Cardiff as humanly possible. And that has absolutely nothing to do with his poppy stance.
    Poppy police alert

You do know he's from Derry yes?

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post

Just saying like!
    I said before the game and still think, it would have been better going into the game knowing that only a win by say 2 goals would have been good enough, Cookie went for a draw and it backfired.

Poppy police alert

I don't care about him not wearing a poppy, its his choice. I think he's a prick because he acts like a prick.

This isn't worth it. In the last 48 hours I've heard nothing but woe is me. Thuggery my ass, its only fans whining.
    The shite some of you have written about the Irish is a disgrace. Take the defeat on the chin and move on.
    Ffs its now gone to MxLean and the poppy police. By the way, something that's now being used by far right groups.
    McLean has balls to do what he has done. His parents had relativeß shot in the back on bloody Sunday.
    As I said, he's got balls, something a few of you don't.
    I'll drop into the forum in 10 years time, ill catch up on the 'we were robbed' thread.

Are you Wolves in disguise?' ;)

This isn't worth it. In the last 48 hours I've heard nothing but woe is me. Thuggery my ass, its only fans whining.
    The shite some of you have written about the Irish is a disgrace. Take the defeat on the chin and move on.
    Ffs its now gone to MxLean and the poppy police. By the way, something that's now being used by far right groups.
    McLean has balls to do what he has done. His parents had relativeß shot in the back on bloody Sunday.
    I'll drop into the forum in 10 years time, ill catch up on the 'we were robbed' thread.

I don't care about his poppy you dullard.

I do though, think he's a knob:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S6G5-4Dha0
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLsj5r9gzOE
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn1_mKsRnN8

He dives, play acts, whinges constantly, goes round kicking people and uses coward tackles. I'd respect him more if he went in for 50:50s but he doesn't, he's a coward and goes out to hurt people. He's got the opposite of balls, he's spineless.

bye

Poppy police alert

So how come he doesn't play for N.I?

Because most of the Republican /Nationalist people wouldn't dream of playing for the North. They support and identify 100% Irish only. No British passport either. Irish people are Irish, unlike ......

Because most of the Republican /Nationalist people wouldn't dream of playing for the North. They support and identify 100% Irish only. No British passport either. Irish people are Irish, unlike ......
    That ten years just flew by.

Look Pad, your team won. Congratulations. No need for you to be here anymore now though is there?

Enjoy the World Cup.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    We would have stopped Ireland progressing though, and they really didn't deserve it, so I was actually hoping for an equaliser while the game was still in progress!
    Me too, the last 10 minutes went from "a goal changes it" to the "nuclear option let's knock them out too".

Shortest flounce ever. Lasted 34 minutes.