+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 58

Thread: Kirkland and depression

  1. #1

    Kirkland and depression

    A very good interview with Chris Kirkland about his ongoing battle with depression. He had so much potential as a youngster, his career didn't hit the heights it had the potential to, and all along he has had an invisible battle. Good luck in the battle, Chris.

    Chris Kirkland: ‘I didn’t want to wake up in the morning. It just starts again’

    https://www.theguardian.com/football...sion-interview

  2. #2

    Re: Kirkland and depression

    Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    A very good interview with Chris Kirkland about his ongoing battle with depression. He had so much potential as a youngster, his career didn't hit the heights it had the potential to, and all along he has had an invisible battle. Good luck in the battle, Chris.

    Chris Kirkland: ‘I didn’t want to wake up in the morning. It just starts again’

    https://www.theguardian.com/football...sion-interview
    Good piece that. Good luck to him. Footballer's are just everyday people who are better at football than other people.

  3. #3

    Re: Kirkland and depression

    Quote Originally Posted by joecity View Post
    Good piece that. Good luck to him. Footballer's are just everyday people who are better at football than other people.
    Terrible illness , my uncle was in hospital much oh his adult life and I spent two weeks in the new psychiatric place in llandough in January

  4. #4

    Re: Kirkland and depression

    In January the stress of coping with my father's death from Alzheimer's , four years of caring for him and a family break up made me suicidal

    I first took 100 paracetamol but woke up , got myself to hospital in Bridgend and they stabilised me but I was on a mission to end my life so as soon as I was released I went home and cut my jugular with a kitchen knife , they patched me up and I was sectioned under the mental health act for two weeks

    I am still not right now but slowly getting there

    Never suffer in silence

    Hats off to Chris Kirkland

  5. #5
    Reserve
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Marshland St James Norfolk
    Posts
    344

    Re: Kirkland and depression

    Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    In January the stress of coping with my father's death from Alzheimer's , four years of caring for him and a family break up made me suicidal

    I first took 100 paracetamol but woke up , got myself to hospital in Bridgend and they stabilised me but I was on a mission to end my life so as soon as I was released I went home and cut my jugular with a kitchen knife , they patched me up and I was sectioned under the mental health act for two weeks

    I am still not right now but slowly getting there

    Never suffer in silence

    Hats off to Chris Kirkland
    Sludge all the best mate hopefully you won't need to suffer in silence, stay strong mate.

  6. #6

    Re: Kirkland and depression

    Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    In January the stress of coping with my father's death from Alzheimer's , four years of caring for him and a family break up made me suicidal

    I first took 100 paracetamol but woke up , got myself to hospital in Bridgend and they stabilised me but I was on a mission to end my life so as soon as I was released I went home and cut my jugular with a kitchen knife , they patched me up and I was sectioned under the mental health act for two weeks

    I am still not right now but slowly getting there

    Never suffer in silence

    Hats off to Chris Kirkland
    Sludge, I'm sure you have friends aplenty, but never forget that you them on here as well.


  7. #7

    Re: Kirkland and depression

    Sludge, be strong mate. Be one of the success stories.

  8. #8
    International jon1959's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Sheffield - out of Roath
    Posts
    6,785

    Re: Kirkland and depression

    You are not alone Sludge. Take care.

  9. #9

    Re: Kirkland and depression

    Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    In January the stress of coping with my father's death from Alzheimer's , four years of caring for him and a family break up made me suicidal

    I first took 100 paracetamol but woke up , got myself to hospital in Bridgend and they stabilised me but I was on a mission to end my life so as soon as I was released I went home and cut my jugular with a kitchen knife , they patched me up and I was sectioned under the mental health act for two weeks

    I am still not right now but slowly getting there

    Never suffer in silence

    Hats off to Chris Kirkland
    Sludgey Boy you are a good un mate and you fly under the banner of this fine football club. All power to you and your's my man. Best wishes Joe.

  10. #10

    Re: Kirkland and depression

    Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    In January the stress of coping with my father's death from Alzheimer's , four years of caring for him and a family break up made me suicidal

    I first took 100 paracetamol but woke up , got myself to hospital in Bridgend and they stabilised me but I was on a mission to end my life so as soon as I was released I went home and cut my jugular with a kitchen knife , they patched me up and I was sectioned under the mental health act for two weeks

    I am still not right now but slowly getting there

    Never suffer in silence

    Hats off to Chris Kirkland
    All the best with your battle sludge. You and Kirkland are brave men talking about your struggles. Respect!

  11. #11
    International TH63's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Thornhill
    Posts
    13,578

    Re: Kirkland and depression

    I have someone close to a family member who suffers from depression/anxiety.

    On the face of it, this person has their own home, a job, a loving partner, a family. Pretty much all anyone needs from life. To someone like me, the instinctive response is "What have they got to be unhappy about?" But I do recognise that it is a genuine and very real illness. I am naturally a bit of a control freak and would love to be able to help/resolve their issues, but it's so frustrating not knowing what to do or say to help.

    Sludgey boy, you are of course an absolute scoundrel but you're OUR scoundrel and I'm so sorry to hear how down you've been. You highlight another big issue, people can come across in such a way that others don't see their hidden demons.

    Kudos to you for sharing some of what you've been going through, as I said earlier, I don't know what to say or do to help, but if there is anything, then let us know.

  12. #12

    Re: Kirkland and depression

    Quote Originally Posted by joecity View Post
    Good piece that. Good luck to him. Footballer's are just everyday people who are better at football than other people.
    Yep. Chances are, there's people reading that thinking "how can he be depressed on 40k a week". But it doesn't work like that.

    Whenever I run half marathons, my charity is always MIND. It's one of the bleakest illnesses around (sorry if illness is the wrong word) and anyone suffering to any degree gets best wishes from me.

  13. #13

    Re: Kirkland and depression

    Thats so said and there are no words that can help, what you see on the out side is not what he is going through, hope th FA gives him all the help he needs.

  14. #14

    Re: Kirkland and depression

    Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    In January the stress of coping with my father's death from Alzheimer's , four years of caring for him and a family break up made me suicidal

    I first took 100 paracetamol but woke up , got myself to hospital in Bridgend and they stabilised me but I was on a mission to end my life so as soon as I was released I went home and cut my jugular with a kitchen knife , they patched me up and I was sectioned under the mental health act for two weeks

    I am still not right now but slowly getting there

    Never suffer in silence

    Hats off to Chris Kirkland
    and hats off to you fella. Sincerely

  15. #15

    Re: Kirkland and depression

    Quote Originally Posted by Norfolk Bluebird View Post
    Sludge all the best mate hopefully you won't need to suffer in silence, stay strong mate.
    Thanks mate doing a lot better now

  16. #16

    Re: Kirkland and depression

    Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Sludge, I'm sure you have friends aplenty, but never forget that you them on here as well.




    Thanks Bob

  17. #17

    Re: Kirkland and depression

    Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Sludge, be strong mate. Be one of the success stories.
    I am getting there thanks mate

  18. #18

    Re: Kirkland and depression

    Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    You are not alone Sludge. Take care.

    One in four they say

  19. #19

    Re: Kirkland and depression

    Quote Originally Posted by joecity View Post
    Sludgey Boy you are a good un mate and you fly under the banner of this fine football club. All power to you and your's my man. Best wishes Joe.
    Kayrrrdiff

  20. #20

    Re: Kirkland and depression

    Quote Originally Posted by Richyrich View Post
    All the best with your battle sludge. You and Kirkland are brave men talking about your struggles. Respect!
    Thanks , have lots of support , cheers

  21. #21

    Re: Kirkland and depression

    Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    I have someone close to a family member who suffers from depression/anxiety.

    On the face of it, this person has their own home, a job, a loving partner, a family. Pretty much all anyone needs from life. To someone like me, the instinctive response is "What have they got to be unhappy about?" But I do recognise that it is a genuine and very real illness. I am naturally a bit of a control freak and would love to be able to help/resolve their issues, but it's so frustrating not knowing what to do or say to help.

    Sludgey boy, you are of course an absolute scoundrel but you're OUR scoundrel and I'm so sorry to hear how down you've been. You highlight another big issue, people can come across in such a way that others don't see their hidden demons.

    Kudos to you for sharing some of what you've been going through, as I said earlier, I don't know what to say or do to help, but if there is anything, then let us know.
    I am under the care of a brilliant psychiatrist and on medication , thanks for your kind words

  22. #22

    Re: Kirkland and depression

    Quote Originally Posted by Kitman View Post
    and hats off to you fella. Sincerely
    Thank you

  23. #23

    Re: Kirkland and depression

    Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Yep. Chances are, there's people reading that thinking "how can he be depressed on 40k a week". But it doesn't work like that.

    Whenever I run half marathons, my charity is always MIND. It's one of the bleakest illnesses around (sorry if illness is the wrong word) and anyone suffering to any degree gets best wishes from me.
    Good on you , mind are brilliant

  24. #24

    Re: Kirkland and depression

    Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    In January the stress of coping with my father's death from Alzheimer's , four years of caring for him and a family break up made me suicidal

    I first took 100 paracetamol but woke up , got myself to hospital in Bridgend and they stabilised me but I was on a mission to end my life so as soon as I was released I went home and cut my jugular with a kitchen knife , they patched me up and I was sectioned under the mental health act for two weeks

    I am still not right now but slowly getting there

    Never suffer in silence

    Hats off to Chris Kirkland
    Awwww, if you need help or anything, always hit me up

  25. #25

    Re: Kirkland and depression

    Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    In January the stress of coping with my father's death from Alzheimer's , four years of caring for him and a family break up made me suicidal

    I first took 100 paracetamol but woke up , got myself to hospital in Bridgend and they stabilised me but I was on a mission to end my life so as soon as I was released I went home and cut my jugular with a kitchen knife , they patched me up and I was sectioned under the mental health act for two weeks

    I am still not right now but slowly getting there

    Never suffer in silence

    Hats off to Chris Kirkland
    Stay strong Sludge!

    You are one of my favourite posters on here with your tips about 'birds' and advice on what music I and others should be listening too. It's always totally wrong mind lol. I always look out for your posts as I know they will bring a big smile to my face

    Previously you mentioned getting a dog. Have you got one yet? If not, go get one, provided you are strong enough to look after it. They are a good reason to get up in the morning, good company (mine never answers me back like my ex wife and various girlfriends did). After bit of training she nearly always does as I say. Once again unlike various ex's who always did the complete opposite, and as the old saying goes 'they are man's best friend'. I couldn't be without one

  26. #26

    Re: Kirkland and depression

    At least you don't keep spiders . Now they would tip you over the edge

  27. #27

    Re: Kirkland and depression

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    Stay strong Sludge!

    You are one of my favourite posters on here with your tips about 'birds' and advice on what music I and others should be listening too. It's always totally wrong mind lol. I always look out for your posts as I know they will bring a big smile to my face

    Previously you mentioned getting a dog. Have you got one yet? If not, go get one, provided you are strong enough to look after it. They are a good reason to get up in the morning, good company (mine never answers me back like my ex wife and various girlfriends did). After bit of training she nearly always does as I say. Once again unlike various ex's who always did the complete opposite, and as the old saying goes 'they are man's best friend'. I couldn't be without one
    Cheers mate I intend to get a dog when I am a lot better but I am still on the stalk

  28. #28

    Re: Kirkland and depression

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Siffredi View Post
    At least you don't keep spiders . Now they would tip you over the edge
    Spiders are for people who wear black leather gimp suits

  29. #29

    Re: Kirkland and depression

    Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Cheers mate I intend to get a dog when I am a lot better but I am still on the stalk
    Just read your post on getting a greyhound. A very noble thought, on getting a rescue one. As others have mentioned they do need a lot of exercise though

  30. #30

    Re: Kirkland and depression

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    Just read your post on getting a greyhound. A very noble thought, on getting a rescue one. As others have mentioned they do need a lot of exercise though
    So does sludge if he's going to keep up with those lady dog walkers he has his dirty rotter eyes on..

  31. #31

    Re: Kirkland and depression

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    Just read your post on getting a greyhound. A very noble thought, on getting a rescue one. As others have mentioned they do need a lot of exercise though
    I would only ever get a dog from a rescue centre , dogs trust or RSPCA

  32. #32

    Re: Kirkland and depression

    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    So does sludge if he's going to keep up with those lady dog walkers he has his dirty rotter eyes on..
    I just pepper spray or taser them , easy

  33. #33

    Re: Kirkland and depression

    Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    In January the stress of coping with my father's death from Alzheimer's , four years of caring for him and a family break up made me suicidal

    I first took 100 paracetamol but woke up , got myself to hospital in Bridgend and they stabilised me but I was on a mission to end my life so as soon as I was released I went home and cut my jugular with a kitchen knife , they patched me up and I was sectioned under the mental health act for two weeks

    I am still not right now but slowly getting there

    Never suffer in silence

    Hats off to Chris Kirkland
    That is some serious stuff Sludge,hope you can stay strong and get well.Just think of all the birds out there fella waiting for you to pounce.You are one of the posters on here that always makes me smile thanx.

  34. #34

    Re: Kirkland and depression

    Great to hear you're feeling better Sludge.

  35. #35

    Re: Kirkland and depression

    1 of my dogs always looks at its arse when it farts. Geniuenly surprised by it.

  36. #36

    Re: Kirkland and depression

    Sorry to hear of your troubles, Sludge. I hope your recovery continues and you're back to full fitness soon.

    PS Very brave to be open about what you've been through. I hope you take heart from that.
    Last edited by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays; 12-10-17 at 19:42. Reason: Thought of something else

  37. #37

    Re: Kirkland and depression

    Thanks guys

    I have an excellent psychiatrist and I am on the drug sertraline which is like Prozac but better

    Getting back into my fishing and getting a raging hard on every time I see a woman so i am back on track

  38. #38

    Re: Kirkland and depression

    Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    In January the stress of coping with my father's death from Alzheimer's , four years of caring for him and a family break up made me suicidal

    I first took 100 paracetamol but woke up , got myself to hospital in Bridgend and they stabilised me but I was on a mission to end my life so as soon as I was released I went home and cut my jugular with a kitchen knife , they patched me up and I was sectioned under the mental health act for two weeks

    I am still not right now but slowly getting there

    Never suffer in silence

    Hats off to Chris Kirkland
    Hats off to you too Sludge, I'm sure it can't be easy to talk about your ordeal. I remember when your dad was ill, and some of the family problems at the time. It was obvious back then that you were shouldering a lot of the burden, but what can you do? You had a responsibility to your dad, and from my limited understanding of events, I reckon that you did him proud.

    Stay strong mate - I know you only through this forum, and there have been times you have had me in stitches. It's good to see you posting here again and if it helps to unload some shit onto a complete stranger then I am always available.

  39. #39

    Re: Kirkland and depression

    Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    In January the stress of coping with my father's death from Alzheimer's , four years of caring for him and a family break up made me suicidal

    I first took 100 paracetamol but woke up , got myself to hospital in Bridgend and they stabilised me but I was on a mission to end my life so as soon as I was released I went home and cut my jugular with a kitchen knife , they patched me up and I was sectioned under the mental health act for two weeks

    I am still not right now but slowly getting there

    Never suffer in silence

    Hats off to Chris Kirkland
    Shiiit mate, takes some balls to open up like that.

    Like most people on here, I only know you through this place but what I'm pretty sure of is this - you're one of life's good guys and the world would be a little bit shitter without you. What you went through with your old man obviously took its toll but the fact that you were willing to go through it speaks volumes about the type of person you are.

    Glad to hear your doing better these days and just remember:

    1. You did your old man proud mate.

    2. If you ever find yourself slipping back downhill, talk to someone - don't suffer in silence.

    3. I've got a job lot of Hai Karate you can have at cost price - in my experience classy birds can't resist the stuff.

    Look after yourself young man.

  40. #40

    Re: Kirkland and depression

    Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    In January the stress of coping with my father's death from Alzheimer's , four years of caring for him and a family break up made me suicidal

    I first took 100 paracetamol but woke up , got myself to hospital in Bridgend and they stabilised me but I was on a mission to end my life so as soon as I was released I went home and cut my jugular with a kitchen knife , they patched me up and I was sectioned under the mental health act for two weeks

    I am still not right now but slowly getting there

    Never suffer in silence

    Hats off to Chris Kirkland
    Stay stronge Sludgy and much respect for this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •