+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Operation Barbarossa and the eastern front , great book

Operation Barbarossa and the eastern front , great book

Micheal olive and Robert Edwards

Old photographs and written words showing the horror of Hitler's stupid mistake of trying to take on the red army

Not another beevor or enemy at the gates but a good book

Re: Operation Barbarossa and the eastern front , great book

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

Old photographs and written words showing the horror of Hitler's stupid mistake of trying to take on the red army

Was always on his 'agenda' though. The Germans were going eastward until us [and the French] declared war ..

I read Stalingrad by Beevor thought it was a very good book. You couldn't imagine it could you.

Quote Originally Posted by joecity View Post
    I read Stalingrad by Beevor thought it was a very good book. You couldn't imagine it could you.
    It's superb , enemy at the gates is even more disturbing one section tells how the German soldiers were so hungry and cold they started eating their own men , cannibalism ! ****ing horrific

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Was always on his 'agenda' though. The Germans were going eastward until us [and the French] declared war ..
    Hitler met an even bigger psychopath in Stalin

Cheers for the heads up Sludge. Will look out for it

Enemy at the gates, a cracking film

Am currently reading a book Himmler. It's pretty heavy going as it is so thorough

If you like reading, try reading one of Mick Wall's (a name that should be familiar to you as he was one of Kerrang's main writers in the 80s) books on metal and rock gods. He's written a fair few on the likes of Ozzy, Marillion, bon Jovi, Guns N Roses, Axl Rose, Sabbaff, Ac/DC, Lou reed, Iron Maiden and my favourite, When Giants Walked the Earth: A Biography of Led Zeppelin

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    Cheers for the heads up Sludge. Will look out for it

Enemy at the gates, a cracking film

Am currently reading a book Himmler. It's pretty heavy going as it is so thorough

If you like reading, try reading one of Mick Wall's (a name that should be familiar to you as he was one of Kerrang's main writers in the 80s) books on metal and rock gods. He's written a fair few on the likes of Ozzy, Marillion, bon Jovi, Guns N Roses, Axl Rose, Sabbaff, Ac/DC, Lou reed, Iron Maiden and my favourite, When Giants Walked the Earth: A Biography of Led Zeppelin
    At Stalingrad the Germans in the Russian pow camps would go through each others crap looking for undigested food !! It's all in the enemy at the gates book it's horrific

Aware of Mick wall lol

Only zep book I have is hammer of the gods

What is it about Germany's history?
    I hadn't heard of this one until today -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-a...first-genocide

At Stalingrad the Germans in the Russian pow camps would go through each others crap looking for undigested food !! It's all in the enemy at the gates book it's horrific

Aware of Mick wall lol

Only zep book I have is hammer of the gods
    Hammer of the Gods. Yes, I read that when it first came out. Damn good read too. All these books on led Zep keep the myth and legend of the band burning bright on what it is, or was rather, to be in a rock n' roll band. Sex n' drugs n' rock n' roll indeed!

Any one read Chariot of the Gods By Erich Von Danicken. Slightly off topic sorry but i used to buzz of shit like that and then read more provable/recent history as a counterweight.

Any one read Chariot of the Gods By Erich Von Danicken. Slightly off topic sorry but i used to buzz of shit like that and then read more provable/recent history as a counterweight.
    I read it in the 1970's. He sounds convincing at times, but too often presents the flimsiest of evidence and hearsay as factual proo of alien visits.

Feedback

The Germans would have won if Hitler let his generals make the decisions early on in the war

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    I read it in the 1970's. He sounds convincing at times, but too often presents the flimsiest of evidence and hearsay as factual proo of alien visits.
    Mate he doesn't really convince you are so right but I so badly wanted to believe when I was young. Was properly thrilled until you read it properly.

Quote Originally Posted by TISS View Post
    The Germans would have won if Hitler let his generals make the decisions early on in the war
    Instead he got into all sorts of drugs and went off his head , the Prussian generals were battle hardened experts and he ignored them

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    Hammer of the Gods. Yes, I read that when it first came out. Damn good read too. All these books on led Zep keep the myth and legend of the band burning bright on what it is, or was rather, to be in a rock n' roll band. Sex n' drugs n' rock n' roll indeed!
    I was born to be a sex crazed drug fuelled lunatic in a rock band but my bass playing was total crap

What is it about Germany's history?
    I hadn't heard of this one until today -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-a...first-genocide
    Shocking isn't it

What about white America's genocide of the native red Indians ?

What a **** buffalo Bill was

Instead he got into all sorts of drugs and went off his head , the Prussian generals were battle hardened experts and he ignored them
    They invented Methadone didn't they cause of a shortage of raw opium the Germans. Interestingly (sort Of) banned in Russia.

They invented Methadone didn't they cause of a shortage of raw opium the Germans. Interestingly (sort Of) banned in Russia.
    Him and Goering were off their heads on all sorts

It's superb , enemy at the gates is even more disturbing one section tells how the German soldiers were so hungry and cold they started eating their own men , cannibalism ! ****ing horrific
    Who is the author of Enemy At The Gates?

Remember reading or was it seeing about the sh*t to wake him up, the sh*t to put him to sleep. The sh*t to make him concentrate Hitler for that one etc plus there was a class documentary about Goering and his Opium habit and his early days and marriage into society noted family if you like. Much the easier to be a tool when you can;t feel your face if that's not downplaying the evil what they did.

Shocking isn't it

What about white America's genocide of the native red Indians ?

What a **** buffalo Bill was
    And Kit Carson, and Custer...

Have you read "Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee", by Dee Brown?

Excellent, and heartbreaking in parts.
    The genocide of the Native American was started by us Brits, way before the Yanks went independent.

Quote Originally Posted by Maccy Blue View Post
    Who is the author of Enemy At The Gates?
    William Craig , cheap as chips second hand , heavy reading though

The genocide of the Native American was started by us Brits, way before the Yanks went independent.
    No but I will

Never knew that ,i will look that up.

Cheers. Will download a copy later. I am just finishing off Stalingrad. I think that glosses over just how really bad things were so look forward to reading the true picture.

Read some good books recently. Rogue Heroes about the SAS. And a book called Mossad - the great operations of Israel's secret service.